The Student Room Group

Was spending 10K on this stock a good or bad idea?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FauxHydon
I paid 5k for my 2 bedroom house, you just have to find the right house

how did you manage this?
Original post by Quady
Are you sure it wasn't over £100k?
Or was this mortgage you needed for another property?
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=89771104&highlight=

Original post by yeetouttawindow
how did you manage this?

The house I bought cost £104k (negotiated from £110k), I put down a 5% deposit which was £5.2k (+ other costs so total came to about £6.5k all in), £98.8k mortgaged. That post is for my current property, because I got a 2 year fixed mortgage, it's going to end when I'm in my third year of uni so was just wondering about the re-mortgaging process as my income will drop due to part time work.

The property is in Derbyshire if anyone is wondering, but if I bought the house now, it would be even less. You don't actually need as much money as people tend to believe to buy a house, some banks even do a 0% deposit mortgage. I used to think I needed more than £30k to buy one, but that's not necessarily the case. Of course, it would be around larger cities like London, in more rural areas, it's a lot cheaper. I bought the house alone and it's not like I'm in an extremely high paying job, £25k a year.
Reply 22
The house I bought cost £104k (negotiated from £110k), I put down a 5% deposit which was £5.2k (+ other costs so total came to about £6.5k all in), £98.8k mortgaged. That post is for my current property, because I got a 2 year fixed mortgage, it's going to end when I'm in my third year of uni so was just wondering about the re-mortgaging process as my income will drop due to part time work.

The property is in Derbyshire if anyone is wondering, but if I bought the house now, it would be even less. You don't actually need as much money as people tend to believe to buy a house, some banks even do a 0% deposit mortgage. I used to think I needed more than £30k to buy one, but that's not necessarily the case. Of course, it would be around larger cities like London, in more rural areas, it's a lot cheaper. I bought the house alone and it's not like I'm in an extremely high paying job, £25k a year.

So on a £6.5k investment you incurred £1,300 costs just through the transaction?
ie 20% loss just in the act of purchasing the asset

What yield are you getting net of tax/mortgage interest?
I paid 5k for my 2 bedroom house, you just have to find the right house

What? You mean you paid £5k rent for the year upfront :lol:
Original post by Quady
So on a £6.5k investment you incurred £1,300 costs just through the transaction?
ie 20% loss just in the act of purchasing the asset

What yield are you getting net of tax/mortgage interest?

You can't go around it, you'll have to pay the surveyors and conveyancers on top of the deposit. Good luck finding them for free! I refurbished the house a little bit, mainly DIY and it was valued at £120k, so I'm sure I got that 20% loss back for purchasing the asset :smile:

Original post by RoyalSheepy
What? You mean you paid £5k rent for the year upfront :lol:

Deposit for a mortgage :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending