PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Synergy_)
Can I ask if you enjoyed it? My brother is nervous about it too.
It depends on what things I enjoyed. I enjoyed the teachers and my lessons because I genuinely enjoyed those A levels. I can't say the same with most of the people in my year tho :ahee:
Libbymoonbeam26
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by purplegoldfish)
Completely honestly, what was sixth form like?
I think everyone's sixth form experience is very different as it is very dependent on what type of student you are.

If you, like me, are a conscientious student who wants to do well and go to a Russell Group university, Sixth Form can be very stressful. Especially when you are the sandwich year and the years above and below you have had their exams cancelled and the government is yet to give you any detailed information about yours (thanks, Corona).
It is a lot more independent, which I personally like. You have fewer contact hours in lessons and are expected to complete a lot more independent study outside your contact hours. Your homework will increase drastically and will take longer to complete. I was getting a piece a week from each of my GCSE subjects and now I get 2-3 pieces a week from each A-Level subject, so really you're just doing more of individual subjects rather than a little of multiple subjects.
There is more to think about outside of your studies too, like your university/apprenticeship/Post-18 path application. I am currently at the end of Year 12 and things are very busy with personal statement drafts, wider learning and university application research. Whereas at GCSE, you were totally focused on your GCSEs and didn't really have to worry about your next steps (other than choosing your sixth form and A-Level choices), at A-Level, from the get-go you have to be thinking about your next steps.
However, I was terrified about sixth form. It horrified me that there was so much content and so little time to complete it all. I was terrified that 2 years (less, in reality, because of holidays and such) can either make or break my future. Now, I realise that I really didn't need to be THAT scared about it. Do your best, work hard, don't waste your study periods and you'll be fine. <3
Libby
Last edited by Libbymoonbeam26; 2 weeks ago
Edminzodo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Synergy_)
That is so impressive! Did it take time for you to achieve a good life at uni? Or was it good/ much better from the beginning of your first year?
My Sixth Form only had about 220 people. It's hard to find friends for life in those kind of numbers. Don't get me wrong, I made a few friends in Sixth Form, but all of my closest friends came at university. I just threw myself in, trying everything, and there was such a massive pool of people that I found my real friends.
badoom1234
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Turtle01)
4 subjects is a lot, plus an EPQ???? I take 3 plus an EPQ and that's enough! Maybe you could drop one?
Na they are pretty enjoyable, except Bio, I hate Bio
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I found it very different, even though it was in the same building. The step up to A levels is considerable, some of the freedoms you gain you have to learn to use wisely, and being in the same school for yet another two years heightens any differences you have (even small things such as something you don't like the look of). The there is the challenge that it's the grades you get being the most important part of exams, not just passing them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (34)
8%
Confident (55)
12.94%
Indifferent (60)
14.12%
Unsure (110)
25.88%
Worried (166)
39.06%

Watched Threads

Latest