ub123abc123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by litxrallybri)
Hi everyone!! Haven't been on TSR for a hot minute, gives me flashbacks to deconstructing exams on GCSE postmortem threads haha! I've got my DC in just over a week, v excited but also terrified for the teaching episode!! Really not sure what to expect, I'm hoping the email will clarify Any tips would be super appreciated! x
Congrats on getting through to the next stage, I assume your DC is over zoom also?
If so, it's only 4 minutes so it goes by really fast, prepare yourself for some interruptions by the 'student' and you'll be grand, may not happen but you never know. When they ask, really reflect on how it went, what was good and what you can improve and use those reflection in the second teaching episode!
Srep20
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by litxrallybri)
Hi everyone!! Haven't been on TSR for a hot minute, gives me flashbacks to deconstructing exams on GCSE postmortem threads haha! I've got my DC in just over a week, v excited but also terrified for the teaching episode!! Really not sure what to expect, I'm hoping the email will clarify Any tips would be super appreciated! x
Hi!! I had my DC on Friday and received an offer yesterday! In terms of the teaching episode, it was the element I was most scared of but became my favourite part of the day! The best advice I can give is to plan two sections to your episode. In mine, despite practicing it hundreds of times with friends and family to be within the 4 minutes, in the real thing there were so many interruptions from the student or technical difficulties that delayed everything meaning I only got through about 1/3 of what I had planned and it was obvious I’d been cut short! If I could do it again I would’ve planned a much shorter activity with a “back up” second half just in case, so no matter how much I got through it would look like I’d finished everything I planned to! I hope that makes sense!!

What subject are you applying to teach for your episode?

Good luck!!! x
aceofspades89
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi everyone! I am currently completing the finishing touches on my application and will get it sent off later today. I was just wondering if anyone knows at what stage would they ask for references? I'm in a sticky situation where I wouldn't want my employer to know I am leaving until I actually hand in my notice. Any advice/info regarding this would be super helpful.Huge well done to those of you who have progressed/received offers!
Srep20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by aceofspades89)
Hi everyone! I am currently completing the finishing touches on my application and will get it sent off later today. I was just wondering if anyone knows at what stage would they ask for references? I'm in a sticky situation where I wouldn't want my employer to know I am leaving until I actually hand in my notice. Any advice/info regarding this would be super helpful.Huge well done to those of you who have progressed/received offers!
They only ask for references after you receive an offer !
TheGreatHatsby
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Srep20)
They only ask for references after you receive an offer !
aceofspades89 And even then you can request that they don’t contact your current employer and use a character reference and your previous employer instead.
rockacham
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey everyone, I applied for Teach First over 10 working days ago and still haven't received a response. Does this mean I haven't passed the initial screening? I thought I would at least get a response to say I've been unsuccessful, but apparently not.
Last edited by rockacham; 3 weeks ago
xSkyFire
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by TheGreatHatsby)
I was a late application for last year and places in my subject/area had already filled up so they offered me a place for 2021 instead.
If you genuinely want to be a teacher then you should look at other routes for 2021 too. TeachFirst isn't for everyone and has a lot of fundamental problems. I'm a TF ambassador having done it back in 2016, I was never of the mentality that "I want to be a teacher", however I did believe in improving social mobility and I was still undecided what route I wanted to take having just left clinical research.

TeachFirst has the benefit of corporate partners so I ended up becoming a financial analyst later on, however if you are set on being a teacher then a PGCE would probably be better.

I've raised with TeachFirst the issue of not being selective enough with where they place participants as many schools have taken advantage of the program and replaced a lot of experienced staff with TF as a way to save money. Then there are special measures schools which TF puts a lot of participants in as those schools mean you make "the biggest impact". However, those schools are not equipped to adequately train someone as a teacher, especially one with just 6 weeks of training.

TF needs to reform how they execute their strategy and ensure they listen more to their participants rather than throw their typical buzzwords around like "impact", "resilience" etc. Many participants who would have otherwise made good teachers get put off and leave the profession entirely.

I personally left because I live in London and I want to be able to comfortably afford a property, nice car, nice holidays and also to invest into my own side businesses. Not something you can do as a teacher which is the reality of the profession.
hj172
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi everyone,I applied to TF on the 14/07 and just had an email telling me that due to Covid 19 there has been an unprecedented amount of applications, and the wait time has been increased to 20 working days! I’m a career changer and have never wanted something more than I have this! My order of preference was primary, science, English in London/South East...really hoping I get to hear soon if I have made it to the DC stage. Does anyone from TF contact you by phone prior to hearing about true DC or is everything over email?
kenlai1996
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by hj172)
Hi everyone,I applied to TF on the 14/07 and just had an email telling me that due to Covid 19 there has been an unprecedented amount of applications, and the wait time has been increased to 20 working days! I’m a career changer and have never wanted something more than I have this! My order of preference was primary, science, English in London/South East...really hoping I get to hear soon if I have made it to the DC stage. Does anyone from TF contact you by phone prior to hearing about true DC or is everything over email?
Got the same email. Been in industry for a year, looking to come back to the UK and do something I've always wanted to do.
Looking to teach Science/Maths in West Midlands/North West. Fingers crossed I'll be accepted.
Last edited by kenlai1996; 2 weeks ago
ub123abc123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by hj172)
Hi, can imagine how frustrating it is to wait around for an answer but all of my correspondence about the dc was through email so I believe it will be the same for you unless with Covid they have a different approach.
rockacham
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi everyone! I just got my email about my DC, which has been scheduled for some point in the autumn. I applied on 02/7, and it took 12-13 working days. So please don't be stressed if you haven't received an invite yet! Good luck to you all ☺️
hj172
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thanks guys! Had an email today confirming my DC!
aceofspades89
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by hj172)
Thanks guys! Had an email today confirming my DC!
Aw amazing, congrats! Do you know when it will be? I’m also changing careers and so excited about Teach First. I applied on 17/07 so not expecting to hear back any time soon but we’ll see eh!
AB1998u
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi, just submitted my application last week. U guys heard anything from them?
RobBilson
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AB1998u)
Hi, just submitted my application last week. U guys heard anything from them?
I heard back on exactly the 10th working day since my application, and was invited to an assessment centre - and I then heard back about that exactly 10 working days later! Good luck 😊
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi, just in case anyone is confused, I've merged two 2021 application threads together!
rg.c
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by username5327362)
Has anyone applied to teach first yet for the 2021 cohort ?
Hi, I have applied for the 2021 cohort. I applied to teach English at a Secondary school/Primary school level. I submitted my application on 14/07/2020 and got an email about a week ago saying that they've received several applications this year and so they will be getting back to people within 20 working days instead of 10. I'm very nervous!!!! Has anyone else received an email like that?
litxrallybri
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Just got my offer for secondary MFL in the south west!!!! so excited
rg.c
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
UPDATE: I received an email inviting me to a DC yesterday. I am very happy! My invitation came 9 working days after my application.
wiwp
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by rg.c)
Hi, I have applied for the 2021 cohort. I applied to teach English at a Secondary school/Primary school level. I submitted my application on 14/07/2020 and got an email about a week ago saying that they've received several applications this year and so they will be getting back to people within 20 working days instead of 10. I'm very nervous!!!! Has anyone else received an email like that?
Same .... unsurprising that they’ve gotten more applications but also quite worrying ... less of a chance of getting an offer I guess :/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise