Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i got into Reading university to do biological science. On Ucas i did not put on deffered entry and i wont be starting this year, im taking a gap year. i phoned up Reading uni and they told me its okay they can deffer me to 2009 i just have to email them.

I recieved better grades than they were asking for like A,B for psycho and bio that were full A levels and A,A for two AS's, socio and geo. they initially asked for 300 points and B in either bio or psychology.

so i had an idea, to reapply through ucas to see if i can get into a higher ranked uni in london. like kings or even to try imperial.

so i was wondering how i will do it .

do i cancel reading now ,

or do i keep them thinking ill start with them in 2009 and reapply now in the meantime. because i would like to keep them,so incase i dont get into the ones i will apply to in 2009.

how do i go about reapplyin.

i would appreciate any help.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you have to get released from the place at reading in order to be considered for other universities for the 2009 intake. Because surely the reading place shows up on your UCAS, and you'd have to apply with your personal statement etc through UCAS.

If you were to reapply I would have thought you'd almost surely have to give up the Reading place in order to do so...

ReputationRep:
    You would have to ask Reading to release you and re-apply all over again...

ReputationRep:
    You can't carry over a confirmed place and re-apply for 2009 at the same time, so you would have to give up the place at Reading.

It's important to realise that grades do not guarantee offers, and in your case with only 2 A2s (if I have read your post correctly) and 2 ASs you would not be likely to get an offer from King's or Imperial, who generally insist on 3 full A2s if not on AAA.

TBH, I would say that 340 points against 300 is not a huge difference, and certainly not one that suggests that re-applying is really worth the risk. You might set your sights higher but end up with a lot of rejections, and therefore no 'better off' than you are now.

It's also a bad idea to base uni choice on its reputation; the course and the 'feel' of the uni is much much more important.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking to cancel this offer now, then reapply to the unis i want and also reapply to Reading once more , so incase i dont get into e.g kings i still have the grades to get into Reading again.

is this possible.

ReputationRep:
    yes... But you won't necessarily be offered a place this time around... Is it really worth the risk? What would you spend this year doing?

ReputationRep:
    im travelling the middle east , i want to learn the arabic language , might get work expereince on the way if i have time.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you have a plan and are willing to risk possible rejections, then I'd say go for it!

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.