Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
My parents are really pushing me to start purchasing things for university and I do understand why they would but it’s the fact that I don’t know if I’ll get a place at university.

What can I do?
FunkyHotdog
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My parents are really pushing me to start purchasing things for university and I do understand why they would but it’s the fact that I don’t know if I’ll get a place at university.

What can I do?
Hi! I understand your situation as I am the same. I've just started making a big list/mindmap of stuff I think I'll need to buy/ bring so that when it comes to shopping time I should be all ready to go! Obviously everyone is different but I'm not going to buy a thing until I know for certain I'm going to need it. What's the point in buying cutlery and a cheese grater when you don't know you're going to use it, right? Idk, try explaining it that way to your parents that you wouldn't want to waste money. And ofc it depends if you have considered other options such as clearing etc... GL!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by FunkyHotdog)
Hi! I understand your situation as I am the same. I've just started making a big list/mindmap of stuff I think I'll need to buy/ bring so that when it comes to shopping time I should be all ready to go! Obviously everyone is different but I'm not going to buy a thing until I know for certain I'm going to need it. What's the point in buying cutlery and a cheese grater when you don't know you're going to use it, right? Idk, try explaining it that way to your parents that you wouldn't want to waste money. And ofc it depends if you have considered other options such as clearing etc... GL!
Great idea with the mind maps and lists, I’ll start to make some and like you’ve said it will make it a lot easier to buy when the time comes.

My exact thinking!
I know that when I do buy for university it’s going to cost quite a bit of money so the idea of wasting money is really the main reason putting me off.

Thanks again for the idea of mind maps and lists!
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi Anonymous
That’s a tricky situation to be in, maybe you could write lists of the things you need to purchase and where you can get them from to so show your parents your getting prepared in terms of thinking about it but not actually committing to buying things yet. At my uni (Lancaster) during freshers they have a scheme where old students have donated stuff that’s in good quality and other students can come purchase things at a cheaper price so you should be able to find things that you need at the shops/ university when you go as well.
Hope this helps
Lancater Uni student ambassador
UniofReading
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

What can I do?
Hi,

This can be a tricky situation. Personally I found I purchased the most random items I didn't really need at uni, however, when I got there and started to live there that was when I was able to buy the most practical things so I definitely think holding off is a good idea! I would make a list of the most crucial things that you will need e.g. cutlery, and bedding etc so that when you know for sure you can buy exactly what you need! I think if you show them your preparedness it might help.

Hope this helps you!
From,

Amina - Student Rep
Anonymous #1
(Original post by UniofReading)
Hi,

This can be a tricky situation. Personally I found I purchased the most random items I didn't really need at uni, however, when I got there and started to live there that was when I was able to buy the most practical things so I definitely think holding off is a good idea! I would make a list of the most crucial things that you will need e.g. cutlery, and bedding etc so that when you know for sure you can buy exactly what you need! I think if you show them your preparedness it might help.

Hope this helps you!
From,

Amina - Student Rep
100% agree as I’m making lists and mind maps of things because like you’ve said showing them I’m prepared for when I need to buy will help with the situation
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (55)
8.89%
Confident (81)
13.09%
Indifferent (89)
14.38%
Unsure (159)
25.69%
Worried (235)
37.96%

Watched Threads