Martinaa.2004
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hello! This is the first time that I have posted on here and I was wondering if anyone knows the required tenses to learn for the A level Spanish course. I'm starting sixth form in September and have already started my transition work but was hoping to get a head start with higher level conjugation and tenses! If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be extremely useful! thank you in advance
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Martinaa.2004)
Hello! This is the first time that I have posted on here and I was wondering if anyone knows the required tenses to learn for the A level Spanish course. I'm starting sixth form in September and have already started my transition work but was hoping to get a head start with higher level conjugation and tenses! If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be extremely useful! thank you in advance
I'm not sure on what specific tenses you need to know, but if I were you, I would try to learn all of them, especially the subjunctive ones (apart from the future subjunctive as I highly doubt you'll encounter it in A level): https://www.wordreference.com/conj/ESverbs.aspx?v=estar

If you're finding it difficult to actively learn all of the tenses, I would definitely just learn to recognise them and their usages. This is what myself and most other languages students did at university.

As an aside, a few years ago, I made a comprehensive thread on the Scottish equivalent of A level Spanish. Although it might not be directly relevant to your course, I hope that it could still be of some use to you (especially the document I made with excellent writing/speaking phrases): https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=2320896

Higher Spanish = AS
Advanced Higher Spanish = A2
Last edited by Quick-use; 3 months ago
Martinaa.2004
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
I'm not sure on what specific tenses you need to know, but if I were you, I would try to learn all of them, especially the subjunctive ones (apart from the future subjunctive as I highly doubt you'll encounter it in A level): https://www.wordreference.com/conj/ESverbs.aspx?v=estar

If you're finding it difficult to actively learn all of the tenses, I would definitely just learn to recognise them and their usages. This is what myself and most other languages students did at university.

As an aside, a few years ago, I made a comprehensive thread on the Scottish equivalent of A level Spanish. Although it might not be directly relevant to your course, I hope that it could still be of some use to you (especially the document I made with excellent writing/speaking phrases): https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=2320896

Higher Spanish = AS
Advanced Higher Spanish = A2
Thank you so much for all your help!! I really appreciate it and will definitely make use of those resources
MyLanguageLab
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hola,

This is the list (you'll find it in your exam board specification booklet as well FYI):

* present 

* preterite 

* imperfect 

* future 

* conditional 

* perfect 

* future perfect 

* conditional perfect 

* pluperfect
* subjunctive

I'd brush up on the GCSE tenses you learnt so that you can then focus more on the compound tenses in Spanish such as the perfect tense. The main jump from GCSE to AS is that you need to be more fluid with your use of tenses, ie, use a variety of tenses in one verb, pay greater attention to irregular endings (things you might've got away with in GCSE but can't in AS!) and use more sophisticated synonyms, ie, instead of 'decir', use 'destacar', 'subrayar', 'comentar' etc.
Martinaa.2004
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by MyLanguageLab)
Hola,

This is the list (you'll find it in your exam board specification booklet as well FYI):

* present 

* preterite 

* imperfect 

* future 

* conditional 

* perfect 

* future perfect 

* conditional perfect 

* pluperfect
* subjunctive

I'd brush up on the GCSE tenses you learnt so that you can then focus more on the compound tenses in Spanish such as the perfect tense. The main jump from GCSE to AS is that you need to be more fluid with your use of tenses, ie, use a variety of tenses in one verb, pay greater attention to irregular endings (things you might've got away with in GCSE but can't in AS!) and use more sophisticated synonyms, ie, instead of 'decir', use 'destacar', 'subrayar', 'comentar' etc.
Thank you SO much!! I am yet to receive any exam specification but can imagine that i should get some more information on enrolment day. Thank you so much for your help, i really appreciate it!!!
MyLanguageLab
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thank you SO much!! I am yet to receive any exam specification but can imagine that i should get some more information on enrolment day. Thank you so much for your help, i really appreciate it!!!
De nada, you're welcome! The specification is the same regardless of exam board, in terms of the list of verbs tenses and grammar constructions you need to learn so if you wanted to prep before the start of term, you can still go ahead
Martinaa.2004
Rep:
?
¡muchas gracias! I've been listening to spanish podcasts and completing transition work since March in order to maintain my proficiency but I'll definitely have a look online at some grammar lists as I can imagine that the jump from GCSE to a level is quite a lot. However I'm very excited to start in September
MyLanguageLab
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
¡muchas gracias! I've been listening to spanish podcasts and completing transition work since March in order to maintain my proficiency but I'll definitely have a look online at some grammar lists as I can imagine that the jump from GCSE to a level is quite a lot. However I'm very excited to start in September
Sounds like you're doing all the right things I'd recommend News in Slow Spanish and also the podcasts and videos in BBC El Mundo. Practise your verb and grammar drills and pay special attention to exceptions to the rules as this is where it's easy to lose marks at a level!
Martinaa.2004
Rep:
?
Sounds like you're doing all the right things I'd recommend News in Slow Spanish and also the podcasts and videos in BBC El Mundo. Practise your verb and grammar drills and pay special attention to exceptions to the rules as this is where it's easy to lose marks at a level!
Yes I frequently listen to both 'News In Slow Spanish' and also the Italian version!! I hope you don't mind me asking but do you have any other podcasts or tv shows that you recommend?? And thank you - i will definitely focus on both of those. Learning all the different tenses is definitely difficult to grasp but i'm slowly getting there haha
MyLanguageLab
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Ben and Marina (Notes in Spanish) podcast is really useful, you can subscribe to their podcast and listen on your phone so it’s really handy.

With TV shows, Netflix is super easy because their library is more extensive these days plus you have subtitles as well. I’d watch an episode of a series every week just so you immerse yourself in different accents and colloquial expressions
Martinaa.2004
Rep:
?
Ben and Marina (Notes in Spanish) podcast is really useful, you can subscribe to their podcast and listen on your phone so it’s really handy.

With TV shows, Netflix is super easy because their library is more extensive these days plus you have subtitles as well. I’d watch an episode of a series every week just so you immerse yourself in different accents and colloquial expressions
Thank you so much for all your help, it really means a lot!! I hope you have a lovely day
MyLanguageLab
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thank you so much for all your help, it really means a lot!! I hope you have a lovely day
You're more than welcome, so glad to have helped you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (153)
14.54%
I'm not sure (46)
4.37%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (312)
29.66%
I have already dropped out (27)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (514)
48.86%

Watched Threads