Told I wouldn’t be accepted for a PGDE - should I give up? Success stories wanted!

Watch
gemness88
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi! Sorry for any formatting issues I’m new here.

I’ve been working in a different career for 8+ years and it’s just not what I want to do for the rest of my life. To be honest, I fell into accidentally post-uni and have never liked it. I have a literature degree and I would love to go back to university and do a PGDE to teach secondary school, I believe I would be really good at it (although I appreciate just because I think that doesn’t mean it’s true).

I know I need a National 5 C/GSCE C in Maths to apply, which I don’t currently have, so I found a few courses that I could earn that qualification with and emailed what would have been my first choice university to ask if any of them would be accepted as an equivalent, along with a little bit of my background (which could have been my undoing, in hindsight).

I’ve just received an email response. I appreciate it’s a busy time, and I wasn’t expecting a particularly in-depth email, yes or no would have sufficed, but my question wasn’t even answered. However the person responding HAS responded to the fact I have a 2:2 honours degree and said that ‘this would not even be considered’.

I would understand if that had been said on the entry requirements online, but the online entry requirements say a 2:2 honours degree in a relevant subject to the one you want to teach (in my case, English).

I feel so defeated and mortified, quite frankly. This is what I want to do, but there’s not really the opportunity for me to redo university again to get a 2:1. I know it’s competitive and I’ve probably been naive but is this a dead end for me?

Has anyone else successfully managed to get on a PGDE with a 2:2?
Last edited by gemness88; 2 weeks ago
bluebeetle
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It seems a funny reply to get if their entry requirements don't state it. Perhaps they've started getting more applicants, and are being fussier as a result?

Anyway, definitely don't feel you need to give up because of this! Plenty of people I trained with had 2:2s. You might find that PGDE courses are looking for a more competitive academic background, as they are a relatively academic course. Perhaps a PGCE course or a SCITT course would be something to look into?
gemness88
Rep:
?
I’m in Scotland so it tends to be PGDE courses up here. I did think about going for a PGCE at an English university, but then you need to do a top up course to work at an Scottish school which appears to cost more than the PGDE itself! Not sure if there are grants for that though. I don’t think we do SCITT in Scotland.
bluebeetle
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by gemness88)
I’m in Scotland so it tends to be PGDE courses up here. I did think about going for a PGCE at an English university, but then you need to do a top up course to work at an Scottish school which appears to cost more than the PGDE itself! Not sure if there are grants for that though. I don’t think we do SCITT in Scotland.
That makes sense.

I'd still advise trying a few other universities in Scotland. It's definitely not the norm to advertise an entry requirement on the website and then go back on that.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You could train and work in England
gemness88
Rep:
?
Thanks, I did wonder. I know it’s competitive but it did feel a bit weird to be dismissed so quickly.I’ll contact a few other places and see if I get a more positive response, or at least an encouragement to try!
gemness88
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
You could train and work in England
I wouldn’t mind training and working in England! I have family there. However my husband might not want to leave his job here. I won’t rule it out though!
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I wouldn’t mind training and working in England! I have family there. However my husband might not want to leave his job here. I won’t rule it out though!
I have colleagues from Scotland and they'd never go back
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi! Sorry for any formatting issues I’m new here.

I’ve been working in a different career for 8+ years and it’s just not what I want to do for the rest of my life. To be honest, I fell into accidentally post-uni and have never liked it. I have a literature degree and I would love to go back to university and do a PGDE to teach secondary school, I believe I would be really good at it (although I appreciate just because I think that doesn’t mean it’s true).

I know I need a National 5 C/GSCE C in Maths to apply, which I don’t currently have, so I found a few courses that I could earn that qualification with and emailed what would have been my first choice university to ask if any of them would be accepted as an equivalent, along with a little bit of my background (which could have been my undoing, in hindsight).

I’ve just received an email response. I appreciate it’s a busy time, and I wasn’t expecting a particularly in-depth email, yes or no would have sufficed, but my question wasn’t even answered. However the person responding HAS responded to the fact I have a 2:2 honours degree and said that ‘this would not even be considered’.

I would understand if that had been said on the entry requirements online, but the online entry requirements say a 2:2 honours degree in a relevant subject to the one you want to teach (in my case, English).

I feel so defeated and mortified, quite frankly. This is what I want to do, but there’s not really the opportunity for me to redo university again to get a 2:1. I know it’s competitive and I’ve probably been naive but is this a dead end for me?

Has anyone else successfully managed to get on a PGDE with a 2:2?
In England, this wouldn't be a problem at all, and if you did your NQT in England as well, it would be an option to move back and teach in Scotland without doing the top up course, I believe.

I would also look at other Scottish courses- it may be the one you applied to has had particularly strong applicants this year, but that there are other unis who will consider you with a 2.2.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (39)
8.16%
Confident (65)
13.6%
Indifferent (67)
14.02%
Unsure (119)
24.9%
Worried (188)
39.33%

Watched Threads