'Ofqual's A-level plans could dash my university hopes'

Watch
Lightning720
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
The full article, as well as some interesting comments, is here - https://www.tes.com/news/coronavirus...iversity-hopes

"Ofqual has announced that its standardisation process for this year's teacher assessment-based grades will place more weight on a centre’s historical performance than the submitted grade.

As a student who would have been sitting their A-level exams this summer, I'm worried.

I fear that this approach – combined with the absence of an appeals system – will disadvantage talented pupils attending historically low-performing schools.

The A-level results at my school have been disappointing for many years. I currently hold an offer to study medicine at King’s College London, but I'm worried now that I will lose it."

I am aware some users on here don't seem to care about the concerns Y11s and Y13s have, but these concerns are real. Ofqual has done absolutely nothing to reassure us and these concerns shouldn't just be ignored.

There is a comment on the article which shows that even the Royal Statistical Society has concerns about the lack of clarity and transparency.
PeachyMilk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
'Do not punish the son for this sins of the father'.

This saying is completely applicable to our situation, why should we students get judged by how previous year's did. I feel like completely abandoned by the government currently- like you I may not be getting into my dream university because Ofqual's deplorable standardisation process.
Furthermore, they will bumping down the grades of thousands of students as they believe teachers may have 'over-predicted' their students, which is not fair at all.

This whole process puts a lot of students at a disadvantage such as BAME pupils , vulnerable students and students from low-income families.

The government said that every student 'will get the grade they deserve', but we all know that is complete BS.

This whole situation has generally gotten me depressed I can only pray and hope I can get into my dream uni at this point.
Last edited by PeachyMilk; 2 weeks ago
Lightning720
Rep:
?
(Original post by PeachyMilk)
'Do not punish the son for this sins of the father'.

This saying is completely applicable to our situation, why should we students get judged by how previous year's did. I feel like completely abandoned by the government currently- like you I may not be getting into my dream university because Ofqual's deplorable standardisation process.
Furthermore, they will bumping down the grades of thousands of students as they believe teachers may have 'over-predicted' their students, which is not fair at all.

This whole process puts a lot of students at a disadvantage such as BAME pupils , vulnerable students and students from low-income families.

The government said that every student 'will get the grade they deserve', but we all know that is complete BS.

This whole situation has generally gotten me depressed I can only pray and hope I can get into my dream uni at this point.
The one thing that is annoying me about this entire thing is how Ofqual has acted. They seem to be ignoring everyone's concerns. They need to be more transparent and honest than this.
PeachyMilk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Lightning720)
The one thing that is annoying me about this entire thing is how Ofqual has acted. They seem to be ignoring everyone's concerns. They need to be more transparent and honest than this.
Honestly, they do not realising they are jeopardising the future of thousands of students across the Uk, because whether we like to admit it or not good grades are needed to get into good jobs.
etienne26
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's a joke that Ofqual haven't responded to the autumn exams consultation that ended on 8th June, and is putting thousands of students unsure about their future and how these autumn exams will work.
Lightning720
Rep:
?
(Original post by etienne26)
It's a joke that Ofqual haven't responded to the autumn exams consultation that ended on 8th June, and is putting thousands of students unsure about their future and how these autumn exams will work.
They do seem to like taking their time with every single decision about the grading system.
Lightning720
Rep:
?
This petition has over 25,000 signatures. That's over 25,000 people that are concerned with this system.

http://chng.it/b58F576NyR

I know the 33% figure is based on a study from a company rather than data from the exam boards so it may not be that exact figure but it is still clear Ofqual is not doing enough to reassure students, parents, and teachers.

They need to stop being silent throughout this. Be honest with us. They have our futures in their own hands and they are doing everything possible to hide this system from us.
Last edited by Lightning720; 2 weeks ago
Lightning720
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lightning720)
This petition has over 25,000 signatures. That's over 25,000 people that are concerned with this system.

http://chng.it/b58F576NyR

I know the 33% figure is based on a study from a company rather than data from the exam boards so it may not be that exact figure but it is still clear Ofqual is not doing enough to reassure students, parents, and teachers.

They need to stop being silent throughout this. Be honest with us. They have our futures in their own hands and they are doing everything possible to hide this system from us.
Over 31,000 now.
Michael Bell_66
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Now nearly 46,000 - so why aren't there more people commenting on TSR???

There's clearly a great deal of concern out there, and rightly so, even allowing for the fact that no-one knows how the "adjustments" will be made yet as Ofqual won't release the details...
Lightning720
Rep:
?
(Original post by Michael Bell_66)
Now nearly 46,000 - so why aren't there more people commenting on TSR???

There's clearly a great deal of concern out there, and rightly so, even allowing for the fact that no-one knows how the "adjustments" will be made yet as Ofqual won't release the details...
I'm guessing people aren't commenting simply because it won't effect them, or if it does, it won't disadvantage them.
Lightning720
Rep:
?
Just under 130,000 have now signed the petition. Ofqual hasn't even come out to correct the slightly incorrect information. Does this mean that the prediction that 33% of grades could be downgraded is more likely than we thought?!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you want Freshers' Fairs to work this year?

Completely online (9)
12.16%
A mix of in-person and online options (14)
18.92%
As many in-person events as is safe to do (45)
60.81%
I don't plan on attending a Freshers' Fair (6)
8.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed