Turn on thread page Beta

"A worrying trend" - Bodybuilding on the rise among teens watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    It's pretty easy actually. If you're stronger than me you're on steroids and if you're weaker than me you're a pussy.
    That quote looks familiar.

"Well, I can do 16 [pull-ups], and I'm 51 and I weigh 210. So you have to beat me or you're a pussy. And if you do beat me, you're probably using drugs." -- Mark Rippetoe (http://strengthmill.net/forum/showpo...54&postcount=4)

I was oh so tempted to join in all your fun and criticise weight training, squats and the like, but I figured people might not detect my sarcasm.

(Original post by Marsha2112)
    So first they complain that teenagers are obese, now they complain that teenagers are going to the gym
    Way to take it out of context. They were moaning about teenagers spending hours in the gym daily.

(Original post by Salinger)
    i've never being to a gym in my life, and it just doesn't appeal to me - i find the idea of doing a continuous thing incredibly boring
    Doing interesting exercises can make it less boring. Endorphins make it an enjoyable activity.

i play football, golf and tennis regularly as well as biking to college everyday and this seems to keep me fit with reasonable and normal muscle size
    You're definition of fit probably doesn't account for strength then if you find those tasks keep you fit. Sure, cycling will give a slight increase in leg strength, but nothing like a weighted exercise, like a squat, can do, where you can progressively make it harder thus gaining more strength.

Obviously there is an extreme, i.e. getting too strong, which you may not want, but rest in peace that this isn't an easy task, but getting a bit stronger may be beneficial in case you have to lift an awkward object that's relatively heavy, for example.

i think if you work out too much your muscles will just like ridiculously out of proportion with your body...
    There is an extreme yes. However, just working out doesn't necessarily mean you'll get ridiculously big. Lots of people today are skinny because they don't need to be strong, but this doesn't change the fact that our bodies were strong during our evolution. Sure, we no longer need to do much physical exertion to provide food, warmth, protection, etc. but the human body is not used to not exercising hard. 2000 years (since civilisation) is too short a time to have made much of an effect on the human body, with respect to the millions of years of hard work our bodies went through.

why are people so obsessed with having muscles?!
    I agree that having muscles for the sake of having muscles is largely pointless. I imagine most girls don't find super huge particularly attractive. Guys may be intimidated if that's your thing.

Large muscles however are a product of being strong which is necessary to be fit, which we consider to be a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by praephae)

"Well, I can do 16 [pull-ups], and I'm 51 and I weigh 210. So you have to beat me or you're a pussy. And if you do beat me, you're probably using drugs." -- Mark Rippetoe (http://strengthmill.net/forum/showpo...54&postcount=4)

love that quote.

and this one:

We just call it the press, because how could you press without the shoulders? You can leg press... but that's gay.

and:

Newb: Got any good ab exercises?

Rip: Got any better questions?

this one makes me laugh:

Rip: You need to drink one gallon of full fat milk everyday. It's almost mandatory.

Somebody from audience: I'm lactose intolerant, could I substitute milk for yogurt?

Rip: Gallon of yogurt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by praephae)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    That kid in the video seemed obsessed. And he had pretty big arms, I bet "protein supplements" aren't all he was taking.
    I'd hope with arms that small he wasn't taking anything more, otherwise he may as well quit now. His arms arn't big in the slightest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarve99)
    I'd hope with arms that small he wasn't taking anything more, otherwise he may as well quit now. His arms arn't big in the slightest.
    Sarcasm obviously doesn't work over the Internet.

ReputationRep:
    I want to go into body building...my dad was huge now he is fat....

ReputationRep:
    Body building? Well, that's what happens when people criticise teenagers for being obese AND bewail the Size Zero culture at the same time. What other options are there left for those who want to improve/alter themselves physically? It's body building or body mod.

ReputationRep:
    Praephae gets this thread and understands life in general.

ReputationRep:
    He likes Ripp, and understands internet sarcasm. Therefore, Praephae = WIN

ReputationRep:
    I blame the increased social power of women. And yes, I have my flame suit on, I am a misogynistic prick. If the roles of men and women were as clearly defined as all the time before the suffraggettes I don't see why it would be wrong to revert back to such values today. Men are being discriminated against more and more: Fathers for Justice is a prime example.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 28, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.