Statement from the Civil Rights and Equalities Secretary: Women's and Men's Days

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
- Statement from the Civil Rights and Equalities Secretary - Equal Recognition of International Women's Day and International Men's Day

Statement: Civil Rights and Equalities Office
Secretary of State: The Rt. Hon. El Salvador

Equal Recognition of International Women's Day and International Men's Day

Her Majesty's government is committed to ensuring gender equality, and we will, from this year onwards, offer equal recognition to International Women's Day, on 8 March, and International Men's Day, on 19 November.

Without affecting the existing arrangements for International Women's Day, we will begin arranging for the promotion of International Men's Day, with the day being acknowledged by this office, with the same amount of paper, media, and online promotion and statements across Her Majesty's government, with the cooperation of our colleagues.

Notes and references

Notes
Her Majesty's government marks the International Women's Day by publishing statements and making speeches, usually. Sometimes, a campaign with regards to female issues is launched.

This year, there was a post from the Civil Service1, a speech from an ambassador to a supernational organization2, a post from the Foreign and Commonwealth Offce3. Usually, there is also a speech from the Equalities Secretary4.

We will produce the same amount of materials, as far as it is possible (for example, if public gatherings are allowed for a public speech to happen), for International Men's Day5.

References
1 https://civilservice.blog.gov.uk/202...whoinspiresme/
2 https://www.gov.uk/government/speech...nal-womens-day
3 https://blogs.fco.gov.uk/fco-careers...-what-success/
4 https://www.gov.uk/government/news/p...ens-day-speech
5 https://internationalmensday.com/

LPK
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Wouldn't it just be easier to remove Government from these events altogether?

It seems rather pointless to devote resources to counting materials etc just to ensure both events are equally 'celebrated' by Government. It's one thing if individual politicians want to be part of events arranged externally by businesses or charities, but I am not sure what is accomplished by having Government departments arranging events for these days. Having to count what is done for each occasion to ensure parity just adds another layer of absurdity to something which is already a waste of the Government's time.
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nay!

International __________ Day is a stupid invention. We need less of them, not more.
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
Nay!

International __________ Day is a stupid invention. We need less of them, not more.
This doesn't introduce any International [word] days, so you aren't getting any more.

(Also you don't get to vote on this)
SnowMiku
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree that certain days need to be recognised for certain organisations/people/whatever so this is welcomed.
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is dogwhistle 101 but I don't think it's actively harmful.

I'd probably abstain if I had a vote.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh look, a do nothing statement, who ever would have guessed the government would continue doing nothing.

It is funny though how now the Tories are the party with the greatest interest in identity politics, almost as if they aren't really that Conservative.
abucha3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I support this statement made by my Rt. Hon Friend
The Mogg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh yes! This is the stuff we need to get the house back in gear!!
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by abucha3)
I support this statement made by my Rt. Hon Friend
Tackling the real issues of the day /s
abucha3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
Oh yes! This is the stuff we need to get the house back in gear!!
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Tackling the real issues of the day /s
I would have thought as Libertarians, this Statement would receive support? The House must deal with a variety of issues; big and small. This is a smaller issue, but relevant to the day given that cultural issues are a topical subject at the moment.

Also are you both not aware of the culture war the country and a lot of the world is now in? Would have thought both of you would be on board with that
The Mogg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would have thought as Libertarians, this Statement would receive support? The House must deal with a variety of issues; big and small. This is a smaller issue, but relevant to the day given that cultural issues are a topical subject at the moment.
Why would being libertarians mean supporting government action on something as unimportant as International Mens and Womens days? Government needs to do less in these areas (like they need to do in almost every area ever), not more, but I suppose the Tories aren't fans of decreasing government action.
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye. Equality is always a good thing.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Also are you both not aware of the culture war the country and a lot of the world is now in? Would have thought both of you would be on board with that
Is the government planning to recognise World Tuna Day, World Tea Day, World Bicycle Day, International Yoga Day, World Toilet Day and World Tourism Day amongst others?

Tuna Day is vital to recognise the UK's sovereign waters in post-Brexit fishing negotiations, Tea Day is rightfully a national celebration, Bicycle and Yoga Day will help improve the environment by riding to work and improve fitness after months of being sedentary for most of the day, World Toilet Day can celebrate a great British invention and Tourism Day is needed to help the economy recover after COVID-19. There are over 160 international days for things. Can the government confirm is plans to recognise them all?
abucha3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
Why would being libertarians mean supporting government action on something as unimportant as International Mens and Womens days? Government needs to do less in these areas (like they need to do in almost every area ever), not more, but I suppose the Tories aren't fans of decreasing government action.
Oh come on... you were once a Tory, you know that to not be true.

More so the case, that so much effort and energy is put into International Womens Day, the same should be done for men.

Exactly the same with some of the virtue signalling nonsense going at the moment in this country with “Black Lives Matter” movement.

If you do not support the Statement, are you content for International Womens Day to be given so much attention but nothing towards men?
abucha3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is the government planning to recognise World Tuna Day, World Tea Day, World Bicycle Day, International Yoga Day, World Toilet Day and World Tourism Day amongst others?

Tuna Day is vital to recognise the UK's sovereign waters in post-Brexit fishing negotiations, Tea Day is rightfully a national celebration, Bicycle and Yoga Day will help improve the environment by riding to work and improve fitness after months of being sedentary for most of the day, World Toilet Day can celebrate a great British invention and Tourism Day is needed to help the economy recover after COVID-19. There are over 160 international days for things. Can the government confirm is plans to recognise them all?
I would happily join you in celebrating these days if you so wish.

The fact is, is it fair that Womens Day is given more attention than International Mens Day? I believe it is not fair.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would happily join you in celebrating these days if you so wish.

The fact is, is it fair that Womens Day is given more attention than International Mens Day? I believe it is not fair.
All days should have attention or none of them should.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

What makes you think we'd support it, if anything you should expect us to oppose it because
1) It's a non-issue
2) it's identity politics which are stupid
3) the better thing would be to do away with the supposed special treatment of IWD even though in practice all that happens on IWD is stuff happening that was deferred for it
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
Aye. Equality is always a good thing.
And this brings about equality how exactly? It is just more virtue signalling identity politics, something one would have thought you against.
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is the government planning to recognise... World Toilet Day?
As Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, I can confirm that we do not plan to institute a day to recognise the source of Libertarian Party policies.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (261)
39.97%
Take autumn exams (196)
30.02%
Look for a job (22)
3.37%
Consider an apprenticeship (25)
3.83%
Take a year out (110)
16.85%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (39)
5.97%

Watched Threads