Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helen_J)
    i was trying not to
    and instead why not try that's rubbish/not good/crap anything
    Why not try proper capitalization and proper use of periods and commas? I would imagine those things are a far more integral aspect of the English language than a handful of borrowed words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    I do have to say that the irony of Brits, who forced their language upon half the world, complaining about someone forcing a language upon them is amusing.
    Tut tut, ultra nationalism again .
    Good point though.
    Still, I have to admit some Americanisms annoy me ears - but I'm not sure they get annoyed for political reasons. They just don't like the sound of them.

ReputationRep:
    Crap isn't American?! If sucks is American, crap is one word I would've thought would be American too. Well, I was raised somewhere else, so I'll try my best to adapt. :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Draconis)
    Math. :mad:

One of the worst.

Just to clarify, I'm not accusing Americans of 'forcing' their language on us, it just annoys me when people start using Americanisms when we already have words that mean the same thing, and sound less forced and out of place.

(crap>sucks)

ReputationRep:
    i hate the word 'soccer'! wtf is soccer???!! it is football ffs!! you kick the ball with your foot hence FOOTBALL!!! not bloody 'soccer'.

ReputationRep:
    about 500 years ago yes, but i like to think we are more civilised now
    I guess they don't teach history anymore, eh? England wasn't doing any colonizing 500 years ago. And British was forced upon people in India and Africa until the 1940s and 1960s, respectively.

(Original post by IcEmAn911)
    i hate the word 'soccer'! wtf is soccer???!! it is football ffs!! you kick the ball with your foot hence FOOTBALL!!! not bloody 'soccer'.
    Soccer is a British word, genius.

http://www.gavinrymill.com/origin-of...rd-soccer.html

ReputationRep:
    But even then,I kinda prefer judging something I dislike with a verb than an adjective. When you say something sucks, it means it has on-going suckage. If you just say it's crap, it's sort of... diminutive of its entire unworthiness. If you say it sucks, that means it sucks now and it will continually suck until you say otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    yes i've already apologised for giving the impression that i was ranting about Americans 'forcing their language upon us', it's more to do with the fact that the things they create are annoying and seem wrong, so wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcEmAn911)
    Soccer is an English word though. It comes from 'association' (as in 'association football' which is the poncy proper term for the sport). It's basically public school slang.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    the only thing that annoys/confuses me is that they call crisps "chips" and chips "fries". gahhh.

"can you pass me the cheese and onion chips?"
    "cheese and onion on CHIPS? wtf?!"
    *notices they are actually CRISPS*
    "oh. i get it."

ReputationRep:
    Warning, sort of a rant:

You know two things that really annoy me, seeing as in the UK we have such big problems such as a devastating war in Iraq and Afghanistan with troops dying, knife culture killing youths almost weekly, guns being pumped into the large cities, anti-social behaviour keeping the elderly in their houses 24/7 and a falling economy etc. etc.

Well they are: People complaining about language being Americanised and secondly, people who complain about little girls going to school wearing a bangle as a religious symbol, or a headscarf or a crucifix etc. – WE HAVE BIGGER PROBLEMS TO WORRY ABOUT!

Sorry, this is more of a rant and is not directed at anybody on TSR! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    I guess they don't teach history anymore, eh? England wasn't doing any colonizing 500 years ago. And British was forced upon people in India and Africa until the 1940s and 1960s, respectively.
    yes i have an a level in history, unfortunatley i was taught about equally pressing issues, and i was simply giving my opinion when starting the thread, i didn't say i agree with what past Britons have done, and also how the fek can i change that?

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was just a lighthearted rant, rather than a huge issue to complain about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    Warning, sort of a rant:

You know two things that really annoy me, seeing as in the UK we have such big problems such as a devastating war in Iraq and Afghanistan with troops dying, knife culture killing youths almost weekly, guns being pumped into the large cities, anti-social behaviour keeping the elderly in their houses 24/7 and a falling economy etc. etc.

Well they are: People complaining about language being Americanised and secondly, people who complain about little girls going to school wearing a bangle as a religious symbol, or a headscarf or a crucifix etc. – WE HAVE BIGGER PROBLEMS TO WORRY ABOUT!

Sorry, this is more of a rant not directed at anybody on TSR! :p:
    so you never moan when you have a headache coz there are bigger problems to worry about...hmm

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thats a good idea, lets get less americanised so that people can be even more anti-social and stuck up to themselves in this country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by music is my girlfriend)
    I thought it was just a lighthearted rant, rather than a huge issue to complain about?
    yes that's too hard to grasp for some people on here jeez man this whole thing sucks

ReputationRep:
    yes i have an a level in history, unfortunatley i was taught about equally pressing issues, and i was simply giving my opinion when starting the thread, i didn't say i agree with what past Britons have done, and also how the fek can i change that?
    And they didn't teach you that English colonization didn't begin until well into the 17th century?

So why whine about America doing something when your country did something hundreds of times worse as recently as a few decades ago?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by music is my girlfriend)
    Haha. True. But welcome to TSR. It's rare an issue is ever taken in a lighthearted way. Apparently if you don't like Americanisms you are automatically a supporter of the worst aspects of British empire and probably shoot US citizens for fun at the weekend-

ReputationRep:
    I'm fed up of seeing people from Britain, on this forum, saying 'mom' instead of the correct 'mum'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisj99)
    Haha. True. But welcome to TSR. It's rare an issue is ever taken in a lighthearted way. Apparently if you don't like Americanisms you are automatically a supporter of the worst aspects of British empire and probably shoot US citizens for fun at the weekend-
    lmao:woo:
    just coz i like British aspects of Britain i am a raging nationalist who will no doubt vote BNP next time.......:rolleyes: don't think so

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.