Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Only word that annoys me is Movie instead of Film.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by one2three_abc)
    Well quite a few things that you download off the internet seem to do that. When it says pick language..."English: US" there is rarely an "English: UK"
    omg i have to agree! And some programs I install on my laptop its like ENGLISH US with no UK option im like woot! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    i'm neither british nor american so when i go up to uni i can use americanism with my american accent :yup: i like to use 'rad' and 'gnarly', i say 'semi' like 'semy', 'math' etcetc. i love it

i didn't even realise 'gotten' was an american thing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vicyvix)
    Perhaps this could also have something to do with French, the french for crisps being 'chips' and the french for chips being 'frites'
    if they are so keen on French why did they change centre to center and so on to get rid of french influence?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I'm probably guilty of a fair few Americanisms, like "gotten" and "awesome" and stuff. I don't think there's anything that terrible about it, unless people start wandering around with fake American accents.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, stuff like this really annoys people that much?

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, I do agree with the whole YOUR language debate!...English=England not English=American
    Secondly, i can put up with most things but when it says on computer options 'English (US)' THAT REALLY ANNOYS ME, they don't even have an 'English (UK)' option, US companies do really think that English is an American language don't they!?!
    It annoys me but doesn't surprise me. We are talking about the most ignorant country in the world where some ridiculous percentage can't even point to France on a map. The world is America to a lot sadly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pandora7)
    i'm neither british nor american so when i go up to uni i can use americanism with my american accent :yup: i like to use 'rad' and 'gnarly', i say 'semi' like 'semy', 'math' etcetc. i love it

originally english but in a different sense, America changed it to mean have got/recieved etc
    http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/got.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeNextPirate)
    Its relevant in the fact that you, an american, dared to take the moral high ground implying that the British were so immoral to do anything of the sort to ensure easy communication between it and its colonies. :rolleyes:
    I'm not the one who started this thread, now am I, Mr. Ultra-Nationalist?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Perhaps this could also have something to do with French, the french for crisps being 'chips' and the french for chips being 'frites'
    ahhh. in that case, the french also annoy me

ReputationRep:
    i say 'semi' like 'semy'
    *shakes fist*

haha, I love Americans really, especially the ones who tell me how cute my accent is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helen_J)
    if they are so keen on French why did they change centre to center and so on to get rid of french influence?
    As far as I was aware it was changed by Noah Webster, on purpose, in the early 1800s because he believed the English way was too complicated, nothing to do with the french :confused:

It isn't!

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, I do agree with the whole YOUR language debate!...English=England not English=American
    Secondly, i can put up with most things but when it says on computer options 'English (US)' THAT REALLY ANNOYS ME, they don't even have an 'English (UK)' option, US companies do really think that English is an American language don't they!?!
    So does being ultra-nationalistic about something as pointless as a few borrowed words make you feel better about yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    I'm not the one who started this thread, now am I, Mr. Ultra-Nationalist?
    You started that abstract conversation :woo: And its funny you call British ultra-nationalistic when the Americans are the most nationalistic creatures on the planet.

Anyhoo, I'm off to go and demonstrate on behalf of the BNP, bye! .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeNextPirate)
    As far as I was aware it was changed by Noah Webster, on purpose, in the early 1800s because he believed the English way was too complicated, nothing to do with the french :confused:
    i heard it was due to the fact that he hated the french, if you look at spellings that have changed you will notice they have changed the french influence in words....'re' to 'er' (centre center) 'ou' to just 'o' (colour color)

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes if i eat too much bread my tummy hurts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helen_J)
    i heard it was due to the fact that he hated the french, if you look at spellings that have changed you will notice they have changed the french influence in words....'re' to 'er' (centre center) 'ou' to just 'o' (colour color)
    As I say, I've never heard that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    It isn't!
    you'll find it is in the sense of recieved, acquired, got etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    I do have to say that the irony of Brits, who forced their language upon half the world, complaining about someone forcing a language upon them is amusing.
    Oh, we'll always find something to moan about. How inconvenient that the majority of the civilised world speaks the language of our tiny island, but doesn't do so properly! Goodness me, I nealy spat out my Earl Grey when I received a telegram referring to a "movie" the other day!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.