Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it really is not cricket. Anyone for Pimms?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boxface)
    Oh, we'll always find something to moan about. How inconvenient that the majority of the civilised world speaks the language of our tiny island, but doesn't do so properly! Goodness me, I nealy spat out my Earl Grey when I received a telegram referring to a "movie" the other day!
    lmao:woo: earl grey is so much better than pg tips

ReputationRep:
    that rhyme for a bit

ReputationRep:
    I hold a real hatred for "meeting with" and "can I get..."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)
    I hold a real hatred for "meeting with" and "can I get..."
    and 'lemmme have'

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear. Who cares. If you don't like them don't use them.

ReputationRep:
    I hate it when they change the spelling of English words. For instance: gray instead of grey, recognize instead of recognise. Having a fetish for the letter 'Z' is not a desirable quality.

Also, when they insist on shortening irregular plurals like Jones's to Jones'; This is entirely wrong.

(Original post by Helen_J)
    you'll find it is in the sense of recieved, acquired, got etc
    And? The OED gives the definition of "gotten" as "obtained, acquired, won".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reductio)
    I hate it when they change the spelling of English words. For instance: gray instead of grey, recognize instead of recognise. Having a fetish for the letter 'Z' is not a desirable quality.

Also, when they insist on shortening irregular plurals like Jones's to Jones'; This is entirely wrong.
    British spelling used to be with a z, in olden times, then it got abolished.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    And? The OED gives the definition of "gotten" as "obtained, acquired, won".
    yes they too have fallen in the trap :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    So does being ultra-nationalistic about something as pointless as a few borrowed words make you feel better about yourself?
    It's nothing to do with making myself feel better! When it refers to american companies calling English a US language it does annoy me, are British people not allowed to be even slightly patriotic!? Let's face it look at American patriotism!

I'm not at all 'ultra-nationalistic' either, England has many problems but at least we admit it! I just think credit should be given where it is due, Americans can't rule all of the world you know! BTW before you go thinking i'm all anti-american...i'm really not...they just annoy me sometimes! (that is some americans...not all!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    British spelling used to be with a z, in olden times, then it got abolished.
    We certainly abolished it for a reason then.

ReputationRep:
    Center > Centre. Period. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Oh god the more I'm reading this thread the more shocked I get at how many times I must have pissed off British ppl?! I use awesome and gotten and all the rest together with film and chips and stuff, god I must have been really annoying. Lol I hope all the English will forgive my American accent...

(Original post by vicyvix)
    Secondly, i can put up with most things but when it says on computer options 'English (US)' THAT REALLY ANNOYS ME, they don't even have an 'English (UK)' option, US companies do really think that English is an American language don't they!?!
    The more obvious explanation is that it does not make sense for many companies to spend money incorporating an English (UK) option...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vicyvix)
    It's nothing to do with making myself feel better! When it refers to american companies calling English a US language it does annoy me, are British people not allowed to be even slightly patriotic!? Let's face it look at American patriotism!

I'm not at all 'ultra-nationalistic' either, England has many problems but at least we admit it! I just think credit should be given where it is due, Americans can't rule all of the world you know! BTW before you go thinking i'm all anti-american...i'm really not...they just annoy me sometimes! (that is some americans...not all!)
    So you justify your own nationalism over a useless topic by pointing out that there are people worse than you? Bravo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solya)
    Oh god the more I'm reading this thread the more shocked I get at how many times I must have pissed off British ppl?! I use awesome and gotten and all the rest together with film and chips and stuff, god I must have been really annoying. Lol I hope all the English will forgive my American accent...
    don't take it ti heart i'm sure people hate Brits too, but the difference between some and others on here is that some take everything so seriously whereas others only take things like exams seriously and have a laugh about things such as 'Americanisms' i mean semI (as in sem-eye) is funny

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solya)
    don't take it ti heart i'm sure people hate Brits too, but the difference between some and others on here is that some take everything so seriously whereas others only take things like exams seriously and have a laugh about things such as 'Americanisms' i mean semI (as in sem-eye) is funny

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helen_J)
    Well it's just surprising that it even sparks such emotion, ppl using Americanisms and that you guys actually find it annoying.

Blissful ignorance from someone speaking a language that's bound to die out in the next 100 years :p:

ReputationRep:
    yep anything sparks emotion these days, i admit i find it annoying how so many people (British) use American words but that's life

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.