The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
i do like
Helen_J
i do like

Well aint that great.
Helen_J
i heard it was due to the fact that he hated the french, if you look at spellings that have changed you will notice they have changed the french influence in words....'re' to 'er' (centre center) 'ou' to just 'o' (colour color)

WTF? They changed the words to make them spelled as they are pronounced. They made all the changes in order to improve the English language and the OED, in fact, prefers most American spellings. They didn't hate the French either, they were their allies during the Revolution. If anything, the change was an act of nationalism and done to piss of the English.:p:
Reply 143
vander Beth
WTF? They changed the words to make them spelled as they are pronounced. They made all the changes in order to improve the English language and the OED, in fact, prefers most American spellings. They didn't hate the French either, they were their allies during the Revolution. If anything, the change was an act of nationalism and done to piss of the English.:p:

funny how it seems only the french influence on english language has been changed then
Reply 144
Those blasted ruffians!
Well howdy folks, I didn't realize that English had gotten so Americanized until recently - my bad!...thinking it thru, it may be due to the kids going to the movie theaters and seeing American movies when on vacation, and then talking with their buddies on their cell phones.

Tonite I even said 'gotten' myself. If I would've thought it thru, I would've realized that it wasn't British English - that was a real bad mistake. My mom wrote me last week and she used a bunch of Americanisms, a bunch of times. I think it's a bunch of baloney to take it so serious, but good job on being so proud of British English - it's real awesome - period! :smile:
imtired
hey fellas it's a quarter till eleven right now, august 23 (and since i'm hella sleepy momentarily i will go to bed) so i only have a new york minute to write this, after eating a pumpkin pie which i left in the trunk of my station wagon, unless my dad gets his fanny off the couch and gets it for me. if not i'll just eat some faggot left over from last night which my freshman brother made. if you're wondering why my mom hasn't gotten us anything it's because she's probably sleeping on the sidewalk next to a trashcan or asking for quarters. sorry i can't keep typing i hurt my finger i need to get some band aid which is probably in the mailbox. so long, one.

Gee, you beat me to it - good job!
FrustratedHistorian
Americans should LEARN HOW TO PRONOUN ENGLISH PROPERLY especially southeners. please someone tell americans to stop changing standard words eg. standardise for standardize. It's irritating!!

Oh the hilarious irony. You are aware that before Americans used the '-ize' form, the Brits used it to? The ones who changed it were actually the Brits... but lets not let pesky facts get in the way of idiocy.

I'm somewhat glad you have no education; with a mild dosage of grey matter, I'm sure you'd be relatively dangerous as a human being. Fortunately, your immediate social circles are safe, however.

Oh, and 'pronoun' is not a verb. I presume you mean 'pronounce', in which case I won't judge you for a typo, regardless of whether or not you're English - the universally recognised aficionados of pure, unadulterated, 'correct' language.
Helen_J
funny how it seems only the french influence on english language has been changed then

Now that's just silly. :laughing:
Americans have changed more than Latin spellings, like the Greek catalogue/catalog. Americans have also made changes like keeping the Anglo-French defense rather than the British English defence.

It's funny to think of Webster going "Well, I don't like the French, so I'll take all the words that have spellings like theirs and change them."
Reply 149
I don't mind Americanisms if they're used by Americans or in America, but I can't stand it when English people start saying 'I'm good', 'movie', 'gotten', 'awesome', 'gonna',
'wanna' etc.
Allthewayhome
Why? I'd rather sit and make you look like an ignorant scaliwag.

You've really struck a chord with me; too bad it was a bum note.

:woo:

Lol you gotta love it!!!

Btw this thread is for jokes yes, people can't actually be seriously like annoyed with those words can they? I mean only Americans use them anyway and I would think people were more away of how we sound than what we actually say :p:
It's the evolution of language, the fittest survives. America has developed its own dialect, and as it now dominates the globe's entertainment, that dialect is the world's language.

It's only natural that we are influenced by it when US media surrounds us.
So what if AmEng changes some spellings to make them more phonetic? That makes sense, considering that the USA was a melting pot of nationalities and languages, and they needed a common language - the easier it was for them all to learn it, the better.

You could trace it back to the guy who wrote the first AmEng dictionary in the 1820s (70 years after the first BrEng one) ... he was the one who recorded "color" and "traveling". Maybe if they'd adopted Dr Johnson's dictionary their spellings would match ours.

We may think that our dialect is the 'best' one, but that's a pretty narrow view to take.
Sanyore
What would you use in place of "sucks"?

"Blows" could work. Don't ask me "blow what?"
That's another one. Excessive use of the word 'like' especially by teenage females. Intelligent ones even!
WithFlyingColours
That's another one. Excessive use of the word 'like' especially by teenage females. Intelligent ones even!

Guilty :frown:

My old economics teacher [who doesn't like me at all] was grilling me and I was trying to answer but I kept saying like and then this dude was like: like to sort of wind me up and bring to the entire class's attention my excessive use of like so I kept saying it more and my face was super red :eek:

I could actually feel the burn :frown:
Reply 155
vander Beth
Now that's just silly. :laughing:
Americans have changed more than Latin spellings, like the Greek catalogue/catalog. Americans have also made changes like keeping the Anglo-French defense rather than the British English defence.

It's funny to think of Webster going "Well, I don't like the French, so I'll take all the words that have spellings like theirs and change them."

it's funny to actually think that you're part of this thread when actually it's just a laugh no one really cares what smart arses like you know, i was only quoting what i had heard
Reply 156
Emers
I don't mind Americanisms if they're used by Americans or in America, but I can't stand it when English people start saying 'I'm good', 'movie', 'gotten', 'awesome', 'gonna',
'wanna' etc.

thi sis the whole point of the thread, the way that English people have taken on American codswallop, it's not about the origins of language or who stole what territory off who like some people have interpreted (not directed at you by the way)
Plato123
Gotten.

There's nothing wrong with gotten, it's the logical way to use "got" in the past tense. I don't like to use it at all because "have got" sounds stupid and "have gotten" will cause people like you to judge me. This forces me to be creative in my word choice, which is not a bad thing I suppose.

And WHAT THE ***** is wrong with saying "I'm good"? "Good" means the same as "fine." The weather is good. The weather is fine. I'm fine. I'm good. They mean the same thing. There is nothing gramatically incorrect about using an adjective such as good to describe yourself. There is also nothing American about it. It is just how words ****ing well work. I don't care if it originated in America. I don't even care if it originated on Friends. There's nothing ****ing wrong with it.
IcEmAn911
i hate the word 'soccer'! wtf is soccer???!! it is football ffs!! you kick the ball with your foot hence FOOTBALL!!! not bloody 'soccer'.

This may have been said, but soccer is not an Americanism. In fact, what Americans call football bears a far greater resemblance to what football originally was than does soccer. The name football did not come about because people kicked the ball with their feet, because they simply didn't. It was easier and within the few rules to just pick it up. It was called football because the people who played it were common and so played it on their feet rather than on horses. The American sport called football fulfils this criteion adequately.
Reply 159
'I'm good' is possibly one of the most annoying phrases in the world. That's what's wrong with it. If someone asks 'how are you?', it's fine to say 'I'm good', but if someone is offering you a drink, saying 'I'm good' just doesn't sound right. You're not answering the question.

Latest

Trending

Trending