The Student Room Group

Masters concerns

Hey so I’m looking into doing a masters either in marketing or pr/communications. With how everything is and my thoughts previously on furthering my studies I think it’s a good idea. However, main concern for me is funding I.e the loan and how much I’d need to budget as I would need to find a job whilst studying. Anyone got any tips/advice on grants I can look onto, I just can’t rely on parents as their situation isn’t the best. Many thanks!
(edited 3 years ago)
Hiya
Masters loan you can get up to 11,222 non means tested so can apply for as much or as little as you want.

Your place of study may have scholarships of bursaries available!

Good luck!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by RandomTennisfan
Hey so I’m looking into doing a masters either in marketing or pr/communications. With how everything is and my thoughts previously on furthering my studies I think it’s a good idea. However, main concern for me is finding I.e the loan and how much I’d need to budget as I would need to find a job whilst studying. Anyone got any tips/advice on grants I can look onto, I just can’t rely on parents as their situation isn’t the best. Many thanks!

My advice would be when budgeting to budget for the maximum not the minimum. Any spare is then a bonus to save up! In between such as holidays or off terms look for some work to save abit up! There are bursaries available online too if you google it :smile:
Good luck!
Original post by ClaudiaVan
My advice would be when budgeting to budget for the maximum not the minimum. Any spare is then a bonus to save up! In between such as holidays or off terms look for some work to save abit up! There are bursaries available online too if you google it :smile:
Good luck!

Thanks a lot, will look into it :smile:
Original post by RandomTennisfan
Hey so I’m looking into doing a masters either in marketing or pr/communications. With how everything is and my thoughts previously on furthering my studies I think it’s a good idea. However, main concern for me is funding I.e the loan and how much I’d need to budget as I would need to find a job whilst studying. Anyone got any tips/advice on grants I can look onto, I just can’t rely on parents as their situation isn’t the best. Many thanks!

As @ClaudiaVan has said, budget for maximum spends - that way if you spend less on essentials, you'll have some savings to fall back on if you need them later down the line.

There are some MA bursaries and scholarships available - at Keele, for example, we offer fee reductions to students who obtained first class honours at undergraduate level, Keele alumni, and estranged students or care leavers, and there are other pots of funding to help certain groups of students or offered as prizes for those on certain courses. All the info is on our website at https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/postgraduatestudy/tuitionfeesandfunding/postgraduatefunding/ - if you take a look on the website of the universities you're interested in, you'll probably find something similar.

It may also be worth contacting the university careers service - they can often provide information about subject specific schemes. There may, for example, be an internship or graduate scheme that would fund or part-fund a Masters level course in your area of interest.

A lot of postgraduate students do top up their income with a part-time job. Personally I've found casual and weekend work to be best as it's easier to flex around my studies. Many universities have Student Ambassador schemes which offer paid roles to students to assist with open days, school visits, residentials etc - they're often keen to take on more postgraduate student reps so it's worth investigating that once you start your MA course.

Hope that helps!

Amy :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending