pondering-soul
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
so I'm doing a question on optical isomers and I've come across this molecule 2-chlorobutane. I get how to draw the structural/display formula etc. but when it comes to the 3d structure I struggle.

I understand you need to use the VSEPR theoryImage

In the molecule, the chiral carbon has no lone pairs and 4 bonds so you would draw it tetrahedral right? But how do you tell whether the H and Cl is away or towards you (which one is dashed and which one is black)?? If you look in the 2nd attached file, I'm basically asking whether the H and the Cl can swap over, Cl being dashed and H being the other. If no why?

thanks for any help in advance I appreciate it
Attached files
Last edited by pondering-soul; 4 months ago
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by pondering-soul)
I'm basically asking whether the H and the Cl can swap over, Cl being dashed and H being the other.
Both versions exist.

We refer to them as optical isomers of each other, but I guess you know that since you mentioned 'chiral carbon'.
pondering-soul
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pigster)
Both versions exist.

We refer to them as optical isomers of each other, but I guess you know that since you mentioned 'chiral carbon'.
wait so if you look at the mark scheme that my teacher drew, if I were to swap the Cl and the H atom with each other on only one side, they would be identical molecules again (not optical isomers) ??
Attached files
pondering-soul
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pigster)
Both versions exist.

oh **** I visualised it in my head swapping them over, you're right thanks alot bro appreciate it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (505)
33.71%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (621)
41.46%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (304)
20.29%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (68)
4.54%

Watched Threads