Please help/give advice, I'm going to an FE College

Watch
A-Yellow-Spring
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Sorry for the huge chunk of rant you're about to see.

Hello, I'm 18 and I'll be going to an FE college to start business extended diploma level 3 in September. This is because I was doing a business level 3 diploma and subsidiary ICT at Sixth Form, but I disliked the IT and the Sixth Form never told me that there was also extended business even though I asked them about it. The option for extended business wasn't even shown in their options form.

I am worried however, as alot of people make fun of BTEC already, and going to an FE college without exams may give me depression and low energy as I will have the thoughts of people and articles saying that FE colleges give false hope and that anyone who goes there is doomed. I already have my GCSEs, albeit to a rather painfully average level ( Science 55, English 5, Polish B, RE 5 and Maths 4) and I'll be starting a level 3, so it won't be an absolute disaster as I am prepared to work hard to achieve DDD.

I am having mild to strong panic attacks on a daily basis for a few weeks now and I keep trying to justify in my head how it's not that bad and how I will succeed and get into Aston uni for Business and Management, but the fact that I'll be 20 when I'll go to uni and the fact that I'm gonna be doing an examless BTEC worries me that I will not survive in life. My internal units were sent a month early before I could have updated them to a Distinction level and the teachers who were teaching us the external units (mainly unit 2 for business and unit 1 for IT) were condescending and constantly reminded us that it will be satisfactory if we even pass with a P because a Distinction is almost impossible.

Most of my friends said that it would be better to stay here but a lot of the yr 12 units were sent without us even doing them such as unit 3, 6 and 5 for business which means that I will get a pass for unit 5 and will only get to resit unit 3 and 6 once because they only allow us to sit it twice and during the revision period for the resit we have to teach the content ourselves.

To prepare for the other college, I have downloaded the example work and resources that were given to me so far from this Sixth Form, incase if something is lacking. This will probably also inlcude the external unit resources. I also have a 2016 spec BTEC national business student book 1 and may also buy the second book just incase.

Additionally, I have also downloaded the post 18 guide that was given to me by the Sixth Form as I was told by my more likeable business teacher that alot of kids don't know how to write their personal statements effectively, this of course is under the pretext that he will be the one to help with my personal statement, which unfortunately will not happen so I will have to rely on the statement of the teachers at the college aswell as their help with my personal statement. Lastly, I am waiting for the sixth form to give me a form code as I have asked, since for some reason I was not given one for uni frog, which would also allow me to scoop out a list of apprenticeships if I ever change my mind.

Again sorry about this rant, I just don't have anything else in my real life from friends, classmates, college teachers or the Sixth Form teachers that would've given me more insight into the situation (aside from the youth pastor who used to work as an accountant, which I am planning to ask about). If I just explain my situation this way, then there will be more context to go with.

I want to think that I have a chance with dilligent work, and that this is not the end of the tunnel, but I know that someone may give me a negative piece of information which may or may not give me clarity on my situation. Also sorry for any spelling mistakes, I'm writing on mobile and the keyboard is obscuring most of the text box. Any constructive response or advice is greatly apppreciated and I will respond and give answers back aswell.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by A-Yellow-Spring)
Sorry for the huge chunk of rant you're about to see.

Hello, I'm 18 and I'll be going to an FE college to start business extended diploma level 3 in September. This is because I was doing a business level 3 diploma and subsidiary ICT at Sixth Form, but I disliked the IT and the Sixth Form never told me that there was also extended business even though I asked them about it. The option for extended business wasn't even shown in their options form.

I am worried however, as alot of people make fun of BTEC already, and going to an FE college without exams may give me depression and low energy as I will have the thoughts of people and articles saying that FE colleges give false hope and that anyone who goes there is doomed. I already have my GCSEs, albeit to a rather painfully average level ( Science 55, English 5, Polish B, RE 5 and Maths 4) and I'll be starting a level 3, so it won't be an absolute disaster as I am prepared to work hard to achieve DDD.

I am having mild to strong panic attacks on a daily basis for a few weeks now and I keep trying to justify in my head how it's not that bad and how I will succeed and get into Aston uni for Business and Management, but the fact that I'll be 20 when I'll go to uni and the fact that I'm gonna be doing an examless BTEC worries me that I will not survive in life. My internal units were sent a month early before I could have updated them to a Distinction level and the teachers who were teaching us the external units (mainly unit 2 for business and unit 1 for IT) were condescending and constantly reminded us that it will be satisfactory if we even pass with a P because a Distinction is almost impossible.

Most of my friends said that it would be better to stay here but a lot of the yr 12 units were sent without us even doing them such as unit 3, 6 and 5 for business which means that I will get a pass for unit 5 and will only get to resit unit 3 and 6 once because they only allow us to sit it twice and during the revision period for the resit we have to teach the content ourselves.

To prepare for the other college, I have downloaded the example work and resources that were given to me so far from this Sixth Form, incase if something is lacking. This will probably also inlcude the external unit resources. I also have a 2016 spec BTEC national business student book 1 and may also buy the second book just incase.

Additionally, I have also downloaded the post 18 guide that was given to me by the Sixth Form as I was told by my more likeable business teacher that alot of kids don't know how to write their personal statements effectively, this of course is under the pretext that he will be the one to help with my personal statement, which unfortunately will not happen so I will have to rely on the statement of the teachers at the college aswell as their help with my personal statement. Lastly, I am waiting for the sixth form to give me a form code as I have asked, since for some reason I was not given one for uni frog, which would also allow me to scoop out a list of apprenticeships if I ever change my mind.

Again sorry about this rant, I just don't have anything else in my real life from friends, classmates, college teachers or the Sixth Form teachers that would've given me more insight into the situation (aside from the youth pastor who used to work as an accountant, which I am planning to ask about). If I just explain my situation this way, then there will be more context to go with.

I want to think that I have a chance with dilligent work, and that this is not the end of the tunnel, but I know that someone may give me a negative piece of information which may or may not give me clarity on my situation. Also sorry for any spelling mistakes, I'm writing on mobile and the keyboard is obscuring most of the text box. Any constructive response or advice is greatly apppreciated and I will respond and give answers back aswell.
Ok read that and theres a lot of froth and vent.

1. I understand you are starting Y12 again> You talk about your grades then come up with lots of reasons why you havent performed to your potential. Its up to you to pull your thumb out and submit high quality work from the get go if you want decent grades. Look at how YOU can change things instead of blaming teachers and take control over your own destiny.

2. Is BTEC a sign of failure? No. Hardly anyone will care that you are doing BTEC and it will get you into a high number of unis and most courses except the elite unis and things like medicine or engineering.
Your target course accepts DDD so for your purposes BTEC is absolutely fine.

https://www2.aston.ac.uk/study/cours...management-bsc

Stop fretting as its a complete waste of time, just dont fret and then fail to get the grades.

3. Does your age matter at 20? Nobody cares. No it wont matter. the only people who will know are those you start telling how old you are and its an issue, when in fact they dont care. No one will be able to tell if you keep it to yourself, you are just another student.

4. I believe the external unit will be an exam.

5. Less drama, chill and get on with it. I really cant see anything else in your post worth commenting on.
A-Yellow-Spring
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Ok read that and theres a lot of froth and vent.

1. I understand you are starting Y12 again> You talk about your grades then come up with lots of reasons why you havent performed to your potential. Its up to you to pull your thumb out and submit high quality work from the get go if you want decent grades. Look at how YOU can change things instead of blaming teachers and take control over your own destiny.

2. Is BTEC a sign of failure? No. Hardly anyone will care that you are doing BTEC and it will get you into a high number of unis and most courses except the elite unis and things like medicine or engineering.
Your target course accepts DDD so for your purposes BTEC is absolutely fine.

https://www2.aston.ac.uk/study/cours...management-bsc

Stop fretting as its a complete waste of time, just dont fret and then fail to get the grades.

3. Does your age matter at 20? Nobody cares. No it wont matter. the only people who will know are those you start telling how old you are and its an issue, when in fact they dont care. No one will be able to tell if you keep it to yourself, you are just another student.

4. I believe the external unit will be an exam.

5. Less drama, chill and get on with it. I really cant see anything else in your post worth commenting on.
I am worried if the difference between a BTEC with exams and a BTEC without exams will affect my ability to learn at uni.
999tigger
Report 2 weeks ago
I am worried if the difference between a BTEC with exams and a BTEC without exams will affect my ability to learn at uni.
You said you are doing an external module, which will be an exam.

Just get the best grades you can and worry about exams later, completely futile at the moment.
A-Yellow-Spring
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
You said you are doing an external module, which will be an exam.

Just get the best grades you can and worry about exams later, completely futile at the moment.
I will be going to a college that has no exams, only coursework. They told me that it was the new 2016 spec though.
999tigger
Report 2 weeks ago
I will be going to a college that has no exams, only coursework. They told me that it was the new 2016 spec though.
It really doesnt matter. You cna learn exam skills but you wont be going anywhere unless you get the grades.
A-Yellow-Spring
Rep:
?
I'm worried that BTECs will be scrapped in 2021.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you want Freshers' Fairs to work this year?

Completely online (8)
13.56%
A mix of in-person and online options (8)
13.56%
As many in-person events as is safe to do (37)
62.71%
I don't plan on attending a Freshers' Fair (6)
10.17%

Watched Threads