The Student Room Group

A level maths in one year?

Scroll to see replies

scraceus999
but you must have known most of it already then! you couldnt have LEARNED the whole two years in two months!!!

I did know some of it before I began but from another board, so in actual fact I did do the modules in 2 months, but yes I did know some of it before I began...

Oh and yeah... due to some unfortunate circumstances last year... I had to cram FP2 and FP3 into 3 weeks of learning... so you can imagine that you CAN actually do normal maths in 2 months if you dedicate yourself to it... :yep:
reductio
I beg to differ. C3 and C4 are a huge step up from C1 and C2.

Yep that's true most people struggle a lot when they step up to A2
Reply 22
i was in exactly the same position as you.
i just took AS Maths in yr13 and managed to get in anyway.
however, it's definitely possible to do the full A Level in a year if it fits in your timetable.
the only minor trouble is that the A2 builds on what you learnt in the AS, so learning them alongside each other would require a little bit more from you than doing it the usual way.
unless they do it the accelerated maths way (which my school didn't).
best of luck.
Reply 23
xinolisss
What do you wanna do in Cambridge?

Japanese Studies.

Absolutely nothing to do with Maths I know. I still need three As though and this looks to be the best option. I was planning on doing A/S maths this coming year anyway as it would help at other universities, where I was applying for joint degrees with Japanese and either Economics or Management.
Ezikio
Japanese Studies.

Absolutely nothing to do with Maths I know. I still need three As though and this looks to be the best option. I was planning on doing A/S maths this coming year anyway as it would help at other colleges, where I was applying for joint degrees with Japanese and either Economics or Management.

Yep that's fair enough, but beware of the workload...:wink:
xinolisss
I did them back in Jan 2008 578/600 :biggrin: --> A

I actually did 9 modules back in Jan starting from September... so that left me with 3 modules in summer for Further MAths 591/600 :biggrin: --> A

did you learn it yourself or did you have lessons in school?
sleekchic
did you learn it yourself or did you have lessons in school?

It varied... I did learn most by myself where I had questions though, there was fortunately somebody there to help for MOST of the time...
Reply 27
in my school, at least, everyone who does FMaths will complete their Maths alevel in the first year which is 6 modules and FMaths modules in the 2nd year, so its certainly achievable.. hope that gives u more confident.
Reply 28
I think it's certainly doable. If it were me though, I would try and do C1,C2 and C3 in January and then concentrate on C4 and the two other modules in June as this leaves you time to resit C3 if you need and spend a bit more time on C4.
I'm sort of in the same boat as you, only I've just started year 12 a few weeks ago.
I've suddenly decided I'd quite like to do Physics at degree level, but haven't chosen Maths as one of my options and the 'deadline' for course changes has passed :s-smilie:

Still, this thread has given me some hope :yep:, guess I'll just have to ask my Sixth Form soon as possible..
Reply 30
Question to xinolisss

How did you manage to complete a-level maths in two months, ive just completed a degree in business with financial strategy and am looking to do maths a-level because i never did it at college i studied the first year of a-level when i was 15 but did get chance to take the test because they changed the name from pure maths to core maths. would you be able to tell me where you did this? was it at home study?
Reply 31
It's very possible to do A-level maths in 1 year. Also dont listen to people saying if you aint got a minimum A in GCSE than do it.. Rubbish talk there.... If you work hard enough you can do it. I revised C4 3 hours 1 day before my exam and obtained a B so anything is possible mate.
Reply 32
Im also in the same predicament at the moment i've realised that i wish to study chemical engineering, i have applied for a foundation year engineering at oxford brookes which i have recieved an offer for however i dont wish to stay on at oxford brookes after the foundation year, but at the same time thinkin that most unis may frown upon the fact that you have studied a foundation year engineering. would the best option be for me to do the whole A level in maths over the course of a year ?? Thanks
everyone at school does it in 6 months.

it's just the way it's always been so dw.
it does take a lot of effort but as long as you don't mind giving that from your side, you'll do super.
Reply 34
all doing A2 level add me
[email protected]
[email protected]
i need some help
and tell me that u r doing the A2 level
Reply 35
did you do it?
Reply 36
Original post by Ezikio
I'll be returning for my second year of college in september and have suddenly decided that I"ll need A level maths to get into the university I want to. Is it possible to do this in one year and has anyone done it.

I realise i may have to ask my college but I don't go back for re-enrollment for a while, so any halp would be appreciated.

Some Adult education programmes do it in one year, two evenings a week.
Check you local one if your college is not supportive.
Reply 37
Hi All

Sort of related.....my son got a B in his GCSE - (just didn't grasp the impact of not studying although he did get an A in his mocks). His school only allowed him to do an AS level maths as a result. He wants to do engineering and needs a full A level maths. The school won't let him do the full A level (he would need to drop another subject) - what are his options for completing the full A level outside of school? Thanks
Original post by Lorna850
Hi All

Sort of related.....my son got a B in his GCSE - (just didn't grasp the impact of not studying although he did get an A in his mocks). His school only allowed him to do an AS level maths as a result. He wants to do engineering and needs a full A level maths. The school won't let him do the full A level (he would need to drop another subject) - what are his options for completing the full A level outside of school? Thanks

Assuming he's taking AS maths this year then he can complete A2 exams as a private candidate next year. There could be problems with coursework only if he studies the OCR-MEI specification. You will find private candidate guidance on examiner web sites. He will study the material in his own time and you would pay for him to take the exams, possibly at his own school or at a school/college nearby that accepts private candidates. It's up to you/him to find a centre. They are free to charge whatever price they want, typically around £50 per exam but can be much more in some centres. He would need to look at exam timetables for 2018 to ensure he didn't need to be in two places at once if there were any exam schedule clashes.

As for the learning the material, he could buy and work through text books, use web sites like www.examsolutions.net, optionally get a private tutor to help (£30-50/hour) or buy a distance learning package from a reputable supplier (e.g. NEC)

[FYI it's better to start a new discussion than dig up an old dead one.]

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Original post by gdunne42
Assuming he's taking AS maths this year then he can complete A2 exams as a private candidate next year. There could be problems with coursework only if he studies the OCR-MEI specification. You will find private candidate guidance on examiner web sites. He will study the material in his own time and you would pay for him to take the exams, possibly at his own school or at a school/college nearby that accepts private candidates. It's up to you/him to find a centre. They are free to charge whatever price they want, typically around £50 per exam but can be much more in some centres. He would need to look at exam timetables for 2018 to ensure he didn't need to be in two places at once if there were any exam schedule clashes.

As for the learning the material, he could buy and work through text books, use web sites like www.examsolutions.net, optionally get a private tutor to help (£30-50/hour) or buy a distance learning package from a reputable supplier (e.g. NEC)

[FYI it's better to start a new discussion than dig up an old dead one.]

Posted from TSR Mobile

Many thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending