H176975
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to apply as mature student to university, I'm 25, I've not got the requirement academic but have worked in the specific degree I'm applying for.
I've applied to Wolverhampton University as its mostly adults and it's only 20 minutes from me
Does anyone know any universitys that actively accept mature students, it's law llb
It will be mostly on my peers, onal statement and work history than academic
I've only applied to 1 University but don't know any more that accept mature students, and I can't contaxt each university as most are closed
Thanks in advance
Advertisement
littlepike
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by H176975)
I want to apply as mature student to university, I'm 25, I've not got the requirement academic but have worked in the specific degree I'm applying for.
I've applied to Wolverhampton University as its mostly adults and it's only 20 minutes from me
Does anyone know any universitys that actively accept mature students, it's law llb
I've only applied to 1 University but don't know any more that accept mature students, and I can't contaxt each university as most are closed
Thanks in advance
As far as I know all universities accept mature students as long as they can meet the minimum entrance criteria. Furthermore, there is Access Course to Higher Education, which lasts for one year and depending on the grades you get would allow you to get onto most university courses. A relative of mine did Access to HE in Radiography, which allowed him to get into university to study Diagnostic Radiography and is now working as a registered Radiographer. Hope this helps.
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You cab apply through ucas still. All universities accept mature students as long as you have the required academics.
If you don’t then what do you have? Any a levels? It’s is probably a case of applying for lower ranked courses or re-doing exams. Law is usually pretty competitive to get onto good course
Advertisement
Rachael.Elisa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

I am 31 and will be starting my LLB in September. All universities will accept mature students. I recieved 4 unconditional offers out of my 5 choices, and do not have A Levels (I have 4 AS Levels and a BTEC). Some universities will accept you with equivalent qualifications if you meet the UCAS points criteria. Alternatively, you could do an Access course or a 4 year LLB that incorporates a foundation year as these have lower entry requirements.

I wasn't confident that I would get many offers when I submitted my application, so I think that you may as well put 5 unis down and see what happens
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rachael.Elisa)
Hi,

I am 31 and will be starting my LLB in September. All universities will accept mature students. I recieved 4 unconditional offers out of my 5 choices, and do not have A Levels (I have 4 AS Levels and a BTEC). Some universities will accept you with equivalent qualifications if you meet the UCAS points criteria. Alternatively, you could do an Access course or a 4 year LLB that incorporates a foundation year as these have lower entry requirements.

I wasn't confident that I would get many offers when I submitted my application, so I think that you may as well put 5 unis down and see what happens
Just so other people can learn from this thread and not be mistaken, I presume you're not saying that you were accepted unconditionally by four universities solely on the basis of 4 AS levels and a BTEC taken 13 years ago... What other further study or preparation were you required to do in order to receive these offers?
Advertisement
Catherine1973
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was accepted with a degree from 25 years ago.

However I also had done a recent gcse in law

It wasn’t clear that this was needed to apply but apparently it was in the small print that you needed evidence if recent study. Luckily I managed to cross that without being aware of it (and my degree was high enough to qualify, I wouldn’t have got in with my a levels as no a stars when I did mine!)
Rachael.Elisa
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Just so other people can learn from this thread and not be mistaken, I presume you're not saying that you were accepted unconditionally by four universities solely on the basis of 4 AS levels and a BTEC taken 13 years ago... What other further study or preparation were you required to do in order to receive these offers?
Hi there,
I've not done any other study or qualifications. My grades were reasonably good; A's and B's at GCSE and AS and Distinctions in my BTEC, which as far as I am aware is equivalent to 3 A's at A Level. I have been working since I left education, and I currently work for an independent financial advisor. I didn't mean for my post to be confusing, just that in my case, my qualifications exceeded the UCAS point requirement which I assume is why I recieved my offers.
Last edited by Rachael.Elisa; 1 month ago
Advertisement
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,
I've not done any other study or qualifications. My grades were reasonably good; A's and B's at GCSE and AS and Distinctions in my BTEC, which as far as I am aware is equivalent to 3 A's at A Level. I have been working since I left education, and I currently work for an independent financial advisor. I didn't mean for my post to he confusing, just that in my case, my qualifications exceeded the UCAS point requirement which i assume is why i recieved my offers.
Thanks for that - I wasn't suggesting your post was confusing, so sorry if it came across like that

It's unusual for universities to accept qualifications that are 13-years old without requiring evidence of further recent study - this is sort of what I was getting at. Was the last time you did academic study these AS/BTECs, which you presumably took in 2004-ish - and this is what your university offers were based on? Would you mind telling us the universities from which you've received offers, and was this for a full law degree, rather than a foundation year/degree?

Things like this are really helpful for other would-be applicants, so thanks for your posts

EDIT: also, were you interviewed for any of these offers, or just made them on the basis of your UCAS application?
Last edited by Reality Check; 1 month ago
Rachael.Elisa
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Thanks for that - I wasn't suggesting your post was confusing, so sorry if it came across like that

It's unusual for universities to accept qualifications that are 13-years old without requiring evidence of further recent study - this is sort of what I was getting at. Was the last time you did academic study these AS/BTECs, which you presumably took in 2004-ish - and this is what your university offers were based on? Would you mind telling us the universities from which you've received offers, and was this for a full law degree, rather than a foundation year/degree?

Things like this are really helpful for other would-be applicants, so thanks for your posts
I completed my BTEC in 2008 and started a Fine Art degree at Chelsea, but I left after the first year as I realised that, although I love art as a hobby, I did not want to pursue it as a career.
I applied for the 3 year full LLB and received offers from Westminster, South Bank, ULaw, Canterbury Christchurch and Kent. As you can see from my choices, I wasn't very confident! But I confirmed my place at Kent, which I'm pleased with as it was definitely my best option. I was also restricted to applying to universities that I can commute to, but I am happy with where I will be going.
Advertisement
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I completed my BTEC in 2008 and started a Fine Art degree at Chelsea, but I left after the first year as I realised that, although I love art as a hobby, I did not want to pursue it as a career.
I applied for the 3 year full LLB and received offers from Westminster, South Bank, ULaw, Canterbury Christchurch and Kent. As you can see from my choices, I wasn't very confident! But I confirmed my place at Kent, which I'm pleased with as it was definitely my best option. I was also restricted to applying to universities that I can commute to, but I am happy with where I will be going.
Thanks for that. It's useful to know about these things when we advise other applicants, particularly from a 'evidence of recent academic study and attainment' point of view which, up to now, had sort of been assumed to be a requirement, particularly for subjects like law.

I'll certainly reference this post and your experience in future questions regarding mature students and requirements.
Last edited by Reality Check; 1 month ago
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks in advance
In practice all universities accept mature students. However typically they will expect some evidence of recent study, and you will be otherwise expected to meet the entry criteria for the course you are applying to the same as other students. You may be able to do so via e.g. an Access to HE course or similar though. Generally, law degrees are fundamentally academic degrees which is why they want to see evidence of recent study and usually expect academic entry requirements. It is generally uncommon for universities (at all) to purely accept a student on the basis of work in the field; this may be the case especially with law since a law degree is not in of itself a practical training course in the practice of law.

You'll need to look around at course providers to see what their entry requirements are, but I imagine most will want to see at least some recent study if you otherwise did e.g. typical A-levels meeting (or close to) their entry requirements some years ago, or an Access to HE course if you don't have anything suitable from your school years. I'd recommend also looking at some Access to HE courses nearby or the possibility of taking e.g. OU modules or similar to prepare you for further study and use as a basis to apply to other degree programmes with.

The only course otherwise that might be more aligned to the needs of mature students which might be more inclined to consider professional experience is that at Birkbeck College, London - which is taught in the evenings, can be done part time, and the uni on the whole tends to get more mature professionals applying to its courses due to the availability of part time and/or evening study. It is in London though.
Advertisement
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
In practice all universities accept mature students. However typically they will expect some evidence of recent study, and you will be otherwise expected to meet the entry criteria for the course you are applying to the same as other students. You may be able to do so via e.g. an Access to HE course or similar though. Generally, law degrees are fundamentally academic degrees which is why they want to see evidence of recent study and usually expect academic entry requirements. It is generally uncommon for universities (at all) to purely accept a student on the basis of work in the field; this may be the case especially with law since a law degree is not in of itself a practical training course in the practice of law.
This is, pretty much verbatim, my understanding of the position. However, read the story of Rachael above. Not just one, but four offers without interview for a full law LL.B on the basis of AS levels and a BTEC taken 12 years ago with no academic study since...

Flabergasted doesn't even come close...
Keele University
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks in advance
We have a strong community of mature students at Keele (I'm one of them!), and do offer a Law LLB. You can find out about the course - and the entry requirements - at https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/underg...y-requirements.

We also have a Foundation Year option for the course, which is often popular with students who have been away from an academic environment for some time, or who have non-traditional qualifications that would not ordinarily allow them to meet entry requirements (https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/foundationyears/).

I'm not sure exactly what proportion of our LLB cohort is made up of mature students however one of our mature LLB students, April, works for us as a student buddy on Unibuddy and would, I'm sure, be happy to have a chat about the course and her experience of studying at Keele as a mature student if you wanted to find out more. You can find out more details about this and start a Unibuddy chat at https://api.unibuddy.co/og/keele-uni...Position=share

Amy
Advertisement
polpo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks in advance
Do you want to become a Solicitor?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (63)
41.45%
Take autumn exams (53)
34.87%
Look for a job (3)
1.97%
Consider an apprenticeship (4)
2.63%
Take a year out (20)
13.16%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
5.92%

Watched Threads