teeteexox
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
If I do the exam in October will I still be able to apply to Oxbridge due to the early deadline
Advertisement
becausethenight
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It’s not clear. You might have to apply with predicted grades for your autumn ‘resits’ - I’d have a look on Ox/Cams websites to see what they say and possibly email them.
rawdoncrawley
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm emailing Cambridge to ask about this exact issue. I feel like they probably will not extend their deadline because it will be of expense to them financially to reorganise interviews etc. they will also be able to argue that to apply to study at oxbridge you should be of consistent academic brilliance, so they probably won't be a fan of the retakes. its so disappointing. I was predicted A*AB and was planning on reapplying with my exam results, hopefully after getting A*AA. small chance of that now such is life I suppose
Advertisement
teeteexox
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by rawdoncrawley)
I'm emailing Cambridge to ask about this exact issue. I feel like they probably will not extend their deadline because it will be of expense to them financially to reorganise interviews etc. they will also be able to argue that to apply to study at oxbridge you should be of consistent academic brilliance, so they probably won't be a fan of the retakes. its so disappointing. I was predicted A*AB and was planning on reapplying with my exam results, hopefully after getting A*AA. small chance of that now such is life I suppose
This whole situation is awful. No clarity and they just leave us guessing. I can see the argument about being consistent throughout your whole time at college but at the end of the day if you were constituent throughout and then messed up the exams they wouldn’t let you in so it’s not really true. Let me know what they say and hopefully it’ll be good news
rawdoncrawley
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
they said they do not plan to change the deadline :/
Advertisement
rawdoncrawley
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
they said they do not plan to change the deadline :/
(Original post by teeteexox)
This whole situation is awful. No clarity and they just leave us guessing. I can see the argument about being consistent throughout your whole time at college but at the end of the day if you were constituent throughout and then messed up the exams they wouldn’t let you in so it’s not really true. Let me know what they say and hopefully it’ll be good news
hey they said the deadline will ‘remain as it is’. looks like it’s cambridge postgrad for me! such a shame, it’s very irritating because this could have been something good for many of us. my sister is on her gap year rn and applied to oxford for medicine after she got the grades to do so. she was interviewed but rejected. it’s just vexing because i feel as though had i had the grades and been interviewed i definitely could have had a chance. but anyways, onto bigger and better things. best of luck to you!!
teeteexox
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
hey they said the deadline will ‘remain as it is’. looks like it’s cambridge postgrad for me! such a shame, it’s very irritating because this could have been something good for many of us. my sister is on her gap year rn and applied to oxford for medicine after she got the grades to do so. she was interviewed but rejected. it’s just vexing because i feel as though had i had the grades and been interviewed i definitely could have had a chance. but anyways, onto bigger and better things. best of luck to you!!
Ah oh well. Hopefully we’ll find the right uni for us in the end then. Best of luck to you too
Advertisement
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
but anyways, onto bigger and better things. best of luck to you!!
Am I... missing something? Why would having an exam in October be a problem?

What subject is this.
teeteexox
Rep:
?
(Original post by nexttime)
Am I... missing something? Why would having an exam in October be a problem?

What subject is this.
For oxbridge they’re deadline is in October but if you do the exam in October you won’t get your grades until January. This means that I’m unsure if I’d be able to apply to oxbridge if I don’t get the grades in August.
Advertisement
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
For oxbridge they’re deadline is in October but if you do the exam in October you won’t get your grades until January. This means that I’m unsure if I’d be able to apply to oxbridge if I don’t get the grades in August.
So you need grades achieved already to apply to Oxbridge?!
teeteexox
Rep:
?
(Original post by nexttime)
So you need grades achieved already to apply to Oxbridge?!
Well I’m unsure what grades I’d be able to put down on the application. I’ll ask the careers team at my sixth form to get answers on this
Advertisement
Schnuckiboo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I figured that if you were close to the grades needed anyway (say you get ABB-AAB and the entry requirement is AAA) you could probably apply as a private candidate essentially but maybe ask your college to see if they'd predict you the required grades, and then you can still apply but also go ahead with your exams in Autumn.

If you do well in the interviews and anything else- because the autumn exams results should be out sometime in January- you could get an unconditional offer since you would have achieved the grades
teeteexox
Rep:
?
(Original post by Schnuckiboo)
I figured that if you were close to the grades needed anyway (say you get ABB-AAB and the entry requirement is AAA) you could probably apply as a private candidate essentially but maybe ask your college to see if they'd predict you the required grades, and then you can still apply but also go ahead with your exams in Autumn.

If you do well in the interviews and anything else- because the autumn exams results should be out sometime in January- you could get an unconditional offer since you would have achieved the grades
Yeah I think that’d be a good idea. Guess I’ll just have to wait and see what my results are before I make any definite plans
Advertisement
Schnuckiboo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yeah I think that’d be a good idea. Guess I’ll just have to wait and see what my results are before I make any definite plans
Yeah I wouldn't worry about the logistics of it too much I'm studying again in case I need to sit the autumn exams, but if I need to reapply alongside that I don't think it will be a problem because most likely you can be predicted what you were before.

Just wondering whether unis will hold/defer our offers if we are planning on taking the autumn exams, since they're the earliest opportunity available, I think it's more fair to hold them than to make you reapply when you've already proved yourself, and our grades are more out of our control than they would be in an exam.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (22)
8.76%
Confident (30)
11.95%
Indifferent (43)
17.13%
Unsure (67)
26.69%
Worried (89)
35.46%

Watched Threads

Latest