How did you get over jealousy in your relationship?

Watch
8782bpols
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My previous relationships have been short and not very serious, so I hadn't really experienced jealousy.
This is my first long term relationship and I really want a future with my bf but I can't get past my jealousy.
I can't tell if it's because I really like him and don't want to lose him, if my self esteem has dropped or if we're just not the right match.

My boyfriend has recently started a new job and because of covid I obviously won't be meeting any of his colleagues anytime soon. So all I hear are stories from him about his interactions with colleagues. Unfortunately they all seem to be female. He goes quite in depth, describing conversations and encounters he has. Telling me things he has in common with them. Of course he is going to make friends but I can't help but feel incredibly jealous and worried that he's going to develop a crush. I don't necessarily think he would cheat on me but I know how obsessive he gets over things.

At his previous employment his colleagues were all fairly old so I wasn't that jealous.
Genuinely feel like it would be easier to just be single and not have to deal with jealousy and the feeling of dread that one day it could go wrong. I know jealousy is normal but I cannot cope with it at the moment. Particularly because we are long distance due to lockdown.
Last edited by 8782bpols; 1 year ago
aspimd
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 8782bpols)
My previous relationships have been short and not very serious, so I hadn't really experienced jealousy.
This is my first long term relationship and I really want a future with my bf but I can't get past my jealousy.
I can't tell if it's because I really like him and don't want to lose him, if my self esteem has dropped or if we're just not the right match.

My boyfriend has recently started a new job and because of covid I obviously won't be meeting any of his colleagues anytime soon. So all I hear are stories from him about his interactions with colleagues. Unfortunately they all seem to be female. He goes quite in depth, describing conversations and encounters he has. Telling me things he has in common with them. Of course he is going to make friends but I can't help but feel incredibly jealous and worried that he's going to develop a crush. I don't necessarily think he would cheat on me but I know how obsessive he gets over things.

At his previous employment his colleagues were all fairly old so I wasn't that jealous.
Genuinely feel like it would be easier to just be single and not have to deal with jealousy and the feeling of dread that one day it could go wrong. I know jealousy is normal but I cannot cope with it at the moment. Particularly because we are long distance due to lockdown.
How long have you been together?

My jealousy went away because me arguing with him was making us both miserable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.74%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.06%
I need help with my personal statement (75)
42.13%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (41)
23.03%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.69%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.87%

Watched Threads