Is it too late for me to get legal work experience?

Watch
Lucas Scott
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm a non-law undergrad going into my year abroad (which might be going ahead still)/final year of uni and I've come to realise that I may still want to be a lawyer, but I don't have any legal work experience and I just really want to figure out if becoming a lawyer is what I want and whether it's achievable.

Is it too late to apply for stuff in my final year? I remember hearing that you have to apply for Vac Schemes in second year if you're non-law so what are my options currently?

Are there any books which are recommended reading?
Tinders
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Not necessarily. You'd need to look at and research individual firms, but some may accept a third-year student onto their vac scheme.
james_law2.0
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It is very do-able!

Just be very careful how much you take on and do as you do not want it to be detrimental to your third year results. I would advise trying to secure in holidays etc, when you are not at university.
apolaroidofus
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
This might interest you - https://www.brightnetwork.co.uk/inte...erience-uk/law
Johnny ~
Badges: 11
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Lucas Scott)
I remember hearing that you have to apply for Vac Schemes in second year if you're non-law so what are my options currently?
This is generally untrue. Students are generally expected to apply two years in advance. That means that non-law students are expected to apply in their third year of university. This has since changed as more firms are willing to consider students three years in advance. Also, many firms accept graduates (both law and non-law) onto their spring/winter vac schemes.

What you need to do is draw up a list of firms you want to apply to and go on their websites and find this information out for yourself.
Last edited by Johnny ~; 2 weeks ago
Lucas Scott
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Johnny ~)
This is generally untrue. Students are generally expected to apply two years in advance. That means that non-law students are expected to apply in their third year of university. This has since changed as more firms are willing to consider students three years in advance. Also, many firms accept graduates (both law and non-law) onto their spring/winter vac schemes.

What you need to do is draw up a list of firms you want to apply to and go on their websites and find this information out for yourself.
Are vac schemes the only necessary law-related work experience required to secure training contracts? I didn't do any law related experience in year 10 or in Sixth Form so I'm wondering if I'll be at a disadvantage because of that.
Johnny ~
Report 2 weeks ago
Are vac schemes the only necessary law-related work experience required to secure training contracts? I didn't do any law related experience in year 10 or in Sixth Form so I'm wondering if I'll be at a disadvantage because of that.
Yes, you will be realistically expected to have some legal work experience in a firm that does similar things to the one you're applying to. It's the only way to show that you have made an informed choice as to the career + firm combo.
You won't be considered for a TC early enough for you to only have your sixth form work experience. You will have time to apply to first year schemes, then 'full' vacation schemes. You can probably aim to get other legal work experience through social mobility programmes or your personal contacts during this time (if applicable).
Lucas Scott
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Yes, you will be realistically expected to have some legal work experience in a firm that does similar things to the one you're applying to. It's the only way to show that you have made an informed choice as to the career + firm combo.
You won't be considered for a TC early enough for you to only have your sixth form work experience. You will have time to apply to first year schemes, then 'full' vacation schemes. You can probably aim to get other legal work experience through social mobility programmes or your personal contacts during this time (if applicable).
Alright thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Is prior knowledge required when applying for internships? I've seen an internship which I may apply for but there's no clear requirement of prior background knowledge of commercial law, so would researching general information about that specific area of law be fine? Or are internship students usually expected to have a bunch of background knowledge on the subject?
Johnny ~
Report 4 days ago
Is prior knowledge required when applying for internships? I've seen an internship which I may apply for but there's no clear requirement of prior background knowledge of commercial law, so would researching general information about that specific area of law be fine? Or are internship students usually expected to have a bunch of background knowledge on the subject?
This very much depends on the interview format. Some firms (CC, HSF, a couple of US) grilled me much more on the basics of deals and commercial terminology than others. You will need some knowledge, but it's generally not legal. There are various prep books that advise on what is needed and what isn't. The student interview experiences section on TCLA (https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/experience/) can also help you pin down what it is that needs to be researched.

Edit: A handful of firms ask you to prepare case studies that will then be discussed at interview. These case studies will require you to research at least one legal issue and advise the client on it. But that gives you more time to build up the knowledge you need.
Last edited by Johnny ~; 4 days ago
Lucas Scott
Rep:
?
This very much depends on the interview format. Some firms (CC, HSF, a couple of US) grilled me much more on the basics of deals and commercial terminology than others. You will need some knowledge, but it's generally not legal. There are various prep books that advise on what is needed and what isn't. The student interview experiences section on TCLA (https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/experience/) can also help you pin down what it is that needs to be researched.

Edit: A handful of firms ask you to prepare case studies that will then be discussed at interview. These case studies will require you to research at least one legal issue and advise the client on it. But that gives you more time to build up the knowledge you need.
Oh okay, that is very useful info thank you! Do you think this would apply to this online internship one of the posters linked from Internship Experience UK (https://www.brightnetwork.co.uk/inte...ience-uk/law)?
Johnny ~
Report 4 days ago
Oh okay, that is very useful info thank you! Do you think this would apply to this online internship one of the posters linked from Internship Experience UK (https://www.brightnetwork.co.uk/inte...ience-uk/law)?
Hey, the link doesn't work
Last edited by Johnny ~; 4 days ago
Lucas Scott
Rep:
?
oops, my bad. Here's the link again. https://www.brightnetwork.co.uk/inte...erience-uk/law
Lucas Scott
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Found this timetable, seems like much pre-knowledge won't be necessary but it's best to be safe? https://brightnetwork.egnyte.com/dl/SBYq2CYzrA/
Johnny ~
Report 3 days ago
oops, my bad. Here's the link again. https://www.brightnetwork.co.uk/inte...erience-uk/law
Hey, this looks great. It's not CVable (it seems that most people who apply get onto the scheme) but it's a good educational/information opportunity for you. Make sure that you take lots of notes!
Lucas Scott
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Hey, this looks great. It's not CVable (it seems that most people who apply get onto the scheme) but it's a good educational/information opportunity for you. Make sure that you take lots of notes!
Okay great! I'm assuming I shouldn't be required to have any legal knowledge on commercial law for it? It looks quite interesting and not too daunting.
Johnny ~
Report 3 days ago
Okay great! I'm assuming I shouldn't be required to have any legal knowledge on commercial law for it? It looks quite interesting and not too daunting.
I don't think it will, from the looks of the schedule you sent
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (24)
8.92%
Confident (32)
11.9%
Indifferent (46)
17.1%
Unsure (70)
26.02%
Worried (97)
36.06%

Watched Threads