The Student Room Group

URGENT: To what extent were Indians themselves the only real obstacle to independence

To what extent were Indians themselves the only real obstacle to independence in the 1930s?

Found this practice essay u sure on what to say does anyone have ideas? I was thinking about the fact that if Ghandi’s non-violence protests had not failed by becoming violent then maybe the British would have complied sooner? Yes, not sure if this idea is the one but I’m interested in hearing points or suggestions that would help me to argue!
Original post by Yes134
To what extent were Indians themselves the only real obstacle to independence in the 1930s?

Found this practice essay u sure on what to say does anyone have ideas? I was thinking about the fact that if Ghandi’s non-violence protests had not failed by becoming violent then maybe the British would have complied sooner? Yes, not sure if this idea is the one but I’m interested in hearing points or suggestions that would help me to argue!

Churchill was the main obstacle to Indians (and Independence). By being a racist piece of ****. An actual quote by him, "Indians are a beastly people with a beastly religion.".
Original post by Gundabad(good)
Churchill was the main obstacle to Indians (and Independence). By being a racist piece of ****. An actual quote by him, "Indians are a beastly people with a beastly religion.".

Churchill wasn't in power in the 1930s.
To be honest, one of the main reasons were Indians themselves.

When the Ottomon Empire fell in 1924, the Khilafat movement started in India and Ghandhi approached the muslims asking them if he could join them and the objective was clear, "to remove the British from Indian lands (for gandhi and Indians) and from Muslim lands (for the muslims who lost their caliphate)." The problem with this is that Ghandhi not only dissolved the khilafat movement changing it to the "Indian independence movement" but he started feuds between Hindus and Muslims with Hindu nationalists calling him a traitor.

I think that Ghandi is the reason Pakistan exists and the religious divide was how the British could delay the Indians from getting their independence.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending