apolaroidofus
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi! I've got a couple (more like un monton!) of questions about Edexcel A-level Spanish

- What A-level Spanish like?
- I've heard that for the listening you get to listen to the tracks individually with headphones and can replay it as many times as you like, is this true?
- Are the topics interesting?
- Would you say you learn enough Spanish to become fluent by the end if you achieve an A*?
- How hard would it be for a grade 9 GCSE student to get an A*?
- In what way do you study the text? (ie is it like GCSE English Literature or is it more just about themes and events?)

Sorry there are so many, thank you so much! X
fijitastic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Im taking Spanish this year as well! I can't say much but my cousin took Spanish as well at A Level and she got grade 9 at gcse and A* at A Level so if you put in the work and effort you can obviously do well. You don't learn enough Spanish to become fluent that's for sure but you learn enough to have a good convo w someone. The AQA Spanish A Level topics are superrrr interesting, we've already completed our first 3 topics in our bridging course and it's so interesting. And when you study the text and film you go over different themes, characters, their impact and the history- in our schools that's what we do.

Get on kerboodle and look at the online spanish a level textbook to get a better idea
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hey, so I did French AQA, but a lot of your questions are similar for many A level languages, although if any Edexcel Spanish people disagree with me, please feel free to ignore hat I've said!

1. unike GCSE languages, A level languages require you to use the language more independently, rather than just learning set phrases etc as a lot of people do at GCSE. As well as learning about grammar, you also learning about Spanish-speaking culture and Spanish literature/ film meaning that the topics are a lot broader.
2. FOr AQA, at least, that's true, and I'd guess that it would be the same.
3. That depends on what you like studying, but there is a lot more variation than at GCSE, and a lot more room for debate.
4. Perhaps not fluent, but it gives you a good basis for fluency if you work hard and do well at the end. Certainly you can become strongly conversational.
5. Most a levels are difficult, whatever you get at GCSE. However, if you work hard all the way through (especially on listening practice, speaking practice and vocab, but also on grammar and essay writing/ exam technique) there's no reason not to get a high grade. I'd especially recommend finding a podcast to listenin to that you enjoy, and trying to listen to it at least once per week. Even if you don't understand every word, listening to fast Spanish can really help you for the listening exams. Practicing vocab daily is also really helpful.
6. It is quite similar to English literature, but it's more focused on meaning than on literary techniques and close analysis.
Hammad(214508)
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
- What A-level Spanish like? It's a great subject to take if you interested in it and helps with your career
- I've heard that for the listening you get to listen to the tracks individually with headphones and can replay it as many times as you like, is this true? Yes this is true , but I assume it might be different for different specifications . I can confirm for AQA
- Are the topics interesting? Again depends on exam board but generally yes, examples: tourism, sexist, culture, celebrities...
- Would you say you learn enough Spanish to become fluent by the end if you achieve an A*? That's up to the person, you can get A* and not be fluent. But surely you'll have a great understanding in Spanish so being fluent shouldn't be a hard task after this
- How hard would it be for a grade 9 GCSE student to get an A*? GCSE to A-Levels is a big change in everything , cannot use GCSE data to predict how'd you do. But if you are hardworking , you'll get there
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (9)
37.5%
No - I have already returned home (4)
16.67%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (6)
25%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (1)
4.17%
No - I live at home during term anyway (4)
16.67%

Watched Threads