Politics and Intl. Relations VS Geography

Watch
elbarnes123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi everyone,
I'm currently in Year 12 (IB1) doing my IB- my higher subjects are Geography, Economics and Spanish. I've been looking at Bristol, Exeter, St Andrews, Durham etc but I can't decide whether I want to study Politics and Intl. Relations or BA Geography. I've never studied Politics but it really interests me. Has anyone done either of these courses and would mind giving me their opinion?

Thank you!
UniOfLincolnStudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by elbarnes123)
Hi everyone,
I'm currently in Year 12 (IB1) doing my IB- my higher subjects are Geography, Economics and Spanish. I've been looking at Bristol, Exeter, St Andrews, Durham etc but I can't decide whether I want to study Politics and Intl. Relations or BA Geography. I've never studied Politics but it really interests me. Has anyone done either of these courses and would mind giving me their opinion?

Thank you!
Hi elbarnes123,

I know you're not considering Lincoln but maybe you could? I have linked the Social and Political Sciences options and the geography options. Our SocPol courses are amazing at Lincoln and in terms of Geography there is lots of practical work involved and the course is quite small having only been going for 3 years now. If you would like to talk to our students about the courses themselves and any questions about accommodation or Lincoln please find a list of them on our UniBuddy site here.

Best wishes,
Lexy
4th year student rep
expatmum
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by elbarnes123)
Hi everyone,

Thank you!
FYI International Relations at the universities you've mentioned is incredibly competitive - the St. Andrews course is considered one of the best in the world and it has a comparatively small intake. You might want to look at first year course numbers, applications and offers etc to get a realistic idea of whether you will get in. Also I would think a strong personal statement with proven interest in politics / international relations would be really important (not sure if not having politics A Level would affect your chances or not), so you may want to develop your interest into some active extra curriculars before you apply.
elbarnes123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by expatmum)
FYI International Relations at the universities you've mentioned is incredibly competitive - the St. Andrews course is considered one of the best in the world and it has a comparatively small intake. You might want to look at first year course numbers, applications and offers etc to get a realistic idea of whether you will get in. Also I would think a strong personal statement with proven interest in politics / international relations would be really important (not sure if not having politics A Level would affect your chances or not), so you may want to develop your interest into some active extra curriculars before you apply.
Thanks! I chose those universities because of their reputations
I have done several MUNs and been part of school Intl. Soc and ran Global Affairs club so my personal statement should show consistent interest. My school doesn't offer Politics for IB else I would have done it.
I'm predicted 42 (777776 plus 1 core) and St Andrews is 38, Durham 37, Exeter 36 and Bristol 36 so hopefully, I have a good chance! Fingers crossed
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Have a look at International Development as a subject - its a good fit for Geography and Politics.

Leeds : https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/f485/int...development-ba
Sussex : https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/under...development-ba
UEA : https://www.uea.ac.uk/course/undergr...velopment/2020
Reading : http://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-st...velopment.aspx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (66)
12.13%
Virtual campus tours/open days (132)
24.26%
Live streaming events (47)
8.64%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (52)
9.56%
A uni comparison tool (127)
23.35%
An in-person event when available (120)
22.06%