Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Franc Vouloir)
    **** no. Quite the opposite.
    Lol- I think the 'charming' girls are just really hard to find

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EducatingBrogan)
    8 cans of Strongbow for a fiver down the "offie", and the discovery that lying sprawled on a wall with your tights round your ankles, roaring out the chorus of a Cascada song and dribbling vomit is likely to get you laid (by the ever-charming boy racer/drooling 60 year old population of your town)

Though I'm only speaking for the rougher ends of every ****-pit in Britain, you understand :rolleyes: some of us are actually lovely.
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    The decent ones, definitely.

PS. I'm English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by titanlux)
    About it being subjective, well i suppose it is but what would you say if i asked are the french in general charming?
    Haha well I'd say yes the french are well known for possesing much charm and as a nation they seem to posess more charm than other european countries in general. But have you seen how agressive the parisians can be?! Not only that but I have met some very cold-hearted french people.

Mostly the old fashioned english are very charming not so much the modern english that have been described on this thread (that is a generalization but of all generalizations to make there is a grain of truth in it).

ReputationRep:
    I would say the varst varst majority are not.

Some are though... and those who are do it the best...

But i wouldnt say charm is the right word (ive always thought charm was a male thing...)

ReputationRep:
    charming
    -To be alluring or pleasing (according to dictionary.com)

Well I don't find them/us to be charming or pleasing but someone probably does.

ReputationRep:
    I am charming

ReputationRep:
    OP: I hope you realise that not all women are the same, whether they have the same nationality or not.

As for all English women being charming, I do not think this lady is charming in the slightest :p::

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/33/39...64230809bf.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobagnall)
    ... i wouldnt say charm is the right word (ive always thought charm was a male thing...)

A male thing!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.britishblogs.co.uk/images/39693.jpg

And did those feet in ancient time
    Walk upon England's mountains green
    And was the holy lamb of God
    On England's pleasant pastures seen

And did the countenance divine
    Shine forth upon our clouded hills
    And was Jerusalem builded here
    Among those dark Satanic mills

Bring me my bow of burning gold
    Bring me my arrows of desire
    Bring me my spears o'clouds unfold
    Bring me my chariot of fire

I will not cease from mental fight
    Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand
    'Til we have built Jerusalem
    In England's green and pleasant land
    'Til we have built Jerusalem
    In England's green and pleasant land

This thread reminds me of this:
    Swedish vs British nightclubs..

Haha to be fair it's a mixed bag in any country but I think an injection of class wouldn't go amiss in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    i don't think many english girls are traditionally charming. not many i've ever met anyway. the more "proper" ones i'd expect to be traditionally polite and charming, i don't know how else to put it, i've met have come across more abrupt and snotty than charming
    i think charm is more subjective these days and kind of like attractiveness(y'know? different strokes for different folks), and sometimes more a personality trait than something you can be taught. some people call me charming because i'll be cheeky and witty, then flash a smile and flutter my eyelashes just a little too much- but that's not being polite, educated and well turned out which is what i picture when i think of some charming english girl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0ptriX)

Haha to be fair it's a mixed bag in any country but I think an injection of class wouldn't go amiss in the UK.
    oh maaaann, that's funny (: r-r-rep
    but a real unfair comparison! a leading VIP night club vs some hell hole pub in newcastle? reeealllyyyy! the swedish place didn't exactly exuberate class tbf though

ReputationRep:
    lol this seems like the extreme also pointed out by EducatingBrogan.
    And the ordinary girl next door? I'm not talking about physical appearance but the way they treat you... Do they have 'joie de vivre' when you talk to them (on average)? Tell me a nice anecdote if you have one.
    Only nice Anecdote i have with an english girl is one who has lived in another country for a few years!

ReputationRep:
    French women>English women

English women aren't the worst in the world, can unfortunately be quite frigid when you go up the social heirarchy, also quite snobby but then so are most english people.

Overall, I'd say Irish girls are friendlier, and French girls are hotttttt.

ReputationRep:
    most of them like to get drunk and adored. but i like the humble ones.

Edit: adored is an understatement... so is praised.

in my halls, you know who's english and you know who's not. Coz every friday, you will find (and i swear every friday or thursday) the same people getting drunk at 10 and popping out to a club drunk at 11.

But then again, it's stupid to generalize. A lot of them are decent though.

ReputationRep:
    Please provoke Educating Brogan, shes on fire

ReputationRep:
    That's very interesting you mentioned the war time... because i think charm is one of the things people find hardest to define, perhaps because it is least seen. How would you explain it and how do you thinks people have changed in terms of charm between now and the time you mention?
    I guess it's because of the values held at that time. People respected those who went to war, were polite to those who were older, and people mostly dressed with decency.
    Now people drink in whatever the media feed them, the youth are so disresespectful, you see people walking around half clothed and there's generally so much violence and irateness.

*not that I think everyone should support the iraz war etc., that's a different cup of tea, but those who fought against hitler deserve a little more respect than they get from the youth of today I believe*

& sorry I took so long to reply

xxx

ReputationRep:
    No I don't think we're charming at all. Having said that, having lived in different countries in Europe for many years, I would say we are definitely more relaxed and fun than a lot of girls in other European countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0ptriX)

LOOOOOOOOOL!
    I'm quite embarassed actually.
    But then not, because I know that while I might not be as beautiful as the Swedes, I'm not as hideous as any of them English ones, thought I'm half English.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.