Could the UK make it's own union?

Watch
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Alessandro.C_27)
No not at all, the brexitiers will have a union which has less laws than the EU and its central hq is in London
I said yes / leave voters.

Why would yes voters (such as I) have any interest in a union? Especially one based in that bloody London.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by paul514)
Such as? This isn’t a full political union it’s a trade deal with a few extras
OP specifically said that the new union would be like the EU. Not being a full political union doesn't stop it from having rules.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Add netherlands, Denmark and the rest of Scandinavia and Western Europe and I'd be happy
Why not just throw in the rest of Europe while you're at it...?
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The state of the rule breaking company obviously.
Ok. But what if that state turns a blind eye? After all it is their company that is benefiting from the advantage.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Such as? This isn’t a full political union it’s a trade deal with a few extras
Indeed. But trade deals dictate what can be traded. But when a country in the deal starts selling horse meat or chlorinated chicken when the deal is for beef or free range chicken you need some form of abitration cpunrt or you end up in a US / China type confrontation which benefits no one.
Alessandro.C_27
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SHallowvale)
Why not just throw in the rest of Europe while you're at it...?
Well france and Germany are large enough to support themselves and Eastern Europe is simply too different to the west
Alessandro.C_27
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quady)
I said yes / leave voters.

Why would yes voters (such as I) have any interest in a union? Especially one based in that bloody London.
Because London is the best bloody city in the world and it will make the UK a great nation once again. I must add that I would also expand heathrow massively
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
Ok. But what if that state turns a blind eye? After all it is their company that is benefiting from the advantage.
Well states have regulations, if regulations are broken it’s agencies go after them.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Indeed. But trade deals dictate what can be traded. But when a country in the deal starts selling horse meat or chlorinated chicken when the deal is for beef or free range chicken you need some form of abitration cpunrt or you end up in a US / China type confrontation which benefits no one.
Well firstly it’s down to that state to police it’s own regulations. It’s also down to the state to make sure it’s imports meet its own regulations
Mojmeer
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Mad_Dog_Graveson)
Maybe CANZUK + Norway, Switzerland, Iceland, Faroe Islands and Greenland
Well, Norway, Switzerland and Iceland are pretty much in EU.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Well firstly it’s down to that state to police it’s own regulations. It’s also down to the state to make sure it’s imports meet its own regulations
Agreed. But in a union the idea is generally to opperate a level playing fieeld across that union no? The UK is a union and by and large, our laws are universal across the whole union.

Outside of that you are generally on your own as many who trade with China, Russia and many other parts of the world well know.
Last edited by ByEeek; 4 weeks ago
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Agreed. But in a union the idea is generally to opperate a level playing fieeld across that union no? The UK is a union and by and large, our laws are universal across the whole union.

Outside of that you are generally on your own as many who trade with China, Russia and many other parts of the world well know.
Who mentioned a level playing field
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Well france and Germany are large enough to support themselves and Eastern Europe is simply too different to the west
You seem to be plucking countries out of thin air to add to this new grand union. You're disregarding all the current differences between countries on your list so why stop at Eastern Europe?

If anything, the fact that Eastern Europe is mostly within the EU should make it easier to form a bloc with them and Western Europe.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Because London is the best bloody city in the world and it will make the UK a great nation once again. I must add that I would also expand heathrow massively
Stirling is a better city than London.

Yes voters want the UK to be great once again? Do they? What period to they want to go back to?
Last edited by Quady; 4 weeks ago
Alessandro.C_27
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quady)
Stirling is a better city than London.

Yes voters want the UK to be great once again? Do they? What period to they want to go back to?
I assume you are talking about yes voters for Scotland? If so, please screw your head back on. Leaving the UK, you will be hopeless, we share such a symbiotic relationship that if you leave, both our economies will crumble.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I assume you are talking about yes voters for Scotland? If so, please screw your head back on. Leaving the UK, you will be hopeless, we share such a symbiotic relationship that if you leave, both our economies will crumble.
Yet you don't even recognise the union....
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
How?
Do you have any real basis for saying this bar a quaint bit of patriotism? London barely ranks in most metrics from livability to income to quality of life.
Equally, if the UK can only get by, by hanging on to the coattails of one city by definition there is nothing "great" about it.

I'm curious, have you ever actually been to many other cities be it Frankfurt, Paris, Vancouver, NYC, Melbourne, Singapore etc.?
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Do you have any real basis for saying this bar a quaint bit of patriotism? London barely ranks in most metrics from livability to income to quality of life.
Equally, if the UK can only get by, by hanging on to the coattails of one city by definition there is nothing "great" about it.

I'm curious, have you ever actually been to many other cities be it Frankfurt, Paris, Vancouver, NYC, Melbourne, Singapore etc.?
Agreed London is now a **** hole.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Who mentioned a level playing field
Why wouldn't you want a level playing field? The reason the UK is such a financial hub is because we have a very good legal framework and justice system. If you are wronged in this country there are lots of ways of seeking justice.

But if you try to do business in China for example, you don't stand a chance. For a start, you must register a Chinese company which effectively allows the government so get access to everything you do and things like copyright and patent protection are pretty much non-existent for foreign companies in China. Unsurprisingly, the biggest market place on the planet is out of bounds to most UK businesses.

Thank goodness we have Europe - oh wait...
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
How?

I think depends on who you are. I am no fan of London, but there are a huge number of pretty wealthy people in London for whom London is a worthy playground offering all you might want. Yes, it is dirty and grimy but then so are parts of the other cities you have mentioned. No doubt all will have their ills.

Like it or not, London is a global hub and draws in many many people. Yes, there are issues of social equality but this is true of all the alternatives you have mentioned. It is just that as foreigners we tend to view other cities as a tourist rather than as a resident. Singapore for example is spotless, but that is because of the draconian laws impost like an iron fist by the authorities. Would I like to live there? Probably not.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (35)
18.23%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (53)
27.6%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (104)
54.17%

Watched Threads