Could the UK make it's own union?

Watch
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
Why wouldn't you want a level playing field? The reason the UK is such a financial hub is because we have a very good legal framework and justice system. If you are wronged in this country there are lots of ways of seeking justice.

But if you try to do business in China for example, you don't stand a chance. For a start, you must register a Chinese company which effectively allows the government so get access to everything you do and things like copyright and patent protection are pretty much non-existent for foreign companies in China. Unsurprisingly, the biggest market place on the planet is out of bounds to most UK businesses.

Thank goodness we have Europe - oh wait...
Look I get what you are doing you want to have the EU debate all over again.

It’s finished.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
I think depends on who you are. I am no fan of London, but there are a huge number of pretty wealthy people in London for whom London is a worthy playground offering all you might want. Yes, it is dirty and grimy but then so are parts of the other cities you have mentioned. No doubt all will have their ills.

Like it or not, London is a global hub and draws in many many people. Yes, there are issues of social equality but this is true of all the alternatives you have mentioned. It is just that as foreigners we tend to view other cities as a tourist rather than as a resident. Singapore for example is spotless, but that is because of the draconian laws impost like an iron fist by the authorities. Would I like to live there? Probably not.
Oh i'm not saying it isnt. It's a global power house for sure but to label it the greatest city in the world is an opinion based on a specific lack of any evidence these days.
London may well be a great city in various respects but objectively you cannot call it the best anymore, not by a long shot. Not least of all because, unlike a century ago, it is no longer the center of the world.

I don't know, i'd recommend giving Singapore a try. Don't act like a yobo there and its peachy. I can't say i have much sympathy for people being arrested for spitting on the floor, disgusting habit.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Oh i'm not saying it isnt. It's a global power house for sure but to label it the greatest city in the world is an opinion based on a specific lack of any evidence these days.
London may well be a great city in various respects but objectively you cannot call it the best anymore, not by a long shot. Not least of all because, unlike a century ago, it is no longer the center of the world.

I don't know, i'd recommend giving Singapore a try. Don't act like a yobo there and its peachy. I can't say i have much sympathy for people being arrested for spitting on the floor, disgusting habit.
Fair dos. But I don't think you can call any city "the best" as there are so many ways to judge. Is a city that is average in two measures the same as a city that is 100% for 1 and 0% for the other?
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by paul514)
Agreed London is now a **** hole.
Always has been, always will be.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Quady)
Always has been, always will be.
I can remember when it wasn’t
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I can remember when it wasn’t
Really....? When 🤔
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Quady)
Really....? When 🤔
It wasn’t how it is today 20 years ago
Alessandro.C_27
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Ok there seems to be 2 distinct sides coming out now here and the debate seems to be getting heated.

I didn't start this conversation to create conflict but just to discuss things. I'm sure we can all agree that we want this great nation to be the best again, however I think we all have to accept that unless the rest of the g7 countries fall into a recession and we somehow stumble across £10 trillion, we will probably just fall into the mid range of countries such as Norway, Finland etc...
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Alessandro.C_27)
Ok there seems to be 2 distinct sides coming out now here and the debate seems to be getting heated.

I didn't start this conversation to create conflict but just to discuss things. I'm sure we can all agree that we want this great nation to be the best again, however I think we all have to accept that unless the rest of the g7 countries fall into a recession and we somehow stumble across £10 trillion, we will probably just fall into the mid range of countries such as Norway, Finland etc...
I don’t agree at all we are the fifth largest economy in the world with a shed load of built in benefits because of when the economic systems were built.

I really don’t know why people think we are smaller than what we actually are.

If we aren’t big then only China and USA are big.
Last edited by paul514; 4 weeks ago
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It wasn’t how it is today 20 years ago
True.

The Chinese tourists hadn't turned up and Internet shopping wasn't a thing so retail was important. The Jubilee line had just opened and was still shiny.

But it was grottier then.
LaPregunta
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Whilst I am here, may I ask one thing? It pertains to GDP. GDP per capita seems to say the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is a far less remarkable country than I believe it is thought. What am I missin?
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by LaPregunta)
Whilst I am here, may I ask one thing? It pertains to GDP. GDP per capita seems to say the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is a far less remarkable country than I believe it is thought. What am I missin?
In the scheme of western nations it’s not a fantastic GDP per capita but if you ruled out countries of say less than 30 million people or something like that we fly up the rankings
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's more a case of hanging on the one we've got. Northern Ireland is being hived off as a separate country already, partially in the EU and partially out of the UK. Scotland keeps agitating to leave. Soon we shall be in union only with Rockall, Gibralter, Tristan da Cunha and Belize. :rolleyes:
Ambitious1999
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Alessandro.C_27)
I was just wondering if we could make our own union, now seeing that we are leaving the EU.

We could have the same rules as the EU, but ever so slightly better to encourage countries to join.

We could then have commonwealth countries out of europe to connect us worldwide such as Canada, Australia and New Zealand. And every member state can have a little union jack in the corner of its flag.

I think this would be a good compromise for both remainers and brexiters because we would be out of the eu but still in a union.

HQ could be in london of course.

Maybe the union could be called the "United Kingdom" and what we currently see as the UK can be changed to Great Britain? Because there isn't really much difference between UK and GB anyways?

Another idea I had was to merge the uk with neighbouring nations such as Scandinavian countries, Belgium, Netherlands etc... just to keep us on the leaderboards because I find it so depressing how by 2050 our gdp will drop to 10th place and counties like Brazil and Mexico will be overtaking us!!
Can’t see that working. Most Brexiters voted to leave due to xenophobia and want Britain to be totally on its own or trading only with white English speaking nations.

We were in a union, it was called the EU and I know I will get slated on here for being a remoaner but we were fine as we were. We could live study work or retire in any of the 27 EU countries. We enjoyed visa free travel, customs union generous limits on how much alcohol we could bring back into UK from other EU countries. Funding for regional development, funding for further education, job creation and training schemes. EU Funding and collaboration for scientific and medical research, Postgraduate sponsorship schemes, human rights, employment and workers rights and protection etc.
We will be losing all of that but then again I’m just a stupid remoaner! Amazes me how 90% of people on TSR debates forums are so strongly in favour of Brexit. One of those things I will never understand and I’m not even sure I want to.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ambitious1999)
Can’t see that working. Most Brexiters voted to leave due to xenophobia and want Britain to be totally on its own or trading only with white English speaking nations.

We were in a union, it was called the EU and I know I will get slated on here for being a remoaner but we were fine as we were. We could live study work or retire in any of the 27 EU countries. We enjoyed visa free travel, customs union generous limits on how much alcohol we could bring back into UK from other EU countries. Funding for regional development, funding for further education, job creation and training schemes. EU Funding and collaboration for scientific and medical research, Postgraduate sponsorship schemes, human rights, employment and workers rights and protection etc.
We will be losing all of that but then again I’m just a stupid remoaner! Amazes me how 90% of people on TSR debates forums are so strongly in favour of Brexit. One of those things I will never understand and I’m not even sure I want to.
Other than those who voted to save the great British curry?

How much booze do you typically bring back from the EU typically anyhow? Pretty unclear what leaving the EU has to do with import limits tbh anyway.
Alessandro.C_27
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ambitious1999)

Very well said!
LaPregunta
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
It's more a case of hanging on the one we've got. Northern Ireland is being hived off as a separate country already, partially in the EU and partially out of the UK. Scotland keeps agitating to leave. Soon we shall be in union only with Rockall, Gibralter, Tristan da Cunha and Belize. :rolleyes:
The Chagos Archipelago?
Vapordave
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The Chagos Archipelago?
That will go back to Mauritius soon enough.
LaPregunta
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Daveological)
That will go back to Mauritius soon enough.
Back? Educate me.
Vapordave
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Back? Educate me.
Basically the Chagos Islands, also known as the British Indian Ocean Territory, are a part of Mauritus that was taken by the UK for in 1965 for defence purposes during negotiations for independence. Chagossians were evicted from the islands and complain of being treated as second-class citizens in the rest of Mauritius. Mauritus, the UN and more recently the International Court of Justice have condemned the continued administration and urged the UK to return the islands as soon as possible. The UK has responded by saying the islands, which have a US base, will be returned when they are no longer needed for defence.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (35)
18.23%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (53)
27.6%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (104)
54.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed