How can I prepare for a Spanish/ Hispanic studies degree?

Watch this thread
Rosepreston1
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hiiii, I have a place to study hisapnic studies in september but i was just wondering what I can do to prepare for it ????? I'm pretty advanced already but should I be reading stuff and that?

Thanks !
Last edited by Rosepreston1; 1 year ago
Toscana
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
All I can suggest is to start learning spanish right now. You’re lucky since it’s one of the easiest languages you can learn. Try at least 30 minutes everyday of decent study. After a while, try 45 mins of study and then an hour
Cessna172172
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
It goes without saying that knowing aspects of grammar such as verb tables, irregular verbs and uses of the subjunctive for example will make your life much easier before you start and you will develop these throughout your studies. However, you will also be exploring Hispanic culture so, to give yourself a head start, perhaps try reading up on cultural elements of Spain and Latin America. If you know what you will be exploring in your modules then great, research those. If not then perhaps look at more general examples of Hispanic culture such as the Spanish Civil war for example. Spanish/Latin American politics is likely to be included in most programs so brush up on aspects of those. Explore Hispanic literature also (I imagine you'll need to read at least one Hispanic book during your studies, but again this depends on your modules so try and find out what you will be reading). Finally, translation and interpreting are key skills you may develop (this will also improve your language skills tenfold) so maybe try practising translating a few articles or interpreting Spanish speech into English.

Please bear in mind that covering what I've said above is not essential before starting your studies, throughout your entire time at university your lecturers should not expect (or demand) perfect, native level Spanish (even in final year). You will have plenty of time to develop your language skills and cultural awareness during university and this should ultimately be an enjoyable experience so don't stress about it too much!

Just a few ideas, hope this helps!
Rosepreston1
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Cessna172172)
It goes without saying that knowing aspects of grammar such as verb tables, irregular verbs and uses of the subjunctive for example will make your life much easier before you start and you will develop these throughout your studies. However, you will also be exploring Hispanic culture so, to give yourself a head start, perhaps try reading up on cultural elements of Spain and Latin America. If you know what you will be exploring in your modules then great, research those. If not then perhaps look at more general examples of Hispanic culture such as the Spanish Civil war for example. Spanish/Latin American politics is likely to be included in most programs so brush up on aspects of those. Explore Hispanic literature also (I imagine you'll need to read at least one Hispanic book during your studies, but again this depends on your modules so try and find out what you will be reading). Finally, translation and interpreting are key skills you may develop (this will also improve your language skills tenfold) so maybe try practising translating a few articles or interpreting Spanish speech into English.

Please bear in mind that covering what I've said above is not essential before starting your studies, throughout your entire time at university your lecturers should not expect (or demand) perfect, native level Spanish (even in final year). You will have plenty of time to develop your language skills and cultural awareness during university and this should ultimately be an enjoyable experience so don't stress about it too much!

Just a few ideas, hope this helps!
Thank you so much this is really useful! lockdown is the perfect time to do this as well!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (9)
36%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (8)
32%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
8%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (1)
4%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (1)
4%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
12%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
4%

Watched Threads