Good universities that AREN’T Russell group?

Watch
anaindiemood
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Which universities would you consider to be reputable/highly regarded that aren’t in the Russell Group, some that spring to mind are St Andrews, Bath and maybe Lancaster. Anymore?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by anaindiemood)
Which universities would you consider to be reputable/highly regarded that aren’t in the Russell Group, some that spring to mind are St Andrews, Bath and maybe Lancaster. Anymore?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Group
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You could consider some abroad that do teaching in the English language. There have been a number of threads about universities in the Netherlands, for example.
stereotypeasian
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Aberdeen
Dundee
Oxford Brookes
Heriot Watt
Strathclyde
Anglia Ruskin
Aston
Keele
Plymouth
Swansea
Leicester
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes those 3 plus Loughborough.

The question is highly subjective though
Mannings
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’d say Sussex and Kent
thebiochemguy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Agree with the above posts
Last edited by thebiochemguy; 1 week ago
Tinders
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by stereotypeasian)
Aberdeen
Dundee
Oxford Brookes
Heriot Watt
Strathclyde
Anglia Ruskin
Aston
Keele
Plymouth
Swansea
Leicester
All very good but I would also add:

Loughborough
Sussex
Kent
Surrey
etienne26
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Tinders)
All very good but I would also add:

Loughborough
Sussex
Kent
Surrey
Also:
UEA
Reading
SaDe7
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
maybe Harvard? I heard they're alright
anaindiemood
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by SaDe7)
maybe Harvard? I heard they're alright
If only I had the funding😍
University of East Anglia UG Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I'm probably biased but UEA is great and not enough people consider it honestly! It's at the top of student satisfaction rates and I can confirm that because I love it I always tell applicants to never focus completely on league tables and Russell groups because if you're not happy there then there's no point in paying £9000 a year to be sad!
macy_m
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I'm guessing it depends on the degree or course. RVC is 2nd for veterinary medicine in the world in 2020 and has been first before, but its not a russell group uni
Madinaahmed08
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
University of West of England (UWE)
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Depends on what you want to study. For engineering, Strathclyde and Heriot-Watt are very reputable and targeted by recruiters pretty heavily (or have been in the past anyway). For art history, the Courtauld is world leading and it's MA programme has produced a very large proportion of the current heads of major museums and galleries in the UK. Anglia Ruskin has a very well regarded illustration programme, while Bournemouth has one of the premier film production courses in the UK to my understanding.

Focus on what is specifically good for your field/sector, not some "general" sense of prestige. Employers in the relevant field will only know/care about the former, not the latter!
Vian
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by macy_m)
I'm guessing it depends on the degree or course. RVC is 2nd for veterinary medicine in the world in 2020 and has been first before, but its not a russell group uni
This cannot be emphasised enough. League tables/Russell Group are largely irrelevant when compared to uni reputation within your field of interest.
macy_m
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Vian)
This cannot be emphasised enough. League tables/Russell Group are largely irrelevant when compared to uni reputation within your field of interest.
exactly, in this specific example cambridge is quite a few rankings below in both world and uk rankings
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (60)
19.42%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (65)
21.04%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (58)
18.77%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (66)
21.36%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (31)
10.03%
I haven't started researching yet (29)
9.39%

Watched Threads