03catrin
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
My application to an Oxford summer school has been rejected and they said that I needed more supercurricular stuff on my personal statement. I'm worried that I haven't done enough and that I'll be rejected again when I apply to uni this autumn.
I'm thinking of applying for the Mathematics and Sport Science course at Loughborough and NTU. Are these unis as strict about supercurriculars as Oxbridge? If so, can anyone recommend wider reading books for sport and maths? I have good predicted grades and I play sport for the national team so I've got quite a few extracurriculars but I'm worried that I haven't done enough to show on my personal statement that I'm passionate about the subject.
Last edited by 03catrin; 1 week ago
MEM928
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My son is reading physics and mathematics at present. Throughout his secondary school he took part in the United Kingdon Mathematical Trust Challenges each year. You could also try membership of the Royal Institution, TED talks, 50 symbols on YouTube etc. There are many things you can do that show you enjoy the subject outside of the classroom.
03catrin
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by MEM928)
My son is reading physics and mathematics at present. Throughout his secondary school he took part in the United Kingdon Mathematical Trust Challenges each year. You could also try membership of the Royal Institution, TED talks, 50 symbols on YouTube etc. There are many things you can do that show you enjoy the subject outside of the classroom.
Thanks for these ideas! I won a gold certificate in a UKMT challenge when I was in year 9, is this irrelevant because it's so long ago?
Loughborough University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 03catrin)
My application to an Oxford summer school has been rejected and they said that I needed more supercurricular stuff on my personal statement. I'm worried that I haven't done enough and that I'll be rejected again when I apply to uni this autumn.
I'm thinking of applying for the Mathematics and Sport Science course at Loughborough and NTU. Are these unis as strict about supercurriculars as Oxbridge? If so, can anyone recommend wider reading books for sport and maths? I have good predicted grades and I play sport for the national team so I've got quite a few extracurriculars but I'm worried that I haven't done enough to show on my personal statement that I'm passionate about the subject.
Hi 03catrin,

Is there a certain aspect of the courses you are looking at that appeals to you? If so focus on this and look at ways to develop this.

For example, I had a real interest in sports psychology when applying for university specifically around athletes recovering from injury. To address this I read a number of high profile athlete's autobiographies and made notes on certain points of interest and spoke about this in my personal statement. You don't have to take drastic action and do something for the sake of it as unless you are interested in it you won't receive any added value from it.

If you have any further questions feel free to drop us a PM.
Best Wishes,
Emily
03catrin
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by Loughborough University)
Hi 03catrin,

Is there a certain aspect of the courses you are looking at that appeals to you? If so focus on this and look at ways to develop this.

For example, I had a real interest in sports psychology when applying for university specifically around athletes recovering from injury. To address this I read a number of high profile athlete's autobiographies and made notes on certain points of interest and spoke about this in my personal statement. You don't have to take drastic action and do something for the sake of it as unless you are interested in it you won't receive any added value from it.

If you have any further questions feel free to drop us a PM.
Best Wishes,
Emily
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (70)
18.82%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (76)
20.43%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (68)
18.28%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (78)
20.97%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (39)
10.48%
I haven't started researching yet (41)
11.02%

Watched Threads