Christine_1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’m terrified of doing my GCSE’S. times just flying by and I’m not prepared at all, it’s genuinely worrying me so much. I don’t want to fail. I don’t even know what I want to do or what I want to be. It’s stressful and my brain is going to explode. I’m in a high class but I feel so stupid and I don’t deserve to be in there. I have no idea how to revise and it’s scary as hell.

Ibby.Butler
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
First of all I completely understand I started worrying about GSCE’s before I even got into my secondary school! Telling you not to stress isn’t very helpful and so I won’t do that rather I suggest that you find out how to deal with your stress and feelings of being overwhelmed than trying to ignore it. What worked for me is to make a plan of all the revision I want to do and being kind to myself with how much I can do. You are in year 10 so you have a year before you have to sit them so I would advise as would most people who have done GSCE’s that you start off with a little bit just to ease yourself and to reassure yourself that you are doing something and so subsequently help to ease some of that stress! For the revision timetable if you want to be really extreme and do what I did write out all the different modules that you have done so far in your subjects and grade each on how confident you are and how well you know the content. You could either do red ( don’t know at all) yellow ( I know it but aren’t confident in recalling it) and green( I am confident in this material) or you could do a 1-10 grading system whatever you prefer! Then start with the content you are at least confident with and work you way up. I would recommend at most that you focus on doing one-two hours a day with the weekend off at most. Scheduling in a couple subjects and focusing on one area of revision for 45 mins and then changing. I would start out by making notes as you have given yourself a lot of time do so and then perhaps after you have written all your notes for the past year transferring them into mind maps or doing some practise questions. If you don’t want to do work and if you know it will make you more stressed then don’t, you have plenty of time to work towards your GSCE’s although I would if you could start making some notes as it does really help. If you don’t want to do the revision than just try and be kind to yourself and remember everyone in the country has to take them and many more people will feel like you whether they admit or not! Try putting things into perspective and remembering at the moment that GSCE’s are stressful enough as it is combined with the added pressure of our current environment! Hope this helps, reply if you want anymore advice or help with one particular subject
Christine_1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Ibby.Butler)
First of all I completely understand I started worrying about GSCE’s before I even got into my secondary school! Telling you not to stress isn’t very helpful and so I won’t do that rather I suggest that you find out how to deal with your stress and feelings of being overwhelmed than trying to ignore it. What worked for me is to make a plan of all the revision I want to do and being kind to myself with how much I can do. You are in year 10 so you have a year before you have to sit them so I would advise as would most people who have done GSCE’s that you start off with a little bit just to ease yourself and to reassure yourself that you are doing something and so subsequently help to ease some of that stress! For the revision timetable if you want to be really extreme and do what I did write out all the different modules that you have done so far in your subjects and grade each on how confident you are and how well you know the content. You could either do red ( don’t know at all) yellow ( I know it but aren’t confident in recalling it) and green( I am confident in this material) or you could do a 1-10 grading system whatever you prefer! Then start with the content you are at least confident with and work you way up. I would recommend at most that you focus on doing one-two hours a day with the weekend off at most. Scheduling in a couple subjects and focusing on one area of revision for 45 mins and then changing. I would start out by making notes as you have given yourself a lot of time do so and then perhaps after you have written all your notes for the past year transferring them into mind maps or doing some practise questions. If you don’t want to do work and if you know it will make you more stressed then don’t, you have plenty of time to work towards your GSCE’s although I would if you could start making some notes as it does really help. If you don’t want to do the revision than just try and be kind to yourself and remember everyone in the country has to take them and many more people will feel like you whether they admit or not! Try putting things into perspective and remembering at the moment that GSCE’s are stressful enough as it is combined with the added pressure of our current environment! Hope this helps, reply if you want anymore advice or help with one particular subject
Thank you for that!
It’s more of the fact, i just don’t know to revise. Mindmaps? Flash cards? Everything is just confusing. All my friends are incredibly smart I just feel dumb. I started out in set 4 for 3 years and i moved up to set 1, 2 and 3 even then everything just seems hard. And I just want to succeed and truthfully I, just scared I don’t want to mess this up
Ibby.Butler
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Check out YouTube for more advice on different ways to revise and how studytubers who get A’s and B’s do. I’m pretty visual so I tend to use a mixture but mainly go for mind maps as I can see everything in front of me. I like colour co-ordinating everything so all economic factors would be under one colour and all environmental under another. I watched unjaded jade’s video on revision and revision cards and she uses symbols to represent words which keeps her brain engaged throughout the revision . I would suggest that you find out what type of learner you are and then create revision techniques around that, if that doesn’t help then just try a mix of everything. Perhaps if you have regular tests in a certain subject you can try revision cards one week and mind maps the next. Practise papers work for everyone and they make the most amount of difference in terms of grade improvement so those are something you can do regardless but just make sure as your in year 10 that you are only doing sections of the paper that you have studied otherwise it can be pretty demoralising. I doubt you will mess them up as you have already shown that you don’t want to by coming on here rather than just expecting you will and not trying. GSCE’s on the whole are not the most difficult to master you just need a good revision guide, a textbook and a few past papers. With those three tools your placing yourself in a very good position if you utilise them. To give you an example of how much they can help you for my mocks in English langauge I didn’t revise and ended up with a 4 which isn’t good considering I was planning on carrying it on but after using a revision guide I had been given and practise papers I ended up getting a 9. I’m not suggesting your friends are doing this but my friends often exaggerated to peers how much work they would doing and would only reveal how little they had done to their friends! Believe in yourself and remember you are not alone I can assure you loads of people are feeling and have felt the same way!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (58)
19.21%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (64)
21.19%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (58)
19.21%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (64)
21.19%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (29)
9.6%
I haven't started researching yet (29)
9.6%

Watched Threads