The Student Room Group

List of universities to avoid if you're black/non-white?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lizigw
Exeter has a bad history as well, as some Ibz Mo subscribers will have already known. Their Bracton Law society had a scandal in 2018 and the stuff said in their groupchats were vile.

I mean - didn't Ibz Mo make unfounded accusations of racism based on virtually nothing, (iirc he made the conclusion lack of diversity -> somehow racist?) then when actual real events happened he rode the bandwagon and claimed that he somehow predicted it.

Always found his attitude immensely irritating and that video didn't help. Extremely full of himself.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
If you want to subject yourself to racist abuse willingly for the sake of helping posterity, then sure.

1. You may not experience racism there.
2. You may end up experiencing racism wherever you end up.
If you want to subject yourself to racist abuse willingly for the sake of helping posterity, then sure.

Do all students at these universities get subjected to racism then? There is a risk anywhere, it's not as if this is definitively choosing whether you want to be racially abused or not.
Original post by Lightning720
1. You may not experience racism there.
2. You may end up experiencing racism wherever you end up.
That's such a bad argument, honestly. You could say that about anything.

No, it's not a bad argument. It's a simple argument for a stupid suggestion.

That's the point isn't it? They're saying don't worry about this when choosing a uni.
Original post by nexttime
That's the point isn't it? They're saying don't worry about this when choosing a uni.
I said it makes sense for BAME students to avoid Durham on the basis that they have a high number of BAME students experiencing racism. They are saying students should attend anyway because there's a chance they may not be subjected to racist abuse or that they will experience racism wherever else they end up anyway. <== Please explain to me how this argument isn't stupid? By avoiding Durham (and Exeter, Newcastle etc) and choosing a university with a lot fewer number of racist incidents, you minimise your risk of being subjected to racist abuse.

Some of the stupid suggestions on this page:

1. Subject yourself to racist abuse, it will pave the way for future generations
2. Take the risk. There's a chance you may not even experience racism.
3. Take the risk. You may experience racism elsewhere anyway.
I said it makes sense for BAME students to avoid Durham on the basis that they have a high number of BAME students experiencing racism. They are saying students should attend anyway because there's a chance they may not be subjected to racist abuse or that they will experience racism wherever else they end up anyway. <== Please explain to me how this argument isn't stupid? By avoiding Durham (and Exeter, Newcastle etc) and choosing a university with a lot fewer number of racist incidents, you minimise your risk of being subjected to racist abuse.

Some of the stupid suggestions on this page:

1. Subject yourself to racist abuse, it will pave the way for future generations
2. Take the risk. There's a chance you may not even experience racism.
3. Take the risk. You may experience racism elsewhere anyway.

Basically live your life in fear and avoid white people whilst letting them indirectly dictate your life. Best way to minimise exposure to any racism originating from white people.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by TigerRoll
Basically live your life in fear and avoid white people.

Or you could try and muster a more earnest argument instead of intentionally misconstruing what I wrote?
Or you could try and muster a more earnest argument instead of intentionally misconstruing what I wrote?

For someone with two degrees you don't come off as particularly sharp.

Surely it's quite simple. You laugh at the idea that somebody could attend a predominantly white university and not experience racism. Hence why you are advising BAME students to avoid this university and other universities like it, and go somewhere where they are least likely to experience racism. Considering this is a predominantly white country (and only white people who can be racist of course) surely the best way to minimise experiencing racism and calm oneself of the fear should be to avoid all white people? I mean you're posting such sound advice whilst using the anon function. You must be very scared.

Here's some advice OP. Live your life for yourself.
(edited 3 years ago)
Racist people exist everywhere, racism happens everywhere. But I do understand where people choose to only apply to unis who seem to have less of it. It’s not that they’re trying to avoid racism altogether, they just don’t want to place themselves somewhere where it seems much more common.
Listen, everyone’s different, some may be up to the “challenge” and some might not. It’s not anyone’s place to judge.
As a black female applying this year for 2021 entry, ive made the decision to avoid Durham because of their issues with racism. Aside from that, I already wasn’t a massive fan of the uni itself so it wasn’t a heartbreaking decision, but it’s a decision I made as the person who’s a target of racism to avoid it. Other black people may not - we all don’t represent each other! Anyway my point is, Black students can decide whether or not “how racist” a uni is impacts whether they decide to go/apply. Yes it’s sad that some may have the academic potential to thrive in places like Durham and decide not to apply but that’s not the fault of the applicant for “living in fear” and “avoiding white people” (i doubt many black people want to avoid white people lol), it’s the fault of the university as an institution, it’s the fault of society and the racism imbedded in it.
There are pages on the internet dedicated racist incidents at university of St Andrews (there's a thread currently in their subforum). There have also been a lot of racist incidents at Newcastle university -- Chinese students spat at , videos of black students getting racially abused by groups of white students in the halls, students shouting "I hate n*****s" at Fresher's parties etc.

Newcastle
Northumbia
Cardiff
St Andrews

From what I know these have really bad reputation when it comes to racism. Also obscure ones like Bedfordshire and Liverpool John Moores are terrible too.

What do you think? Any additions or experience to share?

I think if you knew about a few well known incidents at Newcastle you would find that it was Northumbria and not Newcastle. Sadly there may be problems at many unis - none are exempt but hopefully the unis deal with it when they hear of issues.
Surely it's quite simple. You laugh at the idea that somebody could attend a predominantly white university and not experience racism. Hence why you are advising BAME students to avoid this university and other universities like it, and go somewhere where they are least likely to experience racism. Considering this is a predominantly white country (and only white people who can be racist of course) surely the best way to minimise experiencing racism and calm oneself of the fear should be to avoid all white people?

Again, you're misconstruing what has been said. I'm sure there are some predominantly white universities with no high number of racist incidents. I'm saying it makes sense why people would avoid universities like Durham and Exeter who happen to have a known racism problem. This whole avoiding white people and fear characterisations are not from me, but are more likely to be stemming from your own appeasement issues. Sort that out.

I mean you're posting such sound advice whilst using the anon function. You must be very scared.
You seem to be very annoyed at the fact that I'm using the anon function. It's amusing!
Again, you're misconstruing what has been said. I'm sure there are some predominantly white universities with no high number of racist incidents. I'm saying it makes sense why people would avoid universities like Durham and Exeter who happen to have a known racism problem. This whole avoiding white people and fear characterisations are not from me, but are more likely to be stemming from your own appeasement issues. Sort that out.

You seem to be very annoyed at the fact that I'm using the anon function. It's amusing!

But surely it would be the best way to minimise exposure to potential racism, since apparently the argument that somebody could attend these universities and not experience racism is ridiculous? I'm not trying to appease anyone, I'm not the one allowing racists to influence my life choices without them having to lift a finger lol.

What is your reasoning for using anon? Are you ashamed of what you are saying?
I disagree. In light of what's been coming out of Durham for the past two months for example, I would say it makes a lot of sense to avoid going there. The Tab found 25+ black/minority current students who have experienced racism at the university (horrific reading) -- and there aren't a lot of BAME students at Durham anyway. So it 100% makes sense to avoid Durham.

Is it this article?

https://thetab.com/uk/durham/2020/06/08/students-play-drinking-games-with-the-n-word-black-students-on-racism-at-durham-2-48420

Whilst I sympathise with people who must feel very self-conscious, if that list is the absolute worst they can find I am very impressed with how mild it all is. This "horrific reading" includes such racist things as people not agreeing that Ariana Grande is trying to look black, a girl saying she doesn't feel safe walking home alone late at night, being hit on in clubs by guys who like black girls, and being mistaken for another black girl at matriculation (i.e. probably first week of uni). They fail to identify any instances of racist insults by students, or any threats of violence at all.

There is also some more significant stuff which is clearly not on, including racist abuse by people in cars a couple times, but like I say, if this is the absolute worst they can find even when the people they ask are free to exaggerate, I am actually quite impressed. I expected at least one student to come out with some racial slur!
But surely it would be the best way to minimise exposure to potential racism, since apparently the argument that somebody could attend these universities and not experience racism is ridiculous? I'm not trying to appease anyone, I'm not the one allowing racists to influence my life choices without them having to lift a finger lol.

What is your reasoning for using anon? Are you ashamed of what you are saying?

Curious to know whether you’re black or not? What uni did you go to/are at? It’ll help me and maybe others reason with your view (which I don’t 100% disagree with by the way, I disagree more with the fact that you seem to look down upon and judge people that consider racism in their decision making when they’re not really the people you should be judging).
Original post by justjas33
Curious to know whether you’re black or not? What uni did you go to/are at? It’ll help me and maybe others reason with your view (which I don’t 100% disagree with by the way, I disagree more with the fact that you seem to look down upon and judge people that consider racism in their decision making when they’re not really the people you should be judging).

I am black. My first university was in London, my second one in the Midlands. Racists exist everywhere and I don't intend to let them dictate what I do with my life. I read the Tab article. What I read was disgusting. However, if Durham had something that appealed to me/ would benefit my future, I still wouldn't write off studying there. People can do what they want, but I disagree that OP seems to not think that people can attend a university such as Durham and not experience racism as a good argument to keep it an option
But surely it would be the best way to minimise exposure to potential racism, since apparently the argument that somebody could attend these universities and not experience racism is ridiculous? I'm not trying to appease anyone.You're arguing against yourself here. When you say the "best way", that's in reference to avoiding predominantly white universities. You made that argument. Mine was that it makes sense to avoid universities with known racism problems. You're honestly out of your depth here.
I am black. My first university was in London, my second one in the Midlands. Racists exist everywhere and I don't intend to let them dictate what I do with my life. I read the Tab article. What I read was disgusting. However, if Durham had something that appealed to me/ would benefit my future, I still wouldn't write off studying there. People can do what they want, but I disagree that OP seems to not think that people can attend a university such as Durham and not experience racism as a good argument to keep it an option

Ah ok. Don’t you think that maybe you inwardly did what most black students do? There’s a number of reasons for it, but we tend to stay in urban places/cities for university. Statistically we stick to where we’re comfortable (and there’s reasons for why we’re most comfortable in those places but I won’t get into that) and isn’t that what those black students who choose to avoid universities that are blatantly more racist than the “average” are doing?
Go you for the fact that you would’ve gone to Durham regardless if that’s where you really wanted to go! I’m in the same position with St Andrews - most people would scream “no” at me but I’m applying this year because it seems like the great uni for me and it’s perfect for my course. But believe me I more than understand that most people would wanna just stick to where they can walk down a street and see 15, 20, 30 people who look like them because, let’s be real, those places (London, Birmingham) are where you’re less likely to be targeted compared to County Durham and Edinburgh, and the vast majority of people don’t want to live and be educated somewhere where it’s more likely they’ll be targeted. OP’s opinion is extreme in that all black people should not attend those universities full stop....but it stems from fact unfortunately
Original post by justjas33
Ah ok. Don’t you think that maybe you inwardly did what most black students do? There’s a number of reasons for it, but we tend to stay in urban places/cities for university. Statistically we stick to where we’re comfortable (and there’s reasons for why we’re most comfortable in those places but I won’t get into that) and isn’t that what those black students who choose to avoid universities that are blatantly more racist than the “average” are doing?
Go you for the fact that you would’ve gone to Durham regardless if that’s where you really wanted to go! I’m in the same position with St Andrews - most people would scream “no” at me but I’m applying this year because it seems like the great uni for me and it’s perfect for my course. But believe me I more than understand that most people would wanna just stick to where they can walk down a street and see 15, 20, 30 people who look like them because, let’s be real, those places (London, Birmingham) are where you’re less likely to be targeted compared to County Durham and Edinburgh, and the vast majority of people don’t want to live and be educated somewhere where it’s more likely they’ll be targeted. OP’s opinion is extreme in that all black people should not attend those universities full stop....but it stems from fact unfortunately

Apply to where you like. That's what i would say. Whether it's Durham or St Andrews, apply to where you see yourself to be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending