List of universities to avoid if you're black/non-white?

Watch
TigerRoll
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by justjas33)
Ah ok. Don’t you think that maybe you inwardly did what most black students do? There’s a number of reasons for it, but we tend to stay in urban places/cities for university. Statistically we stick to where we’re comfortable (and there’s reasons for why we’re most comfortable in those places but I won’t get into that) and isn’t that what those black students who choose to avoid universities that are blatantly more racist than the “average” are doing?
Go you for the fact that you would’ve gone to Durham regardless if that’s where you really wanted to go! I’m in the same position with St Andrews - most people would scream “no” at me but I’m applying this year because it seems like the great uni for me and it’s perfect for my course. But believe me I more than understand that most people would wanna just stick to where they can walk down a street and see 15, 20, 30 people who look like them because, let’s be real, those places (London, Birmingham) are where you’re less likely to be targeted compared to County Durham and Edinburgh, and the vast majority of people don’t want to live and be educated somewhere where it’s more likely they’ll be targeted. OP’s opinion is extreme in that all black people should not attend those universities full stop....but it stems from fact unfortunately
Not really. If you mean studying in London, racism or ethnic majority was never on the spectrum when deciding to study at that university, I liked the course. Most of my friends, people on my course, and societies I joined were white or Asian (I also grew up going to predominantly white schools). Same for my second university (though that was more out of my hands). A person's skin colour makes no difference to me - I don't feel 'more comfortable' with black people over white people, I want to move to the countryside because city life is **** and I want peace and quiet. Maybe I'm an outlier, and not 'black' enough in the eyes of people like OP (I've had that kind of trash before). As I mentioned earlier in the thread, most of the uncomfortableness I've felt about my skin colour has actually come from black people.

I respect the way you've phrased you argument and agree with you. I can see why people would maybe prefer to be with more people they are comfortable with, and what happened at Durham was disgusting. But ultimately I don't think as a black person I (or anybody else) should expect to experience racism and thus make life decisions based on avoiding it. It's a very depressing way to live and despite the UK not being perfect at all when it comes to racism, I think it is less warranted here than in other places in the world. Though people are free to live like that if they want, including OP.
Last edited by TigerRoll; 2 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by TigerRoll)
Maybe I'm an outlier, and not 'black' enough in the eyes of people like OP (I've had that kind of trash before).
I've never said you weren't black enough. Goodness me, get it together. :facepalm:
TigerRoll
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I've never said you weren't black enough. Goodness me, get it together. :facepalm:
I never said you did :rolleyes:
MythologyFanatic
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Exeter - oh, the amount of people who have shared their experiences at Exeter...honestly, your safest bet would be at places that are more diverse. London universities are good because there is a higher BAME percentage.
MajorFader
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Exeter!

https://youtu.be/WF0ljGCqID8 - this video depicts the realities...
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
Inless people are so insecure they darent go to a university because of peoples ethnicity, then I suggest you try and get into the best uni possible. Unis are such big places its utterly ridiculous to characterise them as being entirely racist or places to avoid. You are always going to get a few undesireables out of 20.000- 40,000 people and that goes for international students as well.

Your lives, but pretty crazy if you choose to stick to unis merely because they have a high BAME population.
justjas33
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Not really. If you mean studying in London, racism or ethnic majority was never on the spectrum when deciding to study at that university, I liked the course. Most of my friends, people on my course, and societies I joined were white or Asian (I also grew up going to predominantly white schools). Same for my second university (though that was more out of my hands). A person's skin colour makes no difference to me - I don't feel 'more comfortable' with black people over white people, I want to move to the countryside because city life is **** and I want peace and quiet. Maybe I'm an outlier, and not 'black' enough in the eyes of people like OP (I've had that kind of trash before). As I mentioned earlier in the thread, most of the uncomfortableness I've felt about my skin colour has actually come from black people.

I respect the way you've phrased you argument and agree with you. I can see why people would maybe prefer to be with more people they are comfortable with, and what happened at Durham was disgusting. But ultimately I don't think as a black person I (or anybody else) should expect to experience racism and thus make life decisions based on avoiding it. It's a very depressing way to live and despite the UK not being perfect at all when it comes to racism, I think it is less warranted here than in other places in the world. Though people are free to live like that if they want, including OP.
Ah ok, fair enough! I’m the same in that I don’t feel “more comfortable” with black people over white people, and I’ve always much preferred a countryside life to the city life (hence St Andrews)
Crazy enough, I’ve also been called not “black enough” by people.
It’s interesting that I relate to the majority of what you’ve said....I didn’t see what you said earlier in the thread but I agree with that also, I was made to feel singled out and judged by other black students because I’m not stereotypically black personality wise. Led to a bit of an identity crisis that one.

Thank you, I’m glad I’ve come across how I wanted to.
I agree, it’s such a shame that it’s even something to discuss to be honest. some people are happier to make their decision that way, not to put themselves at greater risk, especially as moving to uni is a big enough life change in itself.
Other places in the world, most would agree that the US is worse than us when it comes to racism overall. I know it’s not that straight cut but overall, they are imo. I don’t know much about US unis but it’ll be interesting to know much black students there consider racism when applying.
Anonymous #1
I never said you did :rolleyes:
What were you referring to then?
Mustafa0605
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Unis have tens of thousands of students including thousands of foreign students . I would think that big City unis are more diverse such as in Cardiff or Liverpool. But if you’re not mixing with the wrong people then you shouldn’t have a bad experience.
TigerRoll
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Ah ok, fair enough! I’m the same in that I don’t feel “more comfortable” with black people over white people, and I’ve always much preferred a countryside life to the city life (hence St Andrews)
Crazy enough, I’ve also been called not “black enough” by people.
It’s interesting that I relate to the majority of what you’ve said....I didn’t see what you said earlier in the thread but I agree with that also, I was made to feel singled out and judged by other black students because I’m not stereotypically black personality wise. Led to a bit of an identity crisis that one.

Thank you, I’m glad I’ve come across how I wanted to.
I agree, it’s such a shame that it’s even something to discuss to be honest. some people are happier to make their decision that way, not to put themselves at greater risk, especially as moving to uni is a big enough life change in itself.
Other places in the world, most would agree that the US is worse than us when it comes to racism overall. I know it’s not that straight cut but overall, they are imo. I don’t know much about US unis but it’ll be interesting to know much black students there consider racism when applying.
Yep exactly that. I've been made uncomfortable because of my family (who aren't all black), because of the way I look, the way I act (or don't act), and the way I chose to not view white people as a different species/as racists, and would and have dated white people (that one there caused a lot of strife). Gave me an identity crisis too (which has been resolved by stopping associating with people with think like that). Not once has a white person (or person from any othe race) made me feel like that or question who I am, and this isn't me appeasing to them or whatever, it's just my experience.

Oh it's definitely different. There are universities there which are predominantly black and founded on them initially just being for African Americans. The USA is a different world in many respects. I am eternally grateful that my parents chose to move to and bring me up in the UK than in the USA.
Last edited by TigerRoll; 2 weeks ago
MythologyFanatic
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Just choose the university you want to go to. If you encounter racists, I would hope your university would be able to protect you and punish the racist students. However, there are so many instances where the university won't help unless it becomes a public issue. Therefore, social media is your friend in that instance.
Otherwise, I don't know, racism is something that most BAME students will fear. People are going to discriminate, even if that is just an unconscious racial bias.
Just keep working hard and do what you want - don't give people who treat you badly the time of day.
StarLinyx
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
This is a stupid thread, and one which could lead to universities taking legal action over potential reputational damage with regards to racism.
Jesscruzx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by TheStarboy)
I’m not exactly a fan of ‘cancelling’ unis. Every uni has it’s bad crop of students. Even my uni Warwick does but I wouldn’t let it stop me from going there
Is ur uni racist ?
TheStarboy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Jesscruzx)
Is ur uni racist ?
It's not racist but it does have it's share of incidents. The SU is great at fighting back and making a fairer place for the students though.
Anonymous #7
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by StarLinyx)
This is a stupid thread, and one which could lead to universities taking legal action over potential reputational damage with regards to racism.
Please, give me one instance when major universities gave a damn about a TSR thread. I am genuinely interested in how that would even work.
Anonymous #1
justjas33 I appreciate your insightful posts in this thread. I should I say, I'm not saying that BAME students should not attend those institutions. Maybe the title of the thread comes across as unnecessarily provocative, but in this discussion what I've been arguing is that it makes sense to me why someone may want to avoid a university with known racism problem, like you did with Durham.
justjas33
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
justjas33 I appreciate your insightful posts in this thread. I should I say, I'm not saying that BAME students should not attend those institutions. Maybe the title of the thread comes across as unnecessarily provocative, but in this discussion what I've been arguing is that it makes sense to me why someone may want to avoid a university with known racism problem, like you did with Durham.
If that’s what you meant then of course that’s fair enough and I don’t disagree! I do think posts like these actively go towards discouraging BAME students even further though, the title - as you said - is unnecessary provocative and so would probably work towards keeping students away from those unis because they feel like they can’t go.
If someone does their own research (actual research as opposed to delving into TSR as people tend to exaggerate and scaremonger on here!) into a university and discovers that particular uni seems to have a reoccurring issue with major racist incidents and so as a result they choose not to attend - like me with Durham - then that’s okay. But if Durham was my dream university and I chose to apply regardless that’s okay too.
justjas33
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yep exactly that. I've been made uncomfortable because of my family (who aren't all black), because of the way I look, the way I act (or don't act), and the way I chose to not view white people as a different species/as racists, and would and have dated white people (that one there caused a lot of strife). Gave me an identity crisis too (which has been resolved by stopping associating with people with think like that). Not once has a white person (or person from any othe race) made me feel like that or question who I am, and this isn't me appeasing to them or whatever, it's just my experience.

Oh it's definitely different. There are universities there which are predominantly black and founded on them initially just being for African Americans. The USA is a different world in many respects. I am eternally grateful that my parents chose to move to and bring me up in the UK than in the USA.
I 100% get you. May have to take that as some advice! It’s not appeasing to them like you said but it’s definitely so interesting, especially as I thought I was alone in constantly thinking that haha.

Wow yeah that’s definitely different. But I suppose that’s to be expected with America. I definitely don’t blame you, I would 100% feel the same. I just can’t imagine myself comfortably living there, especially now. It’s absolutely crazy that I can confidently say that there’s a higher chance that you wouldn’t be around rn if you were still in the US compared to you being here now in the UK.
That_Guy_Omzz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Black student here, and I've firmed St. Andrews and insured Durham for September because they're great universities - despite receiving offers from KCL, Warwick and Manchester. Wish me the best of luck - I hope I don't regret my decision!
justjas33
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by That_Guy_Omzz)
Black student here, and I've firmed St. Andrews and insured Durham for September because they're great universities - despite receiving offers from KCL, Warwick and Manchester. Wish me the best of luck - I hope I don't regret my decision!
Wow congrats! I’m applying to St Andrews this year so I might see you next year😅Curious to know if you managed to pay it a visit?
I’m sure you’ll be fine, TSR can be quite scaremongering. If it helps I emailed St Andrews admissions a while back about racism and diversity and their reply was much better than I anticipated, they seemed to be actively motivated to make changes which is always nice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (56)
9.03%
Confident (81)
13.06%
Indifferent (89)
14.35%
Unsure (159)
25.65%
Worried (235)
37.9%

Watched Threads

Latest