The Student Room Group

At university

Hello, just a quick question: What is your usual timetable at university? Like do you start your lesson at 9:00 am and finish at 6:00 pm. Can someone tell me more about it?

Thank you :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Kubsyy
Hello, just a quick question: What is your usual timetable at university? Like do you start your lesson at 9:00 am and finish at 6:00 pm. Can someone tell me more about it?

Hi @Kubsyy,

I'm in my second year at UEA and in my experience, it depends on the modules, course, and what year! So because my course isn't that practical, I usually have between 6 to 8 hours of 'contact' each week so normally 3 lectures and 2 seminars. But that was much less in first year! They can range any time, but most are at a decent time so 11 or 1 and sometimes I have ones back to back. But I've never had more than 4/5 hours of teaching in a day before, but most medics would disagree with that! I do a lot more reading which makes up for my less teaching, so I probably do around 10 hours a week of reading/coursework in my own time.

Any other questions, feel free to ask!

Becca
Original post by Kubsyy

That depends on your subject. If you take a science or engineering topic then expect to have daily lectures in the morning - typically 2-3 one hour lectures. Every afternoon you will have labs - 3 hours of laboratory work every day except Wednesdays (sporting sessions run on Wednesday afternoons).

If you take a social science subject e.g. English, Geography etc then expect 2-3 one hour lectures every day and then you will have the rest of the day free for private study. A 10-credit unit at uni (you have to cover 120 credits each year) equates to about 26 hours of lectures/seminars and 74 hours of private study. Its a lot harder if you take a social science degree since you need to be self-motivated - don't expect a teacher to be telling you to go to the library and study. If you don't study, no one will chase you. You will simply fail the exams at the end of the semester and be asked to leave the course.
@University of East Anglia UG Student Rep and @mike23mike

Thanks for the detailed answers. I will be going in Computer science route (If my teachers actually teach and everything goes as planned).

And about meeting new people, what are the ways to meet new people? Cause it would be really good if there were clubs with people that do the same course as me.
Original post by Kubsyy

Thanks for the detailed answers. I will be going in Computer science route (If my teachers actually teach and everything goes as planned).

And about meeting new people, what are the ways to meet new people? Cause it would be really good if there were clubs with people that do the same course as me.

Depends on the University really! I know my uni have so many societies and clubs, you can have a look here: https://www.uea.su/opportunities/societies/ ! Theres video gaming societies to ones based around your home location. There are always ways to make friends, even just sitting next to people in your lectures or the people you get housed with :smile:

Becca
Original post by Kubsyy

Hi for computer science it will be structured like all science subjects - 2 or 3 lectures a day and then labs in the afternoon.

There are way more clubs than you can possibly join. If the club does not exist, ask the students union for funding to start your own club.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending