russel group VS non-russel group grades law

Watch
anon5252
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Is there a difference of grades between a russel group university and a non Russel group university for law? I heard that people at non-russel group universities get more support.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by anon5252)
Is there a difference of grades between a russel group university and a non Russel group university for law? I heard that people at non-russel group universities get more support.
That’s not necessarily true. You will never know how much or little support a uni department really provides until you are there and have a problem, because they all claim to offer good support.
You’re better off to pick a uni based on other factors such as do you have the right grades for it, do you like the choice of modules,do you like the city and feel of the uni, does the location suit you.
Johnny ~
Badges: 12
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by anon5252)
The data on percentages of Firsts and 2.1s awarded can be found here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6160930. Take a look at document 4.

The top RG unis give a fairly high % of Firsts, often much higher than some non-RGs, but this is probably because they have better students to begin with.

The type of degree classification awarded by a university depends on a huge number of factors, including:

The calibre of student
The difficulty of the course (which in turn can be assessed in various ways)
The type of assessment
The type of course offered (you're more likely to see lower average grades for contracts-related courses than law-as-a-social-science-type courses)
The criteria required to get a First (is it an average? a certain number of Firsts? etc)
University policy on how harsh marking should be
The individual examiners who happen to be marking a course
The timing of exams (this is particularly important in first year, where some unis have exams as early as April)
Good lecture and class teaching
Good out-of-hours support/responsiveness from tutors (this is different)
How many written/formally assessed essays are expected per term
Whether the university is willing to give out high 70s/80s regularly
(you get the idea)

Trying to infer anything from the grades awarded is pointless
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (572)
34.29%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (687)
41.19%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (334)
20.02%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.5%

Watched Threads