Lexie2020
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Does anyone know if there is an access course for vet nursing in Scotland?
Scojen95
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello, I completed a diploma for veterinary care assistants with city and guilds at a scottish college. It would allow me to go on and do vet nursing as a placement/college course, takes about 3 years. Unsure if it is accepted for the university degree though. I would get in touch with them and check.

Have since changed my mind and now looking to do vet med. There is an access to medicine course that's run at glasgow kelvin/clyde that can get me into vet med, I'm sure there would also be one for access to nursing.
Lexie2020
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi! Thanks for the reply!I have looked into the VCA course and plan to apply, because of covid I haven’t been able to get any work experience in a veterinary setting but I do work on a farm aswell. Which college did you complete the course at? I am planning to apply to SRUC. Did you enjoy the course? Good luck with the access course!
Wannabevetnurse
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lexie2020)
Hi! Thanks for the reply!I have looked into the VCA course and plan to apply, because of covid I haven’t been able to get any work experience in a veterinary setting but I do work on a farm aswell. Which college did you complete the course at? I am planning to apply to SRUC. Did you enjoy the course? Good luck with the access course!
SRUC is a good university for Vet Nursing..they have all the facilities. The building and campus is quite small but it makes your year more closer. I had an interview there so if you want help just PM me x
Scojen95
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, I imagine its tough to get the work experience just now! Anything animal based is better than nothing though, so defo worth trying kennels, shelters etc. I studied at north highland, way up in Thurso. Did look at SRUC but Thurso was closer for me. The course is good, more in depth than any of the ANA courses on offer, you learn about monitoring anaesthesia and cranial nerve reflexes, a lot of anatomy, dispensing, drip rates and drug calculations. Its a lot of case studies in a short time but they pretty much spoon feed you info for all of the tests etc. Really good starting point to get a taste of what vet nursing would be like! Thank you 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (420)
56.68%
I don't have everything I need (321)
43.32%

Watched Threads