Is it worth applying to UCL with bad GCSE's

Watch
kfjldjfldjs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I want to study English at UCL. However, my GCSE grades are bad bad bad. I have 2A's 1B 5C's and the rest I got lower than a C so they would be considered as failed. I am going to re sit my English language and Maths so it fits their requirements better. However, they also want a GCSE in MFL and I have a GCSE in my home language which I got an A in. I also have a MFL GCSE which I failed. So is it worth applying?
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by kfjldjfldjs)
I want to study English at UCL. However, my GCSE grades are bad bad bad. I have 2A's 1B 5C's and the rest I got lower than a C so they would be considered as failed. I am going to re sit my English language and Maths so it fits their requirements better. However, they also want a GCSE in MFL and I have a GCSE in my home language which I got an A in. I also have a MFL GCSE which I failed. So is it worth applying?
If its your dream university go for it. The university doesnt really care about GSCEs other than English Language where they require a B and Maths where a C is required. The foreign language issue isnt really a problem. If you dont have one it doesnt mean you get rejected. It just means you have to sit and pass a course before you go or during your time there.

English Literature (or combined Literature and Language) required.GCSEsEnglish Language at grade B or 6, plus Mathematics at grade C or 5.

For UK-based students, a grade C or 5 or equivalent in a foreign language (other than Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew or Latin) is required. UCL provides opportunities to meet the foreign language requirement following enrolment, further details at: www.ucl.ac.uk/ug-reqs.

My one concern is reading you are to resit your English GCSE. I would have some concern about anyone taking an English degree if they dont have at least grade B in English Language. From your comments about your home language and the fact you have B and Cs at GCSE I suspect you are a Welsh student. UCL doesnt accept Welsh as one of their modern foreign languages.

It might be worth considering other places as well as UCL. Exeter has a good reputation for English and humanities in general as does Durham. Bristol is worth considering and none of these have the foreign language restriction.

It might be helpful if you list what subjects your GCSEs are in and what grade you got in each.
Last edited by swanseajack1; 1 week ago
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
GCSEs are part of your accademic profile, so they will influence how unis view your application. You would need to fufil the English language and Maths requirements- but it's fine to apply with these as pending.

It sounds like you did GCSEs in your second language? Unis will take this into account, and so your reference should mention this, and (if relevant) when you joined the UK school system as well. The unis can then view your results in context and will make allowances.

I'm not sure if your GCSE in your home language would fulfil UCL's requirements, but it would be worth asking- if not, I believe all you have to do is take a language course during your first year at uni.

I think it's worth taking a shot at UCL- obviously you get 5 choices, so you can include 4 safer options as well.
kfjldjfldjs
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
If its your dream university go for it. The university doesnt really care about GSCEs other than English Language where they require a B and Maths where a C is required. The foreign language issue isnt really a problem. If you dont have one it doesnt mean you get rejected. It just means you have to sit and pass a course before you go or during your time there.

English Literature (or combined Literature and Language) required.GCSEsEnglish Language at grade B or 6, plus Mathematics at grade C or 5.

For UK-based students, a grade C or 5 or equivalent in a foreign language (other than Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew or Latin) is required. UCL provides opportunities to meet the foreign language requirement following enrolment, further details at: www.ucl.ac.uk/ug-reqs.

My one concern is reading you are to resit your English GCSE. I would have some concern about anyone taking an English degree if they dont have at least grade B in English Language. From your comments about your home language and the fact you have B and Cs at GCSE I suspect you are a Welsh student. UCL doesnt accept Welsh as one of their modern foreign languages.

It might be worth considering other places as well as UCL. Exeter has a good reputation for English and humanities in general as does Durham. Bristol is worth considering and none of these have the foreign language restriction.

It might be helpful if you list what subjects your GCSEs are in and what grade you got in each.
I am not welsh. I have a language GCSE in a different language. I got an A for my English literature. In context to my school speaking honestly I just did poorly because I was lazy. Didn't really care as much and wasn't in a good mental health state and so I just under performed. However, now I am very serious and I really really want to apply and get in. Do you still think its worth it?
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I am not welsh. I have a language GCSE in a different language. I got an A for my English literature. In context to my school speaking honestly I just did poorly because I was lazy. Didn't really care as much and wasn't in a good mental health state and so I just under performed. However, now I am very serious and I really really want to apply and get in. Do you still think its worth it?
It is worth applying if that is what you really want. Even if you get rejected you can still have 4 others to choose so you lose nothing by applying. The key issue is what grades did you get in English Language and to a lesser extent in Maths. These are the 2 they look at. It would be unusual for somewhere like UCL to accept someone with less than a B in English Language and that is my major concern. UCL require grade C in Maths as well. As long as you have both it isnt a problem. I know someone who got offers for Kings and Exeter a few years ago for History who didnt have a C in Maths so that is worthy of consideration.

As far as Welsh is concerned exams are still graded in letters unlike England which now grades in numbers which is what made me think you might have been Welsh. I think the MFL requirement at UCL is only for UK applicants so query this with them.

It might be helpful if you actually outline Each subject that you taken and the grade in each. If you prefer do it as a DM.
kfjldjfldjs
Rep:
?
It is worth applying if that is what you really want. Even if you get rejected you can still have 4 others to choose so you lose nothing by applying. The key issue is what grades did you get in English Language and to a lesser extent in Maths. These are the 2 they look at. It would be unusual for somewhere like UCL to accept someone with less than a B in English Language and that is my major concern. UCL require grade C in Maths as well. As long as you have both it isnt a problem. I know someone who got offers for Kings and Exeter a few years ago for History who didnt have a C in Maths so that is worthy of consideration.

As far as Welsh is concerned exams are still graded in letters unlike England which now grades in numbers which is what made me think you might have been Welsh. I think the MFL requirement at UCL is only for UK applicants so query this with them.

It might be helpful if you actually outline Each subject that you taken and the grade in each. If you prefer do it as a DM.
For English Language I got a 5, for maths I got a 4 and for literature I got a 7. I want to re take them so I can better fit their entries.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
For English Language I got a 5, for maths I got a 4 and for literature I got a 7. I want to re take them so I can better fit their entries.
Yes UCL want a 6 for language and a 5 in Maths. Most universities dont have a Maths requirement for humanities or just a grade 4. I certainly wouldnt resit lit and would query with UCL whether they will accept English Language and Maths resits.

What is it about UCL makes you want to go there.

Personally I would be looking at Exeter. You meet their requirements and probably York or Lancaster. You will have to check theirs and if you are looking at bigger cities maybe Birmingham and Manchester.

UCL is a difficult one and taking extra GCSEs with A levels isnt in anyway ideal. Maybe 1 subject but not 2 or 3. Knowing what I know now I think you would be better off elsewhere than applying to UCL and retaking 2 GCSEs on top of A levels which will be hard enough on their own.
kfjldjfldjs
Rep:
?
Yes UCL want a 6 for language and a 5 in Maths. Most universities dont have a Maths requirement for humanities or just a grade 4. I certainly wouldnt resit lit and would query with UCL whether they will accept English Language and Maths resits.

What is it about UCL makes you want to go there.

Personally I would be looking at Exeter. You meet their requirements and probably York or Lancaster. You will have to check theirs and if you are looking at bigger cities maybe Birmingham and Manchester.

UCL is a difficult one and taking extra GCSEs with A levels isnt in anyway ideal. Maybe 1 subject but not 2 or 3. Knowing what I know now I think you would be better off elsewhere than applying to UCL and retaking 2 GCSEs on top of A levels which will be hard enough on their own.
I like the location of the UCL. Also GCSE retakes for english and maths are usually in November. I don't know what month they will be this year. So your saying its not worth applying to?
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I like the location of the UCL. Also GCSE retakes for english and maths are usually in November. I don't know what month they will be this year. So your saying its not worth applying to?
If your taking them in November it might be worth a try. Normally you take the whole year and resit in May/June which would concern me adding extra to A levels which are difficult enough anyway.

Whether it is worth applying depends on whether UCL accepts the resits which you need to check and how much you want to go there. As I said previously it was 1 out of 5 so it can be a gamble worth taking if they accept resits and the exam is in November. Getting yourself decent back ups is vital as there is a strong possibility you could be rejected but if you dont try you certainly wont get in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (70)
18.82%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (76)
20.43%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (68)
18.28%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (78)
20.97%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (39)
10.48%
I haven't started researching yet (41)
11.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed