shumaira
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi could anyone help me with this question: Explain, if any, the difference in reactivity between the 3 carbon isotopes? Tip: ask yourself ‘do they all react with oxygen to produce carbon dioxide or only some?’. Give a reason for your answer.
Thank you
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by shumaira)
Hi could anyone help me with this question: Explain, if any, the difference in reactivity between the 3 carbon isotopes? Tip: ask yourself ‘do they all react with oxygen to produce carbon dioxide or only some?’. Give a reason for your answer.
Thank you
What has your research found out, so far?
shumaira
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Pigster)
What has your research found out, so far?
That there are three isotopes of carbon: Carbon-12, Carbon-13 and Carbon-14. Carbon 12 and 13 are stable but carbon 14 is unstable and can therefore decay and become radioactive. That doesn't really have much to do with the question though and I can't find anything relating to the 'tip'. Ive tried a few videos but it hasn't really helped so I figured I'd ask someone here and hopefully someone who has already started A level chemistry would know the answer or at least be able to help a little.
sdfsdfasda
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Isotopes of atoms should have the same reactivity as they have the same number of electrons, electrons are only involved in reactions. They only differ in the number of neutrons.
Last edited by sdfsdfasda; 1 year ago
gd99
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Last edited by gd99; 1 year ago
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by gd99)
I would think it has a lot to do with the question - when something is short-lived such as Carbon-14 then it has very little chance to react with other elements as it will decay into other elements. So you’re very unlikely to get 14-CO2. Can’t think of anything else at the moment, but there may be other things.
The average atom of C14 lasts about 5700 years before it decays.

I wouldn't exactly call that "short-lived". I suspect that 5700 years might be long enough for it to turn into CO2.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.23%
Uncertainty around my education (67)
11.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.5%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13.07%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (33)
5.75%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (30)
5.23%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (61)
10.63%
Financial worries (36)
6.27%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (23)
4.01%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
5.92%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.61%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (57)
9.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (47)
8.19%

Watched Threads