The Student Room Group

Products to get rid of dark spots on face-budget options? (im a broke UK student lol)

Pleaaaaaaaaaaase can anyone give recommendations on products that can help get rid of dark spots. It's so annoying how after i have a spot theres a dark spot left over and its been there for like months maybe even close to a year now and its so frustrating. i tried the ordinary's niacinimide serum and it had no effect whatsoever which really disappointed me given how many people say its the one. Sharing your skin care routine is also welcome. I would say i have quite oily to combination skin thats prone to spots if that info is of any help. Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Pleaaaaaaaaaaase can anyone give recommendations on products that can help get rid of dark spots. It's so annoying how after i have a spot theres a dark spot left over and its been there for like months maybe even close to a year now and its so frustrating. i tried the ordinary's niacinimide serum and it had no effect whatsoever which really disappointed me given how many people say its the one. Sharing your skin care routine is also welcome. I would say i have quite oily to combination skin thats prone to spots if that info is of any help. Thanks in advance :smile:

Hi, I would recommend natural treatments- they really help clear the skin and make it softer, brighter, glowy, and skin tone more even. You could use sliced tomatoes or potatoes and rub them gently on your face and wash off lightly with cool or tepid water. Then gently pat dry and put on a moisturiser- I love jajoba, almond or even avocado oil ( possibly even a mix). I usually use jajoba oil but for the past month I have been using almond oil since it can’t be shipped to me right now. A mix of orange powder, turmeric and oil (equal parts) makes a good scrub for your face- I use it every time I come out the shower. Just gently rub, leave to sit for a while and then wash off lightly so as not to wash off the oil from the scrub, again with tepid water. Pat dry and moisturise. Make sure you don’t use creams on your face that will clog your pores. The potato makes the colour of your face look more even by toning down darker areas and the scrub makes your face glowy, soft and moisturised. I can’t remember if I’m missing anything out ( my mum prepares and makes all this stuff for me) but I hope this helped and if you have any questions I’ll try and find out for you. Hope your skin improves the way you want it to. Best of luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by shumaira
Hi, I would recommend natural treatments- they really help clear the skin and make it softer, brighter, glowy, and skin tone more even. You could use sliced tomatoes or potatoes and rub them gently on your face and wash off lightly with cool or tepid water. Then gently pat dry and put on a moisturiser- I love jajoba, almond or even avocado oil ( possibly even a mix). I usually use jajoba oil but for the past month I have been using almond oil since it can’t be shipped to me right now. A mix of orange powder, turmeric and oil (equal parts) makes a good scrub for your face- I use it every time I come out the shower. Just gently rub, leave to sit for a while and then wash off lightly so as not to wash off the oil from the scrub, again with tepid water. Pat dry and moisturise. Make sure you don’t use creams on your face that will clog your pores. The potato makes the colour of your face look more even by toning down darker areas and the scrub makes your face glowy, soft and moisturised. I can’t remember if I’m missing anything out ( my mum prepares and makes all this stuff for me) but I hope this helped and if you have any questions I’ll try and find out for you. Hope your skin improves the way you want it to. Best of luck! :smile:

thanks for your detailed response :smile:
I'm also going through the same issue. I currently use a turmeric mask twice a week (consisting of turmeric powder, gram flour and milk).
You could also try coffee mask with coffee, honey and a tad bit of water.
Other than that drink loads of water & watch your diet. Avoid oily/too much dairy and sugar. Use light moisturisers and face washes dermalogica is really good for all skin types.
Reply 4
:adore:
Reply 5
Original post by beyhive1
I'm also going through the same issue. I currently use a turmeric mask twice a week (consisting of turmeric powder, gram flour and milk).
You could also try coffee mask with coffee, honey and a tad bit of water.
Other than that drink loads of water & watch your diet. Avoid oily/too much dairy and sugar. Use light moisturisers and face washes dermalogica is really good for all skin types.

thank you!
Original post by Anonymous

Hi there!

Niacinamide is an exceptionally great product for fighting sebum production and an overall congested looking skin surface with open pores, and it can have a good effect on reducing inflammatory acne. However, you have dark spots though which is slightly different - usually caused by scarring or sun exposure.

You may want to use the following products:

Alpha Arbutin: https://theordinary.deciem.com/product/rdn-alpha-arbutin-2pct-ha-30ml?redir=1

Alpha arbutin is frequently marketed as a safer alternative to hydroquinone (a popular skin-lightening ingredient that has been banned in Europe and Australia). It has similar results in brightening skin but without the dangerous bleaching process. Instead, it reduces skin’s pigment production by suppressing the enzymes that stimulate melanin. This also slows down the process by which UV light causes pigmentation, so it both prevents and treats pigmentation issues. If you experience post-blemish redness, age spots, or acne scars then alpha arbutin is very effective at treating these kinds of pigmentation. It also helps to even out skin tone and reduce overall redness.

Vitamin C: https://theordinary.deciem.com/product/rdn-vitamin-c-suspension-30pct-in-silicone-30ml?redir=1

The ordinary have a range of Vitamin C suspensions but this one is my personal favourite as it is easily absorbed by the skin! Vitamin C is great to add into your skincare regime to brighten the skin overall, and when coupled with Alpha Arbutin this is a game changer! Simply use it in the PM after serums and apply your night cream afterwards!

Sunscreen: https://skinsider.co.uk/product/purito-comfy-water-sun-block/?gclid=CjwKCAjw_-D3BRBIEiwAjVMy7LMJM-a9ByLTv7aViFikcnlWSOgFmSOB5q1d5AeOQivI4Di_m2ANVBoCmoUQAvD_BwE

Hopefully you are already using sunscreen in your skincare regime as this is the biggest cause of dark spots! Most people do not apply enough suncreen. You should be putting sunscreen along your index, middle and ring finger as a general guide on how much and this is the recommended amount to apply.

Awww thanks for the tag boo!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Fermion.
Hi there!

Niacinamide is an exceptionally great product for fighting sebum production and an overall congested looking skin surface with open pores, and it can have a good effect on reducing inflammatory acne. However, you have dark spots though which is slightly different - usually caused by scarring or sun exposure.

Alpha Arbutin: https://theordinary.deciem.com/product/rdn-alpha-arbutin-2pct-ha-30ml?redir=1

Alpha arbutin is frequently marketed as a safer alternative to hydroquinone (a popular skin-lightening ingredient that has been banned in Europe and Australia). It has similar results in brightening skin but without the dangerous bleaching process. Instead, it reduces skin’s pigment production by suppressing the enzymes that stimulate melanin. This also slows down the process by which UV light causes pigmentation, so it both prevents and treats pigmentation issues. If you experience post-blemish redness, age spots, or acne scars then alpha arbutin is very effective at treating these kinds of pigmentation. It also helps to even out skin tone and reduce overall redness.

Vitamin C: https://theordinary.deciem.com/product/rdn-vitamin-c-suspension-30pct-in-silicone-30ml?redir=1

The ordinary have a range of Vitamin C suspensions but this one is my personal favourite as it is easily absorbed by the skin! Vitamin C is great to add into your skincare regime to brighten the skin overall, and when coupled with Alpha Arbutin this is a game changer! Simply use it in the PM after serums and apply your night cream afterwards!

Sunscreen: https://skinsider.co.uk/product/purito-comfy-water-sun-block/?gclid=CjwKCAjw_-D3BRBIEiwAjVMy7LMJM-a9ByLTv7aViFikcnlWSOgFmSOB5q1d5AeOQivI4Di_m2ANVBoCmoUQAvD_BwE

Hopefully you are already using sunscreen in your skincare regime as this is the biggest cause of dark spots! Most people do not apply enough suncreen. You should be putting sunscreen along your index, middle and ring finger as a general guide on how much and this is the recommended amount to apply.

Thank you for the information ! I really needed !
Original post by Sarahp2000
Thank you for the information ! I really needed !

No problem, I think you were just using the wrong product (if you are OP) :hugs:
Reply 9
Hi there!

omg thank you so much for your detailed response i will defo check those out this is so helpful! :smile:
Hi there!

I have the same situation. This is helpful! Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending