Kogomogo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I'm basically looking to start a second undergraduate degree in 2021. Are there any good places to get help with a UCAS personal statement, like a bit more personal than generic internet advice like proofreading? I'm no longer in college so don't have access to a dedicated UCAS advisor through that route.

I would really like to go back to studying next year, but am feeling nervous about my chances of making a good application and getting in. Like how do i get across that my first degree (Biology) was basically useless for getting a related job and now I want to re-train in something with better job prospects (I am of course very interested and enthused about the subject i want to go for, but the career opportunities are a big factor in my decision to go back to uni too). Like will that just come across as a bad reason, like will they just think I'm lazy / not looking hard enough in my current field? Currently stuck in an unrelated entry level job with little scope of progressing upwards.

For the first time in years i actually feel excited and looking forward to my future when i think of doing this, and i just really don't want to mess it up.
Morg.an2
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
The university that you’re applying for should be able to help! I know when I visited mine on an open day they had a dedicated personal statement talk with students and lecturers who study in that area so that might be worth an email to your university ☺️
Kogomogo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Morg.an2)
The university that you’re applying for should be able to help! I know when I visited mine on an open day they had a dedicated personal statement talk with students and lecturers who study in that area so that might be worth an email to your university ☺️
Thank you, they're all virtual open days right now and the one for the uni i want was last weekend (I did attend but found it hard to ask over a live chat). I'm hoping for a proper open day later in the year but worried that may be too late to get advice. What sort of advice can you ask for over an email? I'm not really sure how to ask or what to ask for in that way as weird as it sounds. I don't want to just ask for generic advice that can be found online if you know what i mean.
Morg.an2
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I would email admissions and ask what they are doing to support personal statements throughout this time? And if they could put you in touch with anyone would be able to advise?
Kogomogo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Morg.an2)
I would email admissions and ask what they are doing to support personal statements throughout this time? And if they could put you in touch with anyone would be able to advise?
Thank you so much i will try that ☺
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (676)
33.65%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.61%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.21%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads