Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it's just me, but it seems like there's an awful lot of people posting exceptional results in the results thread. I find it a bit hard to believe that so many people genuinely have these results. I'm sure some are genuine but most of the posts i've read are full of A's and A*'s?
    Is it just me or do other people feel that a significant chunk of the posted results may be a load of crap?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe. But I don't really care tbh.

Maybe only smart people use TSR?

I shouldn't be here. *skulks away*

ReputationRep:
    I get the feeling alot of geeks frequent this board, and you know we take our education very very seriously

ReputationRep:
    Someone once said that about a third of the results on this website are inflated (which i couldn't believe but it may be true)

But generally speaking, the majority of people who use this site are academically minded and so you'd expect that most of the people here are high achievers

(Also, a lot of people who did well in exams will be inclined to post their results in the results thread whereas those who didn't do that well won't want to brag as much)

ReputationRep:
    In that case I REALLY shouldn't be here...

ReputationRep:
    Most smart people do tend to use the internet and go to forums, so they could all be true. I am the exception

ReputationRep:
    I originally thought that it was because the people who use the site are intelligent. But still, it's an awful lot of success compared to the figures. Anyway, thanks for your responses.

ReputationRep:
    I'm evidently 'very intelligent', with an American (strict) English teacher going as far as calling me a 'genius' and I genuinely don't get such amazing results as demonstrated on here.

But then again, I go to a below-average comprehensive...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gozatron)
    Most smart people do tend to use the internet and go to forums, so they could all be true. I am the exception

hehe. i think people on here would cringe inwardly if they saw my results!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I should try lying
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Modesty is a virtue. I would never post my results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GHOSH-5)
    i honestly think it cant be a third! at most one fifth tbh..
    I think i'd have to agree with Adhavan's post and the figure of a third.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by squid)
    Maybe I should try lying
    Are those SAT grades in your signature there ironically or have you seriously put them there? :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    This is TSR though. Think of the demographic it mainly attracts..academic school children and students. I wouldn't be surprised by the number of high grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Are those SAT grades in your signature there ironically or have you seriously put them there? :indiff:
    SATS are 'harder' than GCSE's :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Someone was complaining about people doing it, so I thought I should do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomgirl)
    This is TSR though. Think of the demographic it mainly attracts..academic school children and students. I wouldn't be surprised by the number of high grades.
    Yes but i have know enough successful students to know that they will try anything to hide what they consider to be a bad grade (E.G. predicted A and got a B, a B will get you into virtually all colleges).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoidburg)
    Maybe it's just me, but it seems like there's an awful lot of people posting exceptional results in the results thread. I find it a bit hard to believe that so many people genuinely have these results. I'm sure some are genuine but most of the posts i've read are full of A's and A*'s?
    Is it just me or do other people feel that a significant chunk of the posted results may be a load of crap?
    If you don't believe my results I'd be happy to scan my certificates. There are, inevitably people who say they got better than they did, don't worry about it. Why is it a problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jerking My Gerking)
    If you don't believe my results I'd be happy to scan my certificates. There are, inevitably people who say they got better than they did, don't worry about it. Why is it a problem?
    It's not a problem, i was just wondering if anyone else got the same impression. Personally i think it's pathetic if anyone lies about their results, after all, they're just trying to convince themselves they are better than they actually are.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.