The Student Room Group

What does this mean in my job contract?

So my contract is part-time, defined as 20 hours per week (That is the minimum for part-time). It says my annual basic salary is £10,050.

After speaking to my manager, I will probably be working more than 20 hours, around the 30 mark.

My question is, have they calculated by annual basic salary using 20 or 30 hours, what is usually done? I am not at all familiar with HR stuff. I assume because it is a 'basic' salary it would be done according to 'basic'/minimum hours? Not sure though, does anyone know?

Also I'm not sure what the hourly pay is, which is ofc why im having trouble lol. thank u
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
So my contract is part-time, defined as 20 hours per week (That is the minimum for part-time). It says my annual basic salary is £10,050.

After speaking to my manager, I will probably be working more than 20 hours, around the 30 mark.

My question is, have they calculated by annual basic salary using 20 or 30 hours, what is usually done? I am not at all familiar with HR stuff. I assume because it is a 'basic' salary it would be done according to 'basic'/minimum hours? Not sure though, does anyone know?

Also I'm not sure what the hourly pay is, which is ofc why im having trouble lol. thank u

It depends what your contract specifically says. Read the contract, word for word. That's it. Read the contract to see what it says. And of course, you can always ask your manager to see what he says.
Reply 2
Original post by have
It depends what your contract specifically says. Read the contract, word for word. That's it. Read the contract to see what it says. And of course, you can always ask your manager to see what he says.

Clearly, I have read the contract? I would not be here asking if I hadn’t tried to figure it out myself. I didn’t want to bother my manager tbh so due to it being a general question, I thought I’d just ask here first. That is all it says regarding working hours and pay. 20 hours minimum and annual basic salary of £10,050.. my question was, are annual basic salaries worked out according to minimum contracted hours.

Anyway, thank u for your absolutely irrelevant and unhelpful input. seems to be alot of these kinds of replies, very annoying.
Reply 3
Clearly, I have read the contract? I would not be here asking if I hadn’t tried to figure it out myself. I didn’t want to bother my manager tbh so due to it being a general question, I thought I’d just ask here first. That is all it says regarding working hours and pay. 20 hours minimum and annual basic salary of £10,050.. my question was, are annual basic salaries worked out according to minimum contracted hours.

Anyway, thank u for your absolutely irrelevant and unhelpful input. seems to be alot of these kinds of replies, very annoying.

How many pages is your contract? It's very abnormal for it to only say that? Basically, no one can answer your question, because it's not clear. Basic salary is your salary, without any bonuses/overtime pay that you might get. So it's possible that you'll get paid overtime for however much you work beyond the 20 hours, it could be that you're paid normal rate, pro rata, or it could be that you're salary is just £10,050 regardless of specifically how many hours you work for. I'd recommend, you go to your boss and get them to rewrite your contract so that it is explicitly written.
Does it mention any over time rate? If not I’d assume you get £10,500 whether you do your core 20 hours or more.
That is pretty standard for most jobs with a salary to not get overtime (not normally then at a low salary you’d do your hours and no more)
Reply 5
Original post by have
How many pages is your contract? It's very abnormal for it to only say that? Basically, no one can answer your question, because it's not clear. Basic salary is your salary, without any bonuses/overtime pay that you might get. So it's possible that you'll get paid overtime for however much you work beyond the 20 hours, it could be that you're paid normal rate, pro rata, or it could be that you're salary is just £10,050 regardless of specifically how many hours you work for. I'd recommend, you go to your boss and get them to rewrite your contract so that it is explicitly written.

12 pages long, but after the first page, it is just paragraphs about the role, code of conduct, ethics, etc. Right, time to email the manager then. Thanks anyway
The salary in the contract will match the hours. Anything extra will be overtime. A “discussion” is extra to the contract and likely going to be about ad hoc overtime
Reply 7
Original post by Catherine1973
Does it mention any over time rate? If not I’d assume you get £10,500 whether you do your core 20 hours or more.
That is pretty standard for most jobs with a salary to not get overtime (not normally then at a low salary you’d do your hours and no more)

Oh, urgh, that doesn't sound nice. I'll have to ask about it (the overtime) as it doesn't mention anything about it. thanks!
Reply 8
Original post by HackableYou
The salary in the contract will match the hours. Anything extra will be overtime. A “discussion” is extra to the contract and likely going to be about ad hoc overtime

ah this is what I thought it would be, makes the most sense imo. thank you :smile:

Basic salaries are calculated based off the number of hours specified on the contract. Any additional hours would then be paid at the standard hourly rate (unless another rate is specified for overtime) or taken as lieu time if you are compensated for them.

The hourly rate for a salaried contract is the amount received per year divided by the total number of hours contracted in the year

10050 / (20x52) = £9.66 p/h
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by IanDangerously
Basic salaries are calculated based off the number of hours specified on the contract. Any additional hours would then be paid at the standard hourly rate (unless another rate is specified for overtime) or taken as lieu time if you are compensated for them.

The hourly rate for a salaried contract is the amount received per year divided by the total number of hours contracted in the year

10050 / (20x52) = £9.66 p/h

Ahh thank you!!! Appreciate it!
Yes overtime could be worked out like that.
But also you may not get any overtime as you are salaried. I don’t as I just need to do the hours needed to do the job so if I work an extra few hours that’s not paid extra.
But there are rules about minimum wage so if you do so much extra work that your effective hourly wage goes below minimum that’s illegal.

It’s unlikely at your salary level to be expected to do extra hours for free but if it does not mention them paying you for doing extra in your contract then they don’t have to pay you. Some charity sector jobs may be like this.
How long have you been working there and what do payslips say? Have you done extra hours already?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending