thatcollegegirl
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hiya,
I'm in year 12 (in quite possibly the worst year to be a year 12) and have decided to take up an EPQ next year. Our organizer has told us to develop and gather some ideas. I thought I might try to make it relevant to modern (British/European) history as that is what I'm very passionate about and want to do at University.

Can you help suggest some questions that could be made about these topics? I would really appreciate it, even if it just helps my train of thought.

- Edwardian Britain 1901-1914
- Rise and Fall of British Empire
- UK Politics 1900-2000

Any ideas around those areas and modern history would be really helpful, thanks.
thatcollegegirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by thatcollegegirl)
Hiya,
I'm in year 12 (in quite possibly the worst year to be a year 12) and have decided to take up an EPQ next year. Our organizer has told us to develop and gather some ideas. I thought I might try to make it relevant to modern (British/European) history as that is what I'm very passionate about and want to do at University.

Can you help suggest some questions that could be made about these topics? I would really appreciate it, even if it just helps my train of thought.

- UK Politics 1900-2000

Any ideas around those areas and modern history would be really helpful, thanks.
I take A Level History, Politics and Applied law and hope to study Modern History at University of Southampton, Chichester or Winchester starting Autumn 2021.
Cubone-r
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hiya,

- UK Politics 1900-2000

I'm not too clued up on the first two topics, but in regards to "UK Politics 1900-2000" Margret Thatcher is always a good topic as she was a very controversial figure; some people loved her whilst others absolutely despised her. The period of around 1974-1990 is very interesting, you had a Labour government that very much believed in the idea of trade unions but they grew too powerful and led to mass strikes across many public sectors, which was detrimental to the UK economy. As a result, that Labour government grew unpopular and allowed Thatcher and her conservatives in to power as they were strongly against trade unions - she also oversaw in the Falklands war in the 1980s and not to mention the miner's strike in the same decade. So there's lots you could do on her.
thatcollegegirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cubone-r)
I'm not too clued up on the first two topics, but in regards to "UK Politics 1900-2000" Margret Thatcher is always a good topic as she was a very controversial figure; some people loved her whilst others absolutely despised her. The period of around 1974-1990 is very interesting, you had a Labour government that very much believed in the idea of trade unions but they grew too powerful and led to mass strikes across many public sectors, which was detrimental to the UK economy. As a result, that Labour government grew unpopular and allowed Thatcher and her conservatives in to power as they were strongly against trade unions - she also oversaw in the Falklands war in the 1980s and not to mention the miner's strike in the same decade. So there's lots you could do on her.
Thank you. What sort of question would you recommend based on that?
Cubone-r
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Thank you. What sort of question would you recommend based on that?
Perhaps something like, "Assess the view that Margret Thatcher created lasting social divisions in British society"
OR "To what extent did Thatcher's social and economic policies from 1979-1990 help those who voted her into power?"
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (58)
17.31%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (94)
28.06%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (128)
38.21%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed