How did you study to get Grade 9s in your GCSEs?

Watch
auudreylee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm currently preparing for my GCSEs. I was wondering whether or not my current revision method is efficient / effective, and I was also wondering how I should prepare for my Maths and English GCSEs. Thanks!

This is how I currently study:
1. I check the syllabus to make sure I'm covering the right topics.
2. I make notes for each topic to understand the info.
3. Based on what the topic is, I make revision materials (e.g. flashcards) and focus on consolidating the info.
4. I do practice questions, past papers, and test myself to make sure I know the info.

However, I don't have any review method, so I find that I often forget the information I have learnt six months later. What would be a good, non-time consuming way to review large amounts of information?
I also don't quite know how to study for Maths. You can't exactly make notes for Maths, so all I've been doing is many practice papers.
I'm also curious about Latin. People often say that it gets quite hard later on, is that true? How hard is getting a Grade 9 in Latin?

Do you have any other tips on how to achieve Grade 9s in your GCSEs? Thanks so much!
Gent2324
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
thats fine, just make sure that the 4th point you made is the biggest part.

i suggest you use the leitner system when revising for essay based subjects, theres an article about it here https://cognitate.co.uk/revision-techniques/

for maths youre right in saying you just need to do practice questions all the time, its very important you go over where you went wrong else its pretty much a waste of time. the website has maths questions too. also dont bother doing practice questions where youre getting all of them right, you should be doing ones you find difficult.
imogen_ga
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by auudreylee)
I'm currently preparing for my GCSEs. I was wondering whether or not my current revision method is efficient / effective, and I was also wondering how I should prepare for my Maths and English GCSEs. Thanks!

This is how I currently study:
1. I check the syllabus to make sure I'm covering the right topics.
2. I make notes for each topic to understand the info.
3. Based on what the topic is, I make revision materials (e.g. flashcards) and focus on consolidating the info.
4. I do practice questions, past papers, and test myself to make sure I know the info.

However, I don't have any review method, so I find that I often forget the information I have learnt six months later. What would be a good, non-time consuming way to review large amounts of information?
I also don't quite know how to study for Maths. You can't exactly make notes for Maths, so all I've been doing is many practice papers.
I'm also curious about Latin. People often say that it gets quite hard later on, is that true? How hard is getting a Grade 9 in Latin?

Do you have any other tips on how to achieve Grade 9s in your GCSEs? Thanks so much!
I actually didn’t do too much work for mine but I didn’t try to get them in every subject. I don’t see how you can forget the information if you’re doing past papers regularly because they should cover all grounds? I didn’t do Latin but I did get a 9 in Spanish. I learned a bunch of vocabulary using Quizlet flashcards that my teacher made (but that are available from other sources), did lots of past papers and kept up speaking practice with my teacher. I owe my 9 in maths to the past papers I did. With maths, you need to know what to look for and how to do the processes. With GCSEs especially, you’ll find patterns with exam question style from past papers so definitely don’t stop with those. There is no point doing past papers if you aren’t learning from your mistakes though. Make sure you note down all the questions you’ve gotten wrong and that you practice getting them right. See a teacher if you don’t understand something. Maybe try getting someone to test you or having a discussion with your teachers? Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (56)
19.18%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (63)
21.58%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (58)
19.86%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (63)
21.58%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (26)
8.9%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
8.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed