Strange application experience to Edinburgh

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I applied for an MSc in History to Edinburgh University, and my application was ultimately rejected. I wanted to write about my experience with the application and hear outside opinions on whether my experience was actually strange or whether I am just behaving like a disappointed rejected applicant.

I submitted all of my application materials on April 20th, but since I was still completing my undergraduate studies, I was not able to upload a final transcript or degree certificate. However, after completing my degree, I still had not heard back from Edinburgh. It had been two months since I submitted my application, but I did not find that strange given the current Coronavirus situation. When they became available, I uploaded my final transcript and degree certificate and waited another two weeks. To my delight, but also strangely, I received a conditional offer with a mathematically impossible academic condition that I would not have been able to fulfill even if I had received perfect scores in my final semester as an undergrad. This made me feel as if the admissions committee had barely looked at my application. They were asking that I upload my final transcript to prove I had met the academic conditions of my offer even though I had uploaded my final transcript and certificate several weeks before. I tried getting in contact with someone about how I had already uploaded my transcript and how the condition set forth was impossible to meet mathematically AND because the semester had been over for over a month. When I didn't hear back, I decided just to upload a duplicate copy of my final transcript and wait to see what happened. Only hours after re-uploading my transcript, I received the notification that my application had been unsuccessful, citing that I had not met the academic conditions of my offer.

I don't find my rejection strange, as it is true that I did not meet the conditions of my offer. But what I do find odd is that I was given a conditional offer in the first place and not just outright rejected. Essentially, I was given a conditional offer based on my final transcript that clearly states my final cumulative score and that my degree was complete, and then later rejected on the basis of the exact same document.

Am I correct in thinking that the admissions committee barely looked at my application? The whole situation seems strange to me and left me confused and disappointed.
Legiterspams
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I applied for an MSc in History to Edinburgh University, and my application was ultimately rejected. I wanted to write about my experience with the application and hear outside opinions on whether my experience was actually strange or whether I am just behaving like a disappointed rejected applicant.

I submitted all of my application materials on April 20th, but since I was still completing my undergraduate studies, I was not able to upload a final transcript or degree certificate. However, after completing my degree, I still had not heard back from Edinburgh. It had been two months since I submitted my application, but I did not find that strange given the current Coronavirus situation. When they became available, I uploaded my final transcript and degree certificate and waited another two weeks. To my delight, but also strangely, I received a conditional offer with a mathematically impossible academic condition that I would not have been able to fulfill even if I had received perfect scores in my final semester as an undergrad. This made me feel as if the admissions committee had barely looked at my application. They were asking that I upload my final transcript to prove I had met the academic conditions of my offer even though I had uploaded my final transcript and certificate several weeks before. I tried getting in contact with someone about how I had already uploaded my transcript and how the condition set forth was impossible to meet mathematically AND because the semester had been over for over a month. When I didn't hear back, I decided just to upload a duplicate copy of my final transcript and wait to see what happened. Only hours after re-uploading my transcript, I received the notification that my application had been unsuccessful, citing that I had not met the academic conditions of my offer.

I don't find my rejection strange, as it is true that I did not meet the conditions of my offer. But what I do find odd is that I was given a conditional offer in the first place and not just outright rejected. Essentially, I was given a conditional offer based on my final transcript that clearly states my final cumulative score and that my degree was complete, and then later rejected on the basis of the exact same document.

Am I correct in thinking that the admissions committee barely looked at my application? The whole situation seems strange to me and left me confused and disappointed.
yes they barely looked at your application. same with me, I applied for ug but they were taking too much time so I withdrew my application and anyways it wasn't my first first.
In any case, where are you studying right now and what course?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (37)
26.24%
As I expected (46)
32.62%
Harder (51)
36.17%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.96%

Watched Threads