Additional Comments:
I dont mind a 15 inch screen but don't want any bigger,

Thanks
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good specs, avoid (if possible) the 2015-2019 MacBook Pro series, due dodgy butterfly keyboards (£700 for a new keyboard?)

So the 2020 MacBook Air (Re-designed keyboard] specifically £999 1.1GHz Dual-Core Core i3 CPU 256GB Storage 8GB RAM would be fine. Eventually buy a 1TB rotary external HDD for backups.

That is “list-price” but you should be able to get some education discount, ask Apple on the phone?

Some of my friends like the MS surface, but it hasn’t quite clicked with me. I tend to buy used/renewed/ex-lease ‘indestructible’ Lenovo T420, X230 ‘bank’ laptops on AMZN or auction website, £200 for an (old) core i5, add your own ram, hdd, SSD, even m-SATA mini SSD’s but that gets you an interesting hobby mending computers, rather than, forget-it, it just works reliable computing. I have 5 Lenovos at present, (and a lot more macs)

The MacBookPro 2020 is very very fast, (Especially the more expensive versions), but chassis throttles the CPU speed due thermals - hence why the 2020 Air is a great balance

Remember that we’ll see Apple CPU arrays in next year laptop hardware, as developers transition to ARM code, through Rosetta 2. It should mean your university laptop might be a radical new design, better, faster, cheaper?! so again an educational priced MBA2020 looks cool
MedicWil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LuigiMario)
Good specs, avoid (if possible) the 2015-2019 MacBook Pro series, due dodgy butterfly keyboards (£700 for a new keyboard?)

So the 2020 MacBook Air (Re-designed keyboard] specifically £999 1.1GHz Dual-Core Core i3 CPU 256GB Storage 8GB RAM would be fine. Eventually buy a 1TB rotary external HDD for backups.

That is “list-price” but you should be able to get some education discount, ask Apple on the phone?

Some of my friends like the MS surface, but it hasn’t quite clicked with me. I tend to buy used/renewed/ex-lease ‘indestructible’ Lenovo T420, X230 ‘bank’ laptops on AMZN or auction website, £200 for an (old) core i5, add your own ram, hdd, SSD, even m-SATA mini SSD’s but that gets you an interesting hobby mending computers, rather than, forget-it, it just works reliable computing. I have 5 Lenovos at present, (and a lot more macs)

The MacBookPro 2020 is very very fast, (Especially the more expensive versions), but chassis throttles the CPU speed due thermals - hence why the 2020 Air is a great balance

Remember that we’ll see Apple CPU arrays in next year laptop hardware, as developers transition to ARM code, through Rosetta 2. It should mean your university laptop might be a radical new design, better, faster, cheaper?! so again an educational priced MBA2020 looks cool
They want a Windows laptop
Also Apple laptops are prohibitively expensive for no reason, you can find tons of Windows laptops that have the same, or better, specs for cheaper than an Apple
username612415
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SufK)
SufK's Laptop recommendation thread

Budget
£1000

Subject being studied
GCSE

Software that will be used
Microsoft Office

Screen size
13.3 inches

Operating system preference
Windows

Minimum amount of RAM
8GB

Minimum storage requirement
Atleast 128/256gb

Weight limit
Under 3lb

Used for playing games?
No

If yes, what games?
N/A

Touchscreen needed?
Don't mind

Are there any specific ports you need?
USB 3.0, USB-C/Thunderbolt 3

What devices do you have currently?
iPhone X, iPad, HP Pavillion

Laptops researched:
Laptop 1 - Macbook Pro 2019

Laptop 2 - Macbook Air 2020

Laptop 3 - Microsoft Surface Laptop 3

Additional Comments:
I dont mind a 15 inch screen but don't want any bigger,

Thanks
£1000 is a lot to spend for a Microsoft Office machine, you can spend half that amount and still get something lightweight and well built that will perform every bit as well as if you had spend your entire budget for your particular needs. This Huawei laptop is a great shout for £550.

https://www.box.co.uk/53010WHT-001-H...4_2916295.html
Last edited by username612415; 1 year ago
LuigiMario
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MedicWil)
They want a Windows laptop
Also Apple laptops are prohibitively expensive for no reason, you can find tons of Windows laptops that have the same, or better, specs for cheaper than an Apple
Thanks for your accurate reply, No, OP wished to run MS Office, which you can do better on a Mac than a windoze. (according to my mates in Seattle, who work for MS)

OP further stated

Laptops researched:
Laptop 1 - Macbook Pro 2019
Laptop 2 - Macbook Air 2020
Laptop 3 - Microsoft Surface Laptop 3

Only one of which is Windoze, and I did mention 3 Windoze machines, 2 Lenovos, in my reply! It’s a bit early for you to read, eh?

I vaguely considered one of the newer ASUS shiny Win10 machines on AMZN , but the last one I mended was very nearly destroyed by a random MS update, plus all the viruses etc etc, plus the loss of privacy, so I stuck with his/her 2nd researched laptop, technically correct choice for GCSE

Peace!
username612415
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LuigiMario)
windoze
Edgy.
LuigiMario
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That Huawei is a great choice at £550!, I like the M.2 that could easily be upgraded to 1TB later.
However, might Windows run on a Huawei device in 6-months, given how FVEY think the company is damaging the security of, randomly, NZ, AUS, CAN, UKUSA?

I just bought 3 Huawei 802.11ac routers for £30 each. Good quality, some head-scratching needed to set everything up, but in the end, very good value for money.
LuigiMario
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Six hundred for a low gamut display, admittedly with decent performance, Lenovo Ideapad 5 is a bit much £. Some specs claim alu case, others think the bottom is plastic?. I used to consider the ideapad range as a generic “supermarket PC”, prone to melting when used by youth on bed-spreads.

Lenovo’s business range T, X, W series is comparable to Apple’s laptops (the ones with working keyboards) in VFM terms.

Windows 10, by itself is not a bad OS, but shudder the telemetry, the total lack of privacy; in order to improve {something} we will send everything you think or do to Microsoft and partners, every keystroke, every search, the contents of your clipboard, your Wi-Fi password, It WILL be abused against you. Every windows PC, used by average people, I’ve found has gathered quite a collection of malware, toolbars, inappropriate software. A “dark web” attack vulnerability on Windows cost many dollars, and are endemic in use. Thankfully, MS Defender AV is pretty good.

Whilst Apple also gather telemetry {Terminal: netstat -ap tcp | grep -i "listen"} and {sudo lsof -PiTCP -sTCP:LISTEN}, they keep the data to themselves, and the price of macOS vulnerabilities is in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

For a young person, OP, doing GCSE’s, with a budget of £1K, MBA 2020 is a better choice than MBP 2019, or MS surface. Check the education discount!

...or to save money, whilst keeping better AV infosec than Windows, consider the £249 Acer 14” Chromebook
LuigiMario
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Yes, true! I agree with you on Google being worse than MS...... but a Chromebook, at least pre-uni, might be a reasonable compromise in terms of the exploitation of your data, as it does deliver a niche product, cloud based secure documents, very high reliability , for a very decent price - and is unlikely to suddenly stop working - as MS beta-tests semi-annual channel point upgrades by general releases on their user population)

apple's worse privacy failure - as noted by a Russian hacker - was to leave rather a lot of their user's cloud info, unencrypted, on servers in certain states, not that far away from certain agencies... but you can't argue with an NSL, for most users that's highly unlikely that they would be specifically targeted.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
3.73%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
17.16%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.91%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
14.18%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (39)
29.1%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.91%

Watched Threads