The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Is University of Portsmouth a good university?

Hello, Portsmouth University is my firm choice for Criminology and Criminal Justice, and I was wondering if anyone here has picked this option and whether or not you think it's a good choice as an university.
Culture wise Portsmouth is such a fantastic place. I know someone who went to Portsmouth to study computing and they really enjoyed it and said the campuses are massive with good facilities and libraries. Good location for travel, rent is cheaper, good job opportunities (retail or bar work as side jobs) with lots to see and do (especially if you’re into the Naval stuff). I live about an hour away from Portsmouth but go there frequently.
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Original post by ClaudiaVan
Culture wise Portsmouth is such a fantastic place. I know someone who went to Portsmouth to study computing and they really enjoyed it and said the campuses are massive with good facilities and libraries. Good location for travel, rent is cheaper, good job opportunities (retail or bar work as side jobs) with lots to see and do (especially if you’re into the Naval stuff). I live about an hour away from Portsmouth but go there frequently.

Thanks for the help!
Reply 3
If you mean good as in hard to get into then NO , portsmouth is a average university. but portsmouth is a very nice place full of all cultures and alot of activities to attend and do, Great fun if you look for it
Original post by PotatoChippole
Hello, Portsmouth University is my firm choice for Criminology and Criminal Justice, and I was wondering if anyone here has picked this option and whether or not you think it's a good choice as an university.

Hey just wondered if you’re now there because I was looking into the same course there as well? Thanks xx
Original post by Anonymous
Hey just wondered if you’re now there because I was looking into the same course there as well? Thanks xx

I'm studying there now and the course is interesting, because of covid teaching is online instead of mixed so I found some lectures boring.
I'm studying there now and the course is interesting, because of covid teaching is online instead of mixed so I found some lectures boring.

Oh ok... how do you find assessments? Are they similar to a level (hard core, lots of detailed writing) and do you just have one lecturer?

Thanks
I am going to copy and paste my reply, but yeah I agree with some of them, it is average and cheap city.

I am at this University, wouldn't recommend. The teachers are dumb and so are the most number of students. Students don't work hard at all and then will blame on teachers, and then teachers who also didn't give a **** will keep extending deadlines for months. Racism is at peak.
If you are into clubbing then I guess it is a good place (of course not during Covid). Otherwise not much to offer apart from few beaches.
If you looking for lazy life and blame it on others way, perfect university. If you serious towards life and become something, you can easily find a better place.
I shall quote some student's line:
"My experience in marketing is extraordinary. I sold my father's old items on Ebay."
"5 days to deadline, haven't started my work. All because this Uni is ****."
"Today is Friday which means no more studying for the weekend" (Deadline is in 5 days and this dude was struggling)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by a-username
I am going to copy and paste my reply, but yeah I agree with some of them, it is average and cheap city.

I am at this University, wouldn't recommend. The teachers are dumb and so are the most number of students. Students don't work hard at all and then will blame on teachers, and then teachers who also didn't give a **** will keep extending deadlines for months. Racism is at peak.
If you are into clubbing then I guess it is a good place (of course not during Covid). Otherwise not much to offer apart from few beaches.
If you looking for lazy life and blame it on others way, perfect university. If you serious towards life and become something, you can easily find a better place.
"My experience in marketing is extraordinary. I sold my father's old items on Ebay."
"Today is Friday which means no more studying for the weekend" (Deadline is in 5 days and this dude was struggling)

Not every uni is perfect every single institution has its defaults but with uni it depends on what course you choose to join... honestly you sound very upset and it just really sounds like your not around the best people for you cause I’ve heard others experiences and yours sounds overly dramatic 😂

Also racism is at peak to who👀 cahhhh- and from my thorough research Portsmouth has a lot to offer and such a beautiful place I guess it just not for you...oops some 🥴
hey what course are you on currently? how helpful have they been with online learning?

hey what course are you currently studying and do you find their online teaching effective
Reply 11
Original post by a-username

Well this forum escalated quickly.

Are you sure this is an entirely fair and accurate representation of Portsmouth uni as a whole? I'm from Portsmouth and have had many friends go on to study there and a majority of them have good experiences.

I'm sure it does have it's faults and some students are left feeling upset with the level of teaching or education that it is made available to them, but I know this isn't the case for everyone at the uni. In fact I have heard really good things for the most part, recent years of uni rankings will only suggest it's getting better too if I am correct. I am intrigued to know what you study as you are so upset about it?

To anyone thinking of going to Portsmouth- Don't let the opinion of one person influence your take on a university, but ask around, see what the majority say and do some proper research before making a decision. I have heard tonnes of good things about Portsmouth and I am thinking of heading there myself to do a masters.

Hi!

Sorry for the late response! I am currently a Second Year Psychology student at UoP and personally I have really enjoyed my experience here so far :smile:

I have had no issues with my course or the University itself, they have always been so responsive and friendly! The place is also lovely, a good mix of a city and beach, and is also very diverse.

If you have any other questions about the University please let me know and I'd be happy to answer them for you.

Sian- UoP Rep :smile:
Original post by izzy evans
hey what course are you on currently? how helpful have they been with online learning?

Hi there,

I am currently a second year engineering student at Portsmouth.
The university and lecturers have been fantastic with moving to online learning. From a course that would normally involve lots of practical and lab work, the alternatives offered have been great considering the current situation we are in.
Lectures and like normal, just online, with them being recording so you can come back to them for notes or revision. A problem I had was running software for my course on my laptop, however the IT services were super helpful and allowed me to remotely connect to a university computer.
Overall, the university is great with adjusting to the restrictions from COVID-19.

I do hope this is helpful :smile:

Ethan - UOP Rep
Original post by Lyonellez3
I really need to know just how bad the racism is because i am black and I’m honestly not looking to want to drop out because of heavy ignoranc

Hello, I do not consider myself able to answer that question since I am not black and I do not want to say anything that might be not true from someone else's perspective. Personally, I have not noticed racism last year at my course and Portsmouth as a city is fairly diverse with people from different cultures and countries.
Original post by Lyonellez3
I really need to know just how bad the racism is because i am black and I’m honestly not looking to want to drop out because of heavy ignorance and hate

I am not black but belong to minority. Faced a bit of racism within the education system. Teachers will treat you different (you not notice in beginning but you slowly get to see as the year progresses). This is not true for every course and depends on the course you doing and what teachers you get. Apart from the professors, the coursemates and flatmates are really nice, you don't have to worry about racism outside of uni education system.

Quick Reply

Latest