Will I be a home or an EU student? Will I have to pay for my masters?

Watch
Milan1055
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
As you may heard, the student finance won't be available for EU student from next year anymore.
I am an EU student as I didn't had my 5 years of residency in the UK when I started my BSc course. I've been here for 6 years now, and I will start my third/last year from this September.
The question is, what are the requirements to become a Home student, so I won't have to pay for my Masters in 2021 from my own pocket?
I couldn't find the requirements, but I think 5 years of residency is required before the course starts, to be classified as a Home student at the Loans company. Anything else?
Also, will my classification change automatically, or I'll have to contact the Student Finance?
NeroliTenzing
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Milan1055)
As you may heard, the student finance won't be available for EU student from next year anymore.
I am an EU student as I didn't had my 5 years of residency in the UK when I started my BSc course. I've been here for 6 years now, and I will start my third/last year from this September.
The question is, what are the requirements to become a Home student, so I won't have to pay for my Masters in 2021 from my own pocket?
I couldn't find the requirements, but I think 5 years of residency is required before the course starts, to be classified as a Home student at the Loans company. Anything else?
Also, will my classification change automatically, or I'll have to contact the Student Finance?
You would have to reapply and send in ID for a new masters course, they would process from there. I dont think years in uni here count towards residency unfortunately, it would still be based on years in England before your course. But until the government puts out the full conditions for 2021, you won't know for sure what the rules will be.
Milan1055
Rep:
?
(Original post by NeroliTenzing)
You would have to reapply and send in ID for a new masters course, they would process from there. I dont think years in uni here count towards residency unfortunately, it would still be based on years in England before your course. But until the government puts out the full conditions for 2021, you won't know for sure what the rules will be.
I moved to the UK when I was 13, and now I am 20. The criteria says, 5 years of living in the UK before your course start date. My masters would be a new course at a different uni, so I guess it should count towards. I couldn't find any specific details about it though..
They changed the rule right before I started my undergrad degree course, as it used to be 3 years to become a home student. So they changed it to 5, but I was here for only 4,5 years at that time.. I might contact Student Finance, as I lived here for nearly 7 years, and my MSc is a different course, therefore I would be able to study on home fees in 2021.
Last edited by Milan1055; 1 week ago
NeroliTenzing
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Milan1055)
I moved to the UK when I was 13, and now I am 20. The criteria says, 5 years of living in the UK before your course start date. My masters would be a new course at a different uni, so I guess it should count towards. I couldn't find any specific details about it though..
They changed the rule right before I started my undergrad degree course, as it used to be 3 years to become a home student. So they changed it to 5, but I was here for only 4,5 years at that time.. I might contact Student Finance, as I lived here for nearly 7 years, and my MSc is a different course, therefore I would be able to study on home fees in 2021.
Fingers crossed, I'd post it on ask student finance England. But they might not have full Ts and Cs for next sept yet.
daniel_98
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
hi, I am an EU student as well and only have pre-settled status at the moment so not sure about you, but I've called Student Finance and they said I couldn't get a loan for a masters at the current state of things, but that I should call them again when I'm around finishing my degree (end of next academic year) to find out because the whole thing is a grey area at the moment.
Milan1055
Rep:
?
(Original post by daniel_98)
hi, I am an EU student as well and only have pre-settled status at the moment so not sure about you, but I've called Student Finance and they said I couldn't get a loan for a masters at the current state of things, but that I should call them again when I'm around finishing my degree (end of next academic year) to find out because the whole thing is a grey area at the moment.
Oh okay, thanks for letting me know
I have a settled status, and I even did my GCSEs here, so I'm full of hope.
Then I guess we have to wait for further announcement.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (83)
18.65%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (90)
20.22%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (84)
18.88%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (97)
21.8%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (44)
9.89%
I haven't started researching yet (47)
10.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise