What do you think of my charcoal/pencil sketches?

Watch
Turtle01
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi guys,

So, I'm taking a Gold Arts award (a project where you make/experience/review art, among other things) and for this I need to get some feedback on some of my artwork.

i've done these sketches using skills I learned from a different art form (oil/acrylic painting) and I'm wondering what you think of them.
With the three landscape sketches, the idea was to draw some very rough shapes in charcoal (this was as a preliminary to a painting.)

The jar/amphora and the mushroom are using the tonal box method, where you layer tones on top of each other, starting with the lightest, and the bird was an attempt at semi-free-flowing marks on paper.

Any thoughts on what you liked or think I could improve would be really welcome!

Name:  IMG_3049.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  18.5 KBName:  IMG_3047.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  22.9 KBName:  IMG_3046.jpg
Size:  18.2 KBName:  IMG_3045.jpg
Size:  24.6 KBName:  IMG_3044.jpg
Size:  28.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3048.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  31.9 KB
laurawatt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Moved to the creative corner forum
Dee-Emma
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Turtle01)
Hi guys,

So, I'm taking a Gold Arts award (a project where you make/experience/review art, among other things) and for this I need to get some feedback on some of my artwork.

i've done these sketches using skills I learned from a different art form (oil/acrylic painting) and I'm wondering what you think of them.
With the three landscape sketches, the idea was to draw some very rough shapes in charcoal (this was as a preliminary to a painting.)

The jar/amphora and the mushroom are using the tonal box method, where you layer tones on top of each other, starting with the lightest, and the bird was an attempt at semi-free-flowing marks on paper.

Any thoughts on what you liked or think I could improve would be really welcome!

Difficult to know what you're looking for here... The landscapes work well enough as preparatory sketches for painting - a quick note-taking method. I find the other three images a bit of a mixed bag. The bird has some vigour conveyed in a few strokes, but I find your tonal methods in the remaining two images a little unrefined for finished works, more even shading and softer graduations and transitions would work better for me. Not sure of the lighting direction on the jar either, both left and right edges in shadow and no shadow cast on whatever surface it sits on. How long did these images take? Did you do multiple attempts at each? Sometimes repetition allows refinement and a clearer understanding of the subject. Hth.
Turtle01
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dee-Emma)
Difficult to know what you're looking for here... The landscapes work well enough as preparatory sketches for painting - a quick note-taking method. I find the other three images a bit of a mixed bag. The bird has some vigour conveyed in a few strokes, but I find your tonal methods in the remaining two images a little unrefined for finished works, more even shading and softer graduations and transitions would work better for me. Not sure of the lighting direction on the jar either, both left and right edges in shadow and no shadow cast on whatever surface it sits on. How long did these images take? Did you do multiple attempts at each? Sometimes repetition allows refinement and a clearer understanding of the subject. Hth.
Thank you! That's really helpful. I get your point about the shading, as the method I've used is a bit limited, with only a few basic shades. I haven't done more than one version in each case, but I can see how they might benefit from being redone/refined. I can't actually remember how long most of these took, but I certainly didn't spend hours on them, as they were meant to be fairly small projects.
Turtle01
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurawatt)
Moved to the creative corner forum
Thanks for doing this, looks like it helped. :-)
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Turtle01)
Hi guys,

they're better than anything i'm capable of, but i've seen sketches with far more fine detail
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
CoolCavy one for your expert opinion
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (83)
18.74%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (90)
20.32%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (84)
18.96%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (96)
21.67%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (44)
9.93%
I haven't started researching yet (46)
10.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise